⚽ Crystal Palace 4-3 West Ham Utd (29/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Re: Crystal Palace vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Diogenes »

Colours never run wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:57 pm
Ad Hominem CNR.
Crikey, and you call me condescending. I freely admit I can be, and don't forget patronising. I try not to be, but there you go. You on the other hand are boring, repetitive and change the goal posts repeatedly. I didn't name any particular poster, but nice of you to put your hand up. To your credit you sometimes post good stuff, but spoil it by going for the poster rather than logically and politely refuting the point.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I know Wilko posted that he isn't convinced, but chuffin' it's completely demoralising for the individual..

chasing a ball around for almost 90 minutes in the hope that you get it, move it up field really quickly and then turn one of your almost nil efforts into a goal.

as a player, albeit not to a great level, but playing against a team that kept the ball all game was dreadful. every mistake was magnified every ball given away ditto.....

as a full time season in season out directive, it's a hard ask. eventually players wear out unless you have a complete squad from top to bottom able to fit in and keep topping it up every year.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 604 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

I could moan about the defeat today,but I won't,but I will moan about the use of the squad.

If Moyes keeps playing nearly the same team,we will be burned out before we even play AZ Alkmaar.

We are beginning to implode already.What doesn't he get?Didn't he see what happened last year?That hangover seemed to last until 2 weeks ago?

That is the trouble,he is stubborn and he won't change anything.We may get away with not going down,but we are going to be totally f*cked when it comes to the Conference League.He really is playing with fire.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^Rice and Bowen in particular looked burnt out already.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

kentboleyn wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:18 pmWhen you see him sitting down for most of the match ,not in the technical area, what message does that send to the team? Answer,none.
You're right KB, though probably not in the manner in which you intended.

It's a long time since I've heard criticism of the manager on this Forum for not moving around enough on the sidelines*.

I've been out, but has anyone dared suggest that today's defeat may not be solely down to the manager (whether that be tactics, team selection or sitting down too much) but because the win at Bournemouth left the players thinking they were home and dry?

* Glenn Roeder, in case anyone's wondering.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:52 pm
I've been out, but has anyone dared suggest that today's defeat may not be solely down to the manager (whether that be tactics, team selection or sitting down too much) but because the win at Bournemouth left the players thinking they were home and dry?

It's the managers job to motivate the players.
If he cannot or sees some are not maybe he should try some of the others who you would imagine are hungry to prove themselves for a European semi final.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:46 pm ^^^^Rice and Bowen in particular looked burnt out already.
But should they be? It's their only job and get paid squillions for doing it. Mental fatigue, perhaps, but physical? Everybody else has to work 5 or 6 days a week on the trot (no breaks). Many in physical or mentally demanding careers (surgeons, doctors, builders, etc.) have to deliver each and every day. I think too much is made of 'tiredness'. I could be wrong, but these are young athletes with the best of the best training facilties, physios, recovery facilities etc. etc.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:52 pm ...........
I didn't see much evidence of complacency today. I did see a tired core of players being outplayed and outrun by a side who haven't been playing two games a week for a month. I also saw us concede possession to a side who had the pace and skill to exploit it without any visible attempt to change things.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Diogenes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:59 pm But should they be? It's their only job and get paid squillions for doing it. Mental fatigue, perhaps, but physical? Everybody else has to work 5 or 6 days a week on the trot (no breaks). Many in physical or mentally demanding careers (surgeons, doctors, builders, etc.) have to deliver each and every day. I think too much is made of 'tiredness'. I could be wrong, but these are young athletes with the best of the best training facilties, physios, recovery facilities etc. etc.
I agree, but to me they looked knackered from the kickoff. As to why Image
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:59 pm But should they be? It's their only job and get paid squillions for doing it. Mental fatigue, perhaps, but physical? Everybody else has to work 5 or 6 days a week on the trot (no breaks). Many in physical or mentally demanding careers (surgeons, doctors, builders, etc.) have to deliver each and every day. I think too much is made of 'tiredness'. I could be wrong, but these are young athletes with the best of the best training facilties, physios, recovery facilities etc. etc.
And people in those jobs you mentioned get tired as well, mentally and physically.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:24 pm Ad Hominem CNR.
Crikey, and you call me condescending. I freely admit I can be, and don't forget patronising. I try not to be, but there you go. You on the other hand are boring, repetitive and change the goal posts repeatedly. I didn't name any particular poster, but nice of you to put your hand up. To your credit you sometimes post good stuff, but spoil it by going for the poster rather than logically and politely refuting the point.
I admit to equally being condescending at times but only to those that first dish it out. And you're right it wasn't aimed at just 1 person, it was worse instead making a sweeping statement regarding a fair bit of the match thread. Even though I read many decent posts too but you don't want to mention that and laugh it off in the usual tone you do.

