Artificial Intelligence

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Re: Artificial Intellgence

Post by Samba »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:48 pm But I am equally concerned with being a mid 40 year old white, heterosexual male
Your name iz already on ze list... as is mine, probably..
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1971 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Geoff Hurts wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:53 pm
My job involves a lot of variety and physicality, going to many different sites and accessing all sorts of areas from roof tops to attic spaces, basements, barely accessible plant rooms, and the great outdoors. These are the things that are currently beyond A.I. As a warning for thinking my/your job is safe I would offer up the fact the the Wright Brothers first ever powered flight was only 120 years ago and 66 years after that first fliight man first set foot on the moon.

Technological advancement is happening at an incredibly fast pace and I have little doubt that in 40 to 50 years, or less, a fully functioning android will be able to do what I do and, unlike me, it won't need to go for a piss after every cup of tea that it drinks.
I'd have thought it would be more like 4 or 5 years. Gulp.

You probably know far more than I do on the subject, but I think there are already self-piloting drones that can do the "looking" and "measuring" bits of the job, even in confined environments.

This sort of thing.... https://www.flyability.com

At present, I think the collated data is assessed by a real live person to determine pass/fail/repair/replace/whatever, but it's really just a matter of following a bunch of flow diagrams which is already well within the capability of machines. I think it's just insurers who want to keep the human element for now, because it's easy to lump the blame on a person but less easy to place fault with an automated system involving multiple layers of software running on multiple layers of hardware. Or something.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Geoff Hurts wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:41 pm With all the talk in the media concerning the deployment of artificial intelligence (A.I.) I was wondering if any of you had concerns for your jobs.

I actually lost my job yesterday of all days .

The cleaning of our Holiday Let -

It involves a bit of light dusting , hoovering [ which I take great pride in ] , mopping the tiled floor , I'll occasionally clean the toilet but I try leaving that to Jen [ it's women's work and I'm a white , slightly tanned heterosexual male ] - I'll sometimes clean the microwave if I have time and give the fridge a once-over - I don't like cleaning the oven but I will do it if forced - I sometimes empty the small bin if the guests haven't done so already and then clean it thoroughly - I haven't been trained in cleaning the shower or changing the bed linen and if I'm being perfectly honest I'm not that good at polishing the bedroom mirror .

Yesterday , my wife decided to train up our son .

Apparently he did a much better job , not only did he give the cupboards , desks , bedside tables a light dusting but he cleaned the inside of the drawers too [ something that never occurred to me ] , cleaned the windows and the frames all the while whistling as he worked , the little b*stard was actually enjoying it .

There were some positives as I got to see Place In The Sun , not a bad episode as it goes , that Scottish blonde bird with the long legs was on , she's replaced Jasmine as my favourite Place in the Sun Presenter as she's younger and fitter .

I always suspected that my intelligence was more superficial than artificial .
Geoff Hurts
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Geoff Hurts »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:50 pm I'd have thought it would be more like 4 or 5 years. Gulp.

You probably know far more than I do on the subject, but I think there are already self-piloting drones that can do the "looking" and "measuring" bits of the job, even in confined environments.

This sort of thing.... https://www.flyability.com

At present, I think the collated data is assessed by a real live person to determine pass/fail/repair/replace/whatever, but it's really just a matter of following a bunch of flow diagrams which is already well within the capability of machines. I think it's just insurers who want to keep the human element for now, because it's easy to lump the blame on a person but less easy to place fault with an automated system involving multiple layers of software running on multiple layers of hardware. Or something.

My knowledge is limited to the media articles that are written on the subject. A few of the manufacturers are now also releasing media statements about it.

As for my work, it involves a great deal of manipulation in different environments and equipment layouts, so at this time is beyond simple robotics and algorithms. This will change as the ability of machines to learn by experience and to make decisions becomes a reality. Science is pushing for sentient, self aware A.I.

