BBQ 2024

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

BBQ 2024

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Guess there'll be a few people lighting up for the first time this year, including me. Have cleaned & lit my stupidly oversized 57cm Weber Smokey Mountain for the first time in at least 6 years, and stuck some St. Louis trimmed spare ribs I picked up in Farmfoods yesterday at £10 for a 2Kg side (which at £5/kg is pretty decent), covered in yellow mustard and dusted with a fairly basic & hastily mixed spice powder. They'll get 2.5 hours smoking over apple wood before they get wrapped in paper & foil and stuck back on for an hour, then painting with Blues Hog sauce (sent over by my colleagues in Texas) and back on uncovered for 15 minutes.

Bit anxious, as my wife's invited people round, and I'm well out of practice on the smoker, but I guess I can still order pizzas or something if I do **** it all up.

Anyone with any recipes, tips, bargains & suchlike might want to stick them here.
Last edited by dasnutnock3 on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Re: BBQ 2023

Post by jevs »

Very good and quick BBQ sauce recipe. No cooking needed.

2 parts tomato ketchup
1 part soy sauce
1 part maple syrup/honey
1 part brown sugar

I also add other things like garlic, chilli and to be honest, anything you want. Has a high sugar content so be careful if you use it as a marinade as it'll burn easily
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I am tempted to invest in a rotisserie for my Weber Spirit. The question is do go for OEM or risk something off of Amazon. :chin:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:40 pm I am tempted to invest in a rotisserie for my Weber Spirit. The question is do go for OEM or risk something off of Amazon. :chin:
Something like that probably is in the "buy cheap, buy twice" bracket. If you're gonna use it you might as well get a decent one.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Slide on down to Costco and grab the following

-Big pack of chicken thigh fillets (no bone)
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-Soy Sauce
-Garlic Powder
-Large Pack of Dinner Rolls.
-Ranch Dressing
-Singles.

Mix a cup of the vinegar with the soy, and add half a cup of olive oil, and a very healthy shake of garlic powder. Then, place the chicken in the mixture, and leave it to marinade in the fridge overnight. The following day, pre-heat your propane grill to 150, and cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes, twice on each side (four times in total).

Then, split a dinner roll in half, smear it with ranch, add a cheese single and a cooked chicken thigh, and help yourself to a wonderful slider with a beer/soft drink of your choice.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Had the whole [ immediate ] family over last weekend - just the 5 of us .

I suggested we should have a barbeque ....trouble is we didn't have one .

We had some charcoal but nothing else .

I went down to the bottom of the ' garden ' where I knew we had 2 x metal framed tables - just the frames , no tops are anything .

I brought up the smaller of the 2 and found 2 old oven shelves that I'd kept for the purpose of making a home made barbeque some time in the future - one of them just about fitted - I lay the other one on top . After sticking both through the dishwasher I set about building up the barbeque -

I carried up 4 breeze blocks I had laying about the bottom of the garden along with some old patio slabs I'd stored there -

I fashioned some chicken wire bending it into a large rectangular shape and laid it on top of the breeze blocks and patio slabs and placed the metal table frame over them - I then placed 4 roof slates in each corner propped into place by rocks / stones to keep the charcoal in place .

My Daughter said ' I honestly didn't think we were going to have a barbeque tonight - when I saw you carrying up those breeze blocks I thought you'd gone mad , you're an absolute genius , Dad ' .

Nice to be appreciated . Got some pictures of it on Jen's phone if I can figure out a way of getting them on here .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I always put a shrimp on mine. Trouble is it burns away to nothing and then there's nothing else left to eat. Don't know what the Aussies see in this. It's definitely overrated
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 546 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:33 am I always put a shrimp on mine. Trouble is it burns away to nothing and then there's nothing else left to eat. Don't know what the Aussies see in this. It's definitely overrated
A shrimp ?
Wouldn’t it fall through the grill ?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:30 am Had the whole [ immediate ] family over last weekend - just the 5 of us .

I suggested we should have a barbeque ....trouble is we didn't have one .

We had some charcoal but nothing else .

I went down to the bottom of the ' garden ' where I knew we had 2 x metal framed tables - just the frames , no tops are anything .

I brought up the smaller of the 2 and found 2 old oven shelves that I'd kept for the purpose of making a home made barbeque some time in the future - one of them just about fitted - I lay the other one on top . After sticking both through the dishwasher I set about building up the barbeque -

I carried up 4 breeze blocks I had laying about the bottom of the garden along with some old patio slabs I'd stored there -

I fashioned some chicken wire bending it into a large rectangular shape and laid it on top of the breeze blocks and patio slabs and placed the metal table frame over them - I then placed 4 roof slates in each corner propped into place by rocks / stones to keep the charcoal in place .