I actually do try for the most part to tackle the post and keep a lot of what I'd like to say to myself, but when you make sweeping muggy posts like you just did, then I'll happily stand up and challenge you/anyone else doing likewise. To be fair to you, you're not the only one and you certainly ain't the worst.

And I actually do like some of the points you make, just not the way you just presented that previous post.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Don't think anyone suggests players are not able to play this volume of games.

Can they perform to the 100% standard needed at pinnacle sport, in my opinion no.
If you are not at it in the premier league you are probably going to get beaten. The margins are that tight. It's a really competitive league and only man city can go.at 75%.

Yes other professions have to do as you say 5-6 days on the trott.
In those situations are they always performing at 100%? No I don't think they are.
Doctors and Nurses have bad days and make mistakes too. Particularly when they are over worked. Something that seems easy takes just a bit longer. A hesitation.
Geoff Hurts
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Geoff Hurts »

:kumbnew:
And all of those people you mention will have off days, loss of form, call it what you will. I know it happens to me on occasion.

The problem for West Ham is that it would appear to be a collective loss of form or poor performance. Difficult enough carrying a couple of passengers, but that was a whole different level of 'not at it'.

I don't think the level of remuneration comes into it, even though us poor lowly paid, mediocre specimens may think it should.
King1968
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by King1968 »

Come on chap's we looked awful today Palace looked dangerous all game we looked dangerous at corners, they had pace hardly gave the ball away, they looked miles better than us, they had a way of playing we looked slow and clueless and couldn't keep the ball,we're in the **** and the only thing will save us is possibly 2 teams being worse than us ,Moyes has to go regardless of what happens in Europe, Today tells us everything about Moyes out played and out fought by a decent manager.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

8-)
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:05 pm I agree, but to me they looked knackered from the kickoff. As to why Image
I know what you mean but I am not sure 'knackered' is the right word. Throughout the season (no matter how many games we have played) we have lacked intensity, focus, motivation, fire. This is where I agree with the Moyes critics, its down to the Manager and staff to get this right. We often seem 'lethargic', last to the 2nd ball etc. That isn't tactics or being knackered, that's about being up for it. It's also about the manager before and the 'captain' to lift his team and be the Manager on the pitch. I think it is technically known as a kick up the arse!
kentboleyn
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:52 pm You're right KB, though probably not in the manner in which you intended.

It's a long time since I've heard criticism of the manager on this Forum for not moving around enough on the sidelines*.

When hes not in the technical area what message doea that send to the team? Every things ok, our tactics are working, no adjustments are needed?I accept hes no Arteta or Kloppin the technical area, but id like to se him a bit more animated especially when we are fighting for every point.
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by Pob! »

Just seen it again absolutely no way that's a penalty against us..

Diving c***!
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Even Robbie Savage said it wasn't and he takes great pleasure in winding our fanbase up
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Pob! wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:40 pm Just seen it again absolutely no way that's a penalty against us..

Diving ****!
Watching it live I thought Aguard had pulled him down ….but watching it again on MOTD he clearly dived …..how can VAR not see that from their various TV angles
I was all for VAR …. But this week has convinced me that our referees & VAR are the worst in the world
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:52 pm

I did.

I'm convinced some of these players think we're safe already. Their poopers will be going in a few games time when we're stuck on the same points as we are now with 2 games left.