⚽ Crystal Palace 4-3 West Ham Utd (29/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Re: Crystal Palace vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Marky wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 am Zouma out for season likely to be confirmed in 24 hours. The swelling is so bad

This is from Ex not me !
Oh dear. Hope he comes back stronger.
I don't think ogbonna is a huge downgrade on Zouma anyway so no need to panic.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:03 am Oh dear. Hope he comes back stronger.
I don't think ogbonna is a huge downgrade on Zouma anyway so no need to panic.
Ogbonna ís a huge downgrade imo.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Struggling to think of a team that has committed more comical defensive **** ups than us in a season.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Been away for a few days so I missed this and the Liverpool game but just caught up with highlights. Couple of big backward steps after the Arsenal, Gent and Bournemouth games it seems.
I think the penalty was harsh (yet again) but from the limited highlights I would say we got what we deserved. It is not often you score 3 times anyway from home and come away with nada but defensively we seem so porous. Eze and Zaha always seem to fill their boots against us. We used to have a solid record at Selhurst but for some reason I had no confidence about yesterday’s game and would have snapped up the draw before kick off.
Yet again we are running the same core eleven players into the ground. Whether that’s because of injuries, lack of confidence in other players to cover or misplaced loyalty is something only the Manager knows. It hurt us last season and is hurting again.
I would honestly bank a 3-0 defeat on Wednesday night if it was available as damage limitation. However, for some unfathomable reason I reckon when the red Mancs are here next Sunday night we will beat them and get the three points that will see us safe.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Patsy Belgium wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:06 am Struggling to think of a team that has committed more comical defensive **** ups than us in a season.
We do constantly defend, it makes sense that it would be us.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Don’t know if it’s been posted already but do you think he’ll get a retrospective ban for diving and winning a pen as per Lanzini? :chin:
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Xabbu wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:13 am Don’t know if it’s been posted already but do you think he’ll get a retrospective ban for diving and winning a pen as per Lanzini? :chin:
Lanzini hurdled a leg breaker and got a yellow card at the time. Compare the two "challenges". Total and utter hypocrisy.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I think Oggy is a downgrade. I always felt risky not changing the team at CB
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Marky wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:39 am I think Oggy is a downgrade. I always felt risky not changing the team at CB
Oggy Coufal and Cresswell are still technically good defenders, but probably leaves us with the slowest back line in PL history, far from ideal against Citeh and their red shirted neighbours. Moyes could revert to a back 3, but then we are back to only having Emerson as a passable wing back. Let’s hope some of the early Zouma reaction turns out to be premature and he’s back in a week or so, but another big quick centre back who doesn’t break down every month is a summer priority.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

A few posters on here talking about the players being physically and mentally tired, particularly Rice and Bowen.

To be honest, I'd be mentally tired if I was was busting a gut, week in week out, trying to grind out results while playing that style of insipid football, coupled with continuously bad individual performancesl

As a footnote, my hope for the rest of the season is to stay up and win The ECL. Then it's goodbye David and thanks for everything and get a manager in that will have us playing something better than the predictable s**t we've seen over the past season and a half.

If he stays, I can't really see myself tuning in to watch (or attending to watch) that dirge. I really do take my hat off to you guys and gals who pay on a regular basis to turn up and watch it live.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mattyD wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:16 am Lanzini hurdled a leg breaker and got a yellow card at the time. Compare the two "challenges". Total and utter hypocrisy.
No
They got rid of that retrospective thing for diving ages ago

Also, rightlynor wrongly, if there is contact (no matter how slight) it won't be deemed a dive as no one can know for certain if the attacking player was impeded sufficiently to make them lose their footing

Tbf there is not a player in the professioniknal gane (or amateur game for that matter) that won't go down easily on occasion when there is a penalty to be won.