My Daughter said ' I honestly didn't think we were going to have a barbeque tonight - when I saw you carrying up those breeze blocks I thought you'd gone mad , you're an absolute genius , Dad ' .

Nice to be appreciated . Got some pictures of it on Jen's phone if I can figure out a way of getting them on here .
Peter after reading that I think you are actually MacGyver :grin:

all I can see is this now :crossed:

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/summer-gri ... 676341626/
Last edited by ageing hammer on Mon May 01, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

johnk1
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by johnk1 »

Sold my Weber Smokey Mountain last year and invested in a Kamado Joe. It’s so versatile and works for everything from low and slow such as ribs and brisket, roast dinners, reverse sear steaks and most general bbq.

The accessories are expensive but very well built. Most used currently is the rotisserie attachment - whole peri peri or gui yang chicken come out really well. Happy to post recipes if anyone is interested.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:21 pm
:crylol: Was just going to post that..
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Okay, not BBQ but I did a pork should in the slow cooker yesterday. 10 hours on low in a marinade of Pepsi and Morgan Spiced. Pretty bloody good if I do say so myself.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

So I finally stumped up and bought a decent barbecue the other week after years of grilling away on barbecue shaped bit of old tin with a grill on top.

£220 for a Cosmo Grill XXL Smoker. What's even better is I had £150 in vouchers so it only cost me £70.

https://cosmogrill.com/products/xxl-cha ... r-barbecue

Now I'm well out of practise with smoking and slow cooking, so all tips welcome. I started with a few wings and ribs last weekend. The cajun rub on the wings was decent and they came out decent, even the kids liked them, but the barbecue rub I used for the ribs was all wrong. Does anyone have a recipe for a good barbecue sauce? Otherwise I'll just make one up and see what happens.

I've also grabbed some hickory, applewood and mesquite smoking chips. I've got my parents coming round this bank holiday so I'm thinking of smoking and slow cooking some ribs at least.

Eventually I'll work my way up to a leg or lamb or shoulder of pork or something. Mrs Sendo has already informed me she wants me to smoke a whole salmon for her. One step at a time.
Last edited by sendô on Tue May 02, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Looks very swish, Sendo. I don’t have any experience with offset smokers, would be nice to compare with the WSM.

As for bbq sauces, Newsman’s is pretty good - no dodgy ingredients or anything. I found mixing some blues hog (sugary American bbq sauce) with the resting juices from the ribs after they’d been wrapped, then adding some cornflour and heating in the pinger made an excellent finishing sauce. Took some of sugary edge out of the sauce and glazed them beautifully.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Eggy getting pulled on a BBQ thread, now that's impressive! :grin:

First proper BBQ of the year coming up for me this weekend, weather looks good presently, looking forward to it. Shop tomorrow/Thursday night so can get the meat marinated fully.

Seen brown sugar is getting lots of talk, not sure if this a new thing or not, or just made a reappearance, but thinking using that for a jerk marinate.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:29 pm Eggy getting pulled on a BBQ thread, now that's impressive! :grin:

Pulled Pork ? :grin:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Will be venturing into the shed this weekend to dust down the BBQ - it’s a gas one, so probably won’t go down with the purists!! 😉

One of my favourites is sea bass, wrapped in foil with lime and ginger. Also partial to a bit of halloumi and a home made lamb kebab.

As for sides, I prefer a variation on a red cabbage coleslaw - red cabbage, carrots, diced dried apricots, spring onions and corriander if I have it. Rather than drowning it in mayo, I make a simple Vietnamese dressing - a dessert spoon of each of the following - cider vinegar, honey, olive oil, soy sauce and a half a teaspoon of chopped fresh chillies (amend to taste).
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:59 pm Will be venturing into the shed this weekend to dust down the BBQ - it’s a gas one, so probably won’t go down with the purists!! 😉

One of my favourites is sea bass, wrapped in foil with lime and ginger. Also partial to a bit of halloumi and a home made lamb kebab.

As for sides, I prefer a variation on a red cabbage coleslaw - red cabbage, carrots, diced dried apricots, spring onions and corriander if I have it. Rather than drowning it in mayo, I make a simple Vietnamese dressing - a dessert spoon of each of the following - cider vinegar, honey, olive oil, soy sauce and a half a teaspoon of chopped fresh chillies (amend to taste).
Ohhh, won't somebody please think of the shedless!

Don't know why but this thread is strangely reminding me of 'King of the Hill'..