⚽ Crystal Palace 4-3 West Ham Utd (29/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3198 likes

Re: Crystal Palace vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by WCpete »

How many times did Olise, Eze and Zaha dive today? 5X? 10X? It could have been in double figures. I can't believe officials haven't got them tagged as repeat offenders and put them on the watch list.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 603 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:59 pm But should they be? It's their only job and get paid squillions for doing it. Mental fatigue, perhaps, but physical? Everybody else has to work 5 or 6 days a week on the trot (no breaks). Many in physical or mentally demanding careers (surgeons, doctors, builders, etc.) have to deliver each and every day. I think too much is made of 'tiredness'. I could be wrong, but these are young athletes with the best of the best training facilties, physios, recovery facilities etc. etc.
These players are finely tuned.If there is a small percentage missing,it can make all the difference in a game,especially how Moyes sets up to play,(running around without possession for most of the game).You really have to be 100% on it.How many teams through out the years have you seen blown winning Trebles/Doubles, because they have just run out of steam,because the amount of games they have played?LOADS

With Moyes not wanting to make full use of the squad is just suicide.The first sign of madness is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting to come up with a different result.It's last year all over again.It's Deja vu.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

goa127 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:12 am I agree and so will Moyes so a safety first bore fest ensues. After their 5-1 brainstorm at Leeds Palace appear to have reverted to not having shots on target 0-0 or 0-1 I reckon
Showcasing my prediction skills to full effect!
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:02 pm I didn't see much evidence of complacency today. I did see a tired core of players being outplayed and outrun by a side who haven't been playing two games a week for a month. I also saw us concede possession to a side who had the pace and skill to exploit it without any visible attempt to change things.
This. Moyes had to make better use of the squad today - and should also have been more reactive to the tactical changes clearly needed on the pitch. This has always been his achilles heel
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3499 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The only time WHU have scored more away from home in the Premier League this season was last week at Bournemouth. :ball:

Win 4-0. Lose 4-3. It's the West Ham way you all wanted... :crest:

Next week: Manchester beckons. As does a lesson from City before glorious redemption against that other mob. :crestnew:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Palace were a yard quicker and wanted it more and If we were honest played some good stuff at times and that told in the fact we didn’t score from open play.
Was it tiredness?
Declan was pretty anonymous as was bowen, paqueta struggled as did the back two.
Absolutely livid with benrahma.
But its just so evident we still after 3 seasons need to find solutions to left back, right back, left wing and a few others but we were outpaced today. We need more pace.
Mind you its the first time i’ve heard any pundit finaly say that we should be doing better with the squad we have.

But i’m worried now that we could go into europe on the back of 4 defeats with our confidence shot and still worried about relegation.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

moyes cannot play the same bunch against city on weds. more running without the ball than ever is likely. our core players should be rested and back against man utd next sunday. coufal zouma rice soucek paqueta bowen antonio should all be on the bench. so what if we lose this 5-0 with the reserves? we are losing this big time no matter what. it is drastic but moyes should have rested more yesterday; could we have played any worse ? yes we scrambled in 3 goals but palace were superior in everything !

worst game by rice this season. he needs a day off.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I don’t know if it’s already been posted on this thread or not, but this was Zouma leaving the ground after yesterday’s game………

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

hopefully fine for next sunday and the semi. could have been avoided; tired players get injured !
TheCharlatan
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by TheCharlatan »

Midfield were running on empty after 30 mins yesterday which made the hooking of Fornals at ht even more strange.

He could have taken Rice and Paqueta off moved Fornals into middle,pushed Emerson further up and brought Downes and Cresswell on.

He rotated the wrong players.
mike1961
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by mike1961 »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:36 am Win 4-0. Lose 4-3. It's the West Ham way you all wanted... :crest:
True.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The same bloke was on VAR for both these incidents by the way……

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

VAR is useless as its run by the same clowns it was brought in to improve upon.
thiago was a handball and a penalty
olise was not enough contact to bring the diver down ; so no penalty.

corrupt or useless who knows but it will bite us again before the season is over. wont be needed against city but I suspect the man utd VAR team are getting briefed now !
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2691 likes
Total likes: 1787 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

How come you're allowed to grapple away like you're a top wrestler at a WWE match when a corner is taken but touch someone's arm lightly and it's a penalty ?

Football has become inconsistently daft .
mattyD
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by mattyD »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:26 am How come you're allowed to grapple away like you're a top wrestler at a WWE match when a corner is taken but touch someone's arm lightly and it's a penalty ?

Football has become inconsistently daft .
Indeed. The premier League is broken. They were the better side undoubtedly but that's not the point. It's just cheating, diving all over the place, diving for a penalty. And the ref laps it up, VAR laps it up and the pundits bleat on with "he's entitled to go down". The officiating in this country is appalling, no sense of authority.... or even reality. And it's all just accepted. Even five years ago a dive like that would have been condemned, probably in some xenophobic framing. Just call it what it is.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

What is apparent from the picture above is that the ref most likely did not have a clear of the penalty "incident," which begs the question as to why he gave it in the first place?

If he gave it on the assumption that VAR would call him over to check again then clearly there is/was a major problem in communication and the use of VAR in such instances.

The fact that it was the same guy who disallowed our goal against Chelsea earlier in the season cannot be overlooked. I seem to recall that this ref (Gillet I think his name is) was recruited from Australia where he had a bit of a reputation let's say.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Said it before but VAR only solves the Binary things like offside and not much else because the bloke on VAR is making random calls on whether a situation is deemed worthy of sending the ref to the monitor. So its all subjective anyway.
And to add to that, West Ham are an easy club to say "no" to. Always have been.

If that's Man City on the final day of the season, they are 2-1 up, need 3 points to win the PL, and their defender does what aguerd did (touches players hip with fingernails) We all know the Ref is getting sent over to the monitor.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Zouma out for season likely to be confirmed in 24 hours. The swelling is so bad

This is from Ex not me !
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Marky wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 am Zouma out for season likely to be confirmed in 24 hours. The swelling is so bad

This is from Ex not me !
It's just hilarious how obvious it all is.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I suppose it is about speed of movement
If you are running at pace with the ball there is a judgement to be made as to the impact qny kind of touch might have on your balance/ ability to get your shot away. No one can be 100% certwin except the player 'fouled

I don't think the Olise one yesterday warranted a penalty but once the on field ref has given it, that is not going be overturned. If it hadn't been given on field then VAR woukd not have given it either. I think the new guidelines are to stick with on field decision where possible.

Tbf his defending for the penalty was poor though. He got goosed by Olise. Also, yes Emerson should have done better for 2nd goal but what came after from a number of players was very very poor