BBQ 2024

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: BBQ 2023

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

ageing hammer wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:19 pm Peter after reading that I think you are actually MacGyver :grin:

all I can see is this now :crossed:

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/summer-gri ... 676341626/

That's genius .

I'm off to buy a sledgehammer to remove the downstairs toilet - don't need two of them .

Argos have this one for £55 - looks good enough for the likes of us poor peasant folk with less money than sense .

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5981887 ... R=plp:1:33

Failing that , steal one of those small shopping trolleys from your local supermarket and build a great big fire underneath it , you could fit a couple of geese in one of those - we get loads land in next door's garden in February/March .
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Up at 6:30 to prep the smoker for pulled pork, only a smallish shoulder (2kg, de-boned). Painted in yellow mustard & sugar/spice dust*, and injected with apple juice for a bit of additional moisture & sweetness. Took about 6h to smoke the shoulder (4h unwrapped, then 2h in a roasting tray, foiled), which is now resting for half an hour before painting & returning to the smoker for a final candying. Delighted to be using my smoker again, been far too long.

*paprika, brown sugar, s&p, garlic powder, mustard powder. I'm banned from using cayenne or anything spicy due to my kid's unsullied palates.
johnk1
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by johnk1 »

My first attempt at a proper (St Louis) rack of ribs on the Kamado Joe. Prepped with yellow mustard and a dry rub from the Salt Lick. Smoked for 2 hours then placed in a foil boat for another hour, now basting with a simple bbq sauce for 10 minutes each side and they are just about done.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I am a barbecue GOD.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Are you available for weddings and functions?
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

S-H wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:43 pm Are you available for weddings and functions?
At a price, maybe 🤣

Honestly, couldn’t be more piss easy. Anyone with an interest in outdoor cooking should get a smoker, doesn’t have to cost the earth. My first couple of smokers cost buttons, not much difference between a cheap one and a fancy one, other than capacity and burn time. Something like this would probably be a decent starting point:

dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

BTW my main tip, no matter what kit you’ve got and what you’re cooking, is to clean your bbq as soon as you can. So it in the morning, or the evening (if it’s cooled), and get it covered. I don’t care what anyone says about burning off the detritus next time you use it - it’s minging, and will taste nasty.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:48 pm BTW my main tip, no matter what kit you’ve got and what you’re cooking, is to clean your bbq as soon as you can. So it in the morning, or the evening (if it’s cooled), and get it covered. I don’t care what anyone says about burning off the detritus next time you use it - it’s minging, and will taste nasty.

Dan I want to buy a new bbq weber master kettle thingy. I just done up the garden new decking and grass etc looks liker a show garden now :grin:

The issue I have is that if it rains during the time I am using it I am afraid it will rust. I can't wheel it under my new patio as the roof is plastic polycarbonate and will probably warp. I can't put a cover over the bbq while it's still hot either so that's my worry what do I do to stop the rain ruining the new weber. What about a patio umbrella thingy over it when it pisses down?
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

ageing hammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 pmWhat about a patio umbrella thingy over it when it pisses down?
I've actually done this in the past, but it's mostly unnecessary. Weber kettles are enamel coated, and not really prone to rusting, so it's pretty unlikely you'll need to make any special arrangement to cover it if it's raining. Just wait til it cools, then give it a wipe down before you put the cover back on (after thoroughly cleaning it first etc).
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Wash out Saturday, in a scouse accent "we go again".
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

ageing hammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 pm Dan I want to buy a new bbq weber master kettle thingy. I just done up the garden new decking and grass etc looks liker a show garden now :grin:

The issue I have is that if it rains during the time I am using it I am afraid it will rust. I can't wheel it under my new patio as the roof is plastic polycarbonate and will probably warp. I can't put a cover over the bbq while it's still hot either so that's my worry what do I do to stop the rain ruining the new weber. What about a patio umbrella thingy over it when it pisses down?
I wouldn't worry too much, my weber kettle is at least 15 years old, it has been outside ever since I've had it and there isnt any rust on it at all.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Thanks Dan and WhuBen :newthumb:
The Old Man of Storr

True Story -

Years and years ago when Jen and I were both young her Dad built a barbeque in his garden - he made a bloody good job of it too truth be told , all brickwork , he never followed any plans ...just built it - had brick shelving and all the measurements were spot on for the grill shelves .

He lights the charcoal .....waits until it gets to the right temperature .......then...........

He goes and sticks a frying pan on the grill . :grin: :crylol:

I mean , I shouldn't have laughed , I don't think I did even , was too shocked if I remember right .

He had the skills [ which I totally lack ] but obviously didn't quite grasp how a barbeque works .

I also saw a neighbour of ours [ on Skye ] put a Scotch Pie onto a barbeque .

Sigh . :(
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Nothing wrong with sticking a pan on the grill, but you’d want to use a cast iron skillet else you’ll probably damage a non-stick one. Depends what you’re cooking and how - could use one to butter baste a steak, cook some bacon to top a burger, or make a bbq sauce.
The Old Man of Storr

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:53 am Nothing wrong with sticking a pan on the grill, but you’d want to use a cast iron skillet else you’ll probably damage a non-stick one. Depends what you’re cooking and how - could use one to butter baste a steak, cook some bacon to top a burger, or make a bbq sauce.

Bob was cooking the burgers in it .
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:16 pm Bob was cooking the burgers in it .
Seen that done before, too - avoids flare ups as the fat hits the burning coals, which can give the burgers a nasty soot taste. Not really my style, but far from uncommon, especially in the States. As a matter of fact, I've got another cast iron skillet coming in the post today, they're excellent for cooking over coals (as well as the gas hob & in the oven). Really versatile bit of kit.
dal
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by dal »

ageing hammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 pm Dan I want to buy a new bbq weber master kettle thingy. I just done up the garden new decking and grass etc looks liker a show garden now :grin:

The rain will dry if the bbq is hot. Mine is also 10 plus years old, i cover it when not in use and have no rust issues. You get for what you pay for
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Thanks Dal, looks like I am ok so.

Going to try get a Weber kettle next month this is the one I am thinking of.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/c ... 01004.html
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:05 pm Up at 6:30 to prep the smoker for pulled pork, only a smallish shoulder (2kg, de-boned). Painted in yellow mustard & sugar/spice dust*, and injected with apple juice for a bit of additional moisture & sweetness. Took about 6h to smoke the shoulder (4h unwrapped, then 2h in a roasting tray, foiled), which is now resting for half an hour before painting & returning to the smoker for a final candying. Delighted to be using my smoker again, been far too long.

*paprika, brown sugar, s&p, garlic powder, mustard powder. I'm banned from using cayenne or anything spicy due to my kid's unsullied palates.
What do you use as fuel Dan? Just ordinary coals?
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:15 pm Thanks Dal, looks like I am ok so.

Going to try get a Weber kettle next month this is the one I am thinking of.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/c ... 01004.html
That is a VERY nice piece of kit. Some decent prices for the kettle range here: https://gardytools.co.uk/grills/ and for just a few bucks more, you could consider the GBS, which has a nifty side table attached (and a better storage area below the grill) https://gardytools.co.uk/weber-performer-gbs/