It has always happened. It happened when I was playing Saturday football twenty y years ago
Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Joffrey »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:36 am The only time WHU have scored more away from home in the Premier League this season was last week at Bournemouth. :ball:

Win 4-0. Lose 4-3. It's the West Ham way you all wanted... :crest:

Next week: Manchester beckons. As does a lesson from City before glorious redemption against that other mob. :crestnew:
If we had played some decent football and lost 4-3 I would agree with you. We were really poor yesterday, I don’t think anyone wanted that.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Joffrey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:02 am If we had played some decent football and lost 4-3 I would agree with you. We were really poor yesterday, I don’t think anyone wanted that.
Yep. Three corners. You could put the whole Stoke City team on steroids and they couldn't guarantee a corner goal every game, let alone three.

Without the set piece variance swinging back in our favour recently, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like. We're an awful, awful watch as it is even with those goals.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Marky wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 am Zouma out for season likely to be confirmed in 24 hours. The swelling is so bad

This is from Ex not me !
Didn’t bring in centre half cover on loan last January, limped over the finishing line and fell short in the Europa League.

It appears Moyes/the recruitment team didn’t learn their lesson from last year and we could suffer the same fate thanks to that.

How can a so-called Premier League club play half a season with just three recognised centre halves!?

For a manager who tells us how badly he wants to win a trophy he’s got a funny way of showing it.

One season is bad enough. Two seasons is unforgivable.

Here’s hoping Zouma’s injury isn’t as bad as first feared, or Oggy and Aguerd can stay injury free for the rest of the season.
Bucksexile
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

What has happened to our passing game?

Just don't seem to be able to complete a pass from midfield. We used to be really good at that. Now, we just give the ball away.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Bucksexile wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:51 am What has happened to our passing game?

Just don't seem to be able to complete a pass from midfield. We used to be really good at that. Now, we just give the ball away.
Did we really have a passing game under Moyes? I say that was more in focus with Bilic and Pellergrini.

Not that we never had a passing style under Moyes but it's usually rare and we go back to basics when we are struggling and it's not a pretty watch at all.
Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Joffrey »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:48 am Didn’t bring in centre half cover on loan last January, limped over the finishing line and fell short in the Europa League.

It appears Moyes/the recruitment team didn’t learn their lesson from last year and we could suffer the same fate thanks to that.

How can a so-called Premier League club play half a season with just three recognised centre halves!?

For a manager who tells us how badly he wants to win a trophy he’s got a funny way of showing it.

One season is bad enough. Two seasons is unforgivable.

Here’s hoping Zouma’s injury isn’t as bad as first feared, or Oggy and Aguerd can stay injury free for the rest of the season.
He must consider Kehrer a viable centre back. Anyone fancy chipping in for a humungous amount of cotton wool to wrap Ogbonna in until 11 May?
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:54 am No
They got rid of that retrospective thing for diving ages ago

Also, rightlynor wrongly, if there is contact (no matter how slight) it won't be deemed a dive as no one can know for certain if the attacking player was impeded sufficiently to make them lose their footing

Tbf there is not a player in the professioniknal gane (or amateur game for that matter) that won't go down easily on occasion when there is a penalty to be won.

It has always happened. It happened when I was playing Saturday football twenty y years ago
There was absolutely no contact yesterday that meant he was actually falling over. It's a dive. I don't know what Sunday league you played in but if that happened when I played, or when my kid plays now, it would be laughed off the pitch or worse. The whole 'entitled to go down' narrative is just hypocrisy, like there's some part of the professional game we all don't understand. It was a blatant dive, that even in the championship would have been yellow carded. Look at his legs, no impact whatsoever and he throws himself to the floor. He was also through on goal, so why no red card for Aguerd then? He's not going for the ball. If that's a foul it's a straight red.... which they can't give because it's not actually a foul.

Also Lanzini was given a retrospective two game ban for diving, check out the picture to see what contact actually looks like.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42417298
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:33 am hopefully fine for next sunday and the semi. could have been avoided; tired players get injured !
This is a huge stretch. His foot was trod on. Nothing to do with tiredness.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Joffrey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:02 am If we had played some decent football and lost 4-3 I would agree with you. We were really poor yesterday, I don’t think anyone wanted that.
It's what I like to refer too as Ceefax Football. You're more than happy to walk past a bank of tellys in Rumbelows to glance at the latest scoreline and goal scorers, but you wouldn't want to actually watch that style of football for 90 minutes for real.