The systems I am referring to need no human intervention for fault diagnosis. The computer system collates data from hundreds or thousands of machines world wide. The data is compared with machines that go into fault. The computer system has the ability to then see what parameters have changed leading to the failure and when this is replicated it can advise that a service is required to prevent failure. It can also advise if parts are required. Sadly from a job perspective that is the here and now.

As for the future of AI, at the point AI becomes self aware, is the intelligence artificial or is it devine by nature with man becoming its God as the benevolent, or not so benevolent creator. Will it have a sense of good and evil or will it self learn those ideas? Will mankind teach it those ideas?

Imho. it is a dangerous path that we are on and the consequences are unpredictable to any real degree of certainty. Weaponising this technology or allowing it control over very important systems, whether they be civil or military, could be a huge mistake.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Geoff Hurts wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:41 pm With all the talk in the media concerning the deployment of artificial intelligence (A.I.) I was wondering if any of you had concerns for your jobs.
I think people had similar worries during the Industrial Revolution - physical automation of previously manual jobs transformed industries such a cloth making, mining etc. and increased productivity to previously unimagined levels; the people who owned the factories and machines got rich and some jobs disappeared.

However in the long run I think people gravitated to new jobs, such as operating and maintaining the machines, or meeting the increased consumer demands of the newly rich managers. Those who suffered were those with few transferable skills (similar to many of the miners in the 1980s).

I expect AI will see the gradual death of some jobs as new technology comes in, but the creation of new ones that we haven't even thought of yet. Many of us need to be prepared to adapt, but it will be a slow process.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Alexa - Clean next door .
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:47 pm Alexa - Clean next door .
Back door would be handy
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

southbrishammer wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:56 pm I think people had similar worries during the Industrial Revolution - physical automation of previously manual jobs transformed industries such a cloth making, mining etc. and increased productivity to previously unimagined levels; the people who owned the factories and machines got rich and some jobs disappeared.
Very true. One other outcome of the first industrial revolution was that we became very prosperous as a nation. Which makes it even more surprising that we're so tardy and suspicious regarding the latest instalment of industrial revolution.

We took a couple of big wrong turns during the Thatcher and Blair years. While the rest of the industrial world was learning how to get better at making stuff, we sat around counting our money and slapping ourselves on the back. And now it's happening again, except we haven't actually got any money.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Artifical intelligence has been introduced into music production and overnight it's more or less made mastering engineers redundant. Results that you would have paid, hundreds or thousands for are now available at your fingertips. Good in a way for sure as it cuts down engineering time but a downside is that a lot of studio engineers may find themselves having to find work elsewhere in other fields as their days really are numbered.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:24 am Artifical intelligence has been introduced into music production and overnight it's more or less made mastering engineers redundant. Results that you would have paid, hundreds or thousands for are now available at your fingertips. Good in a way for sure as it cuts down engineering time but a downside is that a lot of studio engineers may find themselves having to find work elsewhere in other fields as their days really are numbered.
Yeah, I recently got some Izotope plugins (Ozone, Nectar, Neutron) and they really make it quick and easy to get a polished sound on a demo. They make everything sound the same though, unless you tweak it afterwards, so I suppose there's still a place for a pair of ears and some sentient decision making.

It's kind of like those photoshop-style filters that you get on phone cameras. Everyone's an instant expert, but everything looks the same.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

When the supposed godfather of AI resigns, Dr Hinton from Google due to concerns we should be worried right?

Not intelligent enough to understand it in truth, but I imagine if you give something it's own brain and the power to act on it it surely that can become it's own universe and protectionism take over? I know I'm talking a bit Terminator here, but that's my lack of knowledge and understanding of it all.

As for my job, 50% is strategic I guess (I imagine AI could kill me on that), 50% people management, that bit I can't see for a looong time, maybe??
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

I posted this on the Mental Health thread but it's probably more suited here:
A woman I'm interested in and have known for years, and I have been getting closer (messaging only, we live in different countries). Long story short, she has told me she is unreliable (true but I don't care) and feels she will ony end up disappointing me.

Out of curiosity, I asked Chat GPT for advice, as this is a purely human situation. I've used it for specific tech stuff and some presentation work but I wanted to see how it would do with relationship advice.
Armed with just the woman''s warning, without any context except that I was asking for advice, it came up with:

"If the person you're interested in has already expressed that they are not reliable and may end up disappointing you, it's important to take their words seriously and proceed with caution. While it's understandable to feel drawn to someone, it's not worth investing your time and emotions into a relationship that is likely to cause you disappointment and pain.

Here are some relationship advice to consider:

Set realistic expectations: Be clear about what you expect from the relationship and communicate this with the person you're interested in. If they are unable or unwilling to meet your expectations, it may be best to move on.

Give them a chance: If you're willing to take the risk, you could give the person a chance and see if they surprise you by being more reliable than they initially indicated. However, be prepared for the possibility that they may disappoint you.

Take it slow: If you decide to pursue a relationship with this person, take it slow and don't invest too much too quickly. This will help you manage your expectations and minimize the risk of disappointment.

Focus on your own well-being: Regardless of whether you decide to pursue a relationship with this person, make sure you prioritize your own well-being. Don't neglect your own needs and feelings in the pursuit of a relationship.

Remember, a healthy and fulfilling relationship requires trust, respect, and reliability from both parties. If the person you're interested in is not willing or able to provide these things, it may be best to look for someone else who can."

So nothing a 1st year psychlogy student or someone with a bit of common sense couldn't knock up but, crucially, nothing weird or out of place either.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

It clearly doesn't use KUMB as part of it's database, or else it would have asked for pics.
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

We should be worried about how fast and freely AI is progressing. Its not just about chatbots and art. Whilst good things can come out of it there will be many insidious things too.
This is a good presentation by the people who made 'The Social Dilema'. It's an hour long but very watchable and informative with some very concerning research and facts.
It will blow your mind until your unevolved human brains can no longer comprehend the incomprehensible after...
DublinDave
Has liked: 2747 likes
Total likes: 1776 likes

Post by DublinDave »

As an accountant who works for himself, I can see AI making my job easier, (possibly), but I don't fear being replaced by it.
In case of fraud etc they'll always need a human to blame..!
It will certainly make auditing accounts a more streamlined experience but once again, a human will have to sign off on it.
Could certainly affect the jobs of accountants who work for the "big 6" or large accounts departments in multi nationals though as less people would be needed to do the work, theoretically.
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

Do you all have self driving cars in London yet? San Francisco is overrun with them. They're almost as ubiquitous as Teslas, and seemingly every 3rd car on the road here is a Tesla. These bot cars scare the crap out of me. I've seen some near disasters caused by them.

As for AI in general, I would have thought that code writing engineers should be very nervous about their jobs still being available in the near future. Presumably AI will write code much faster, with much fewer errors at a fraction of the cost.
Samba

Post by Samba »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:53 pm It clearly doesn't use KUMB as part of it's database, or else it would have asked for pics...
...and told you to wipe your knob across its screen..
Samba

Post by Samba »

WCpete wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:41 pmDo you all have self driving cars in London yet? San Francisco is overrun with them. They're almost as ubiquitous as Teslas, and seemingly every 3rd car on the road here is a Tesla. These bot cars scare the crap out of me. I've seen some near disasters caused by them.
I don't think so yet, Pete.
However, self driving cars might end up being safer than certain minicab companies over here..
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen some sh*t.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:04 pm Yeah, I recently got some Izotope plugins (Ozone, Nectar, Neutron) and they really make it quick and easy to get a polished sound on a demo. They make everything sound the same though, unless you tweak it afterwards, so I suppose there's still a place for a pair of ears and some sentient decision making.
That's what I'm using too, Ozone really is a revelation if used correctly. There's also another one called Gulfoss by Soundtheory which is basically an intelligent EQ which they say prepares the audio so that your brain can get the most information out of it. This is done by boosting and cutting certain frequencies so as your brain can process the music easier. Really does make a difference to the mix from my experience.