It's grim up Norf

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Re: It's grim up Norf

Post by OFT »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:47 am Anywhere past that ****hole Luton is the north, no ifs or buts. In fact, they can have Luton, the real armpit of the UK.
Too late, I've already given you Stoke :winker:
MaylandHammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by MaylandHammer »

Always remembered chuckling about a road sign just outside of Abridge (little village in Essex just on the outside of the outskirts of greater London) saying "THE NORTH" as you headed towards Epping !

Then when driving up the A1 towards Durham, nearly 250 miles away, seeing the exact same sign saying "The North" straight on.

Often wondered if it was possible to just input The North in to a sat nav & see where it took you :crossed:

For me Birmingham defines the north, but my nest mate who lives in Glasgow considers that almost as part of France !
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Samba wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:46 pm Perhaps pronounciation might help?
If you pronounce them b-ath, cl-ass & laff, you're northern.
If you pronounce them barth, clarss & larf, you're a southerner.
That would be my dividing line.
A former boss of mine told me about his encounter "up norf". It was an informal business get together at the pub. He was from Sussex and the client was from "up norf" and a few others from the south made up the rest of the group.

My boss asked everyone what they were drinking. Upon asking the norferner, the norferner replied "cork. Just a cork". He said he asked the norferner if he was sure he just wanted a "cork". He got the round in and gave the fella a cork. The norfener laughed and said no I wanted a "cork", a bit like a pepsi.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Now here's the thing...........

I've personally never seen a definite North/South divide as there's this chunk in the middle called The Midlands.

Now where The Midlands starts and finishes is another debate entirely!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:29 pm A former boss of mine told me about his encounter "up norf". It was an informal business get together at the pub. He was from Sussex and the client was from "up norf" and a few others from the south made up the rest of the group.

My boss asked everyone what they were drinking. Upon asking the norferner, the norferner replied "cork. Just a cork". He said he asked the norferner if he was sure he just wanted a "cork". He got the round in and gave the fella a cork. The norfener laughed and said no I wanted a "cork", a bit like a pepsi.
Yeah... it's a problem. I always ask for pepsi now for that reason.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

OK... my serious attempt at an answer.

So the top 3 regions (the North West, the North East, and Yorkshire & Humber) are what I would call the proper north

The two side-by-side regions below are the midlands (East and West) - an area disowned by both northerners and southerners alike. Derbyshire is probably the closest to being stereotypically northern from those areas.

Bottom 4 regions are what I would think of as the south although I'd still find it difficult referring to a Cornish person as a southerner. I think when a northerner thinks of a southerner, they tend to have London and the South-East in mind with maybe the southern section of East of England (ie Essex) and the eastern areas of the South West (Dorset and Wiltshire)
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Isn't it where 'lorry' becomes 'wagon'?
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:26 pm OK... my serious attempt at an answer.
Pretty much agree - in my mind the dividing line is rather broad and runs from the Severn estuary up to the Wash!
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:43 pm Spare a thought for Bishop's Stortford FC
After their promotion this year, they have been put in the Conference North division!
This is hilarious!!

Having lived there as a kid, you could not find a more definitive example of a southern town than BS. It's what them northerners think all of the south is like - quiet, semi-detached and conservative.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 619 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I remember staying with a friend in Horsforth near Leeds - we'd gone out for a few beers as was customary back in the day and we stopped at the local Chippy for something to eat on the way back to Martin's -

Martin explained to me that the colloquial term for Fish & Chips was ' Once ' ..

By now I was getting the giggles ' If I want 2 portions of fish and chips do I say ' Once Twice ? ' .

' No , you'd ask for two portions of fish and chips ' .

By now I couldn't stop giggling and people were beginning to stare at me . :grin:

I don't know how I kept it in but I just wanted to start singing that Lionel Ritchie song .

Thankfully , I didn't .

Funny lot , Northerners , especially those from Yorkshire .
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:07 pm You can’t seriously consider Cornwall in the north? They’re a funny bunch of peninsula dwelling celts, but certainly not northern.

I’m happy to draw the line at north of the M4. That way we can disown Swindon.
Swindon’s the South - they’ve got a more south east accent than the Bristolians.

I lived in Cheltenham for 8 years after moving there from Maidstone - that’s the Midlands.

Been in Bristol since 97 which I’d say is although “West Country” is south.

I’d put the north as anywhere further than Brum.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Hammer.CA wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:46 am
****ing superb :crylol:
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:24 pm I remember staying with a friend in Horsforth near Leeds - we'd gone out for a few beers as was customary back in the day and we stopped at the local Chippy for something to eat on the way back to Martin's -

Martin explained to me that the colloquial term for Fish & Chips was ' Once ' ..
That's a new one for me too.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

You can tell how northern a person is by their perception of hot and cold when it comes to the weather.

To a true northerner, 15 degrees is a hot summers day. I've been in vest and shorts mode for at least 2 weeks now.

I can tell these Nottingham folk aren't proper northerners as they're still wearing jackets on the school run in the morning.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:24 pm
Funny lot , Northerners , especially those from Yorkshire .
You can always tell a Yorkshireman but you can’t tell him much.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

beaten by seconds Headbanger
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Especially for you JBB.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

How can you tell a mouse is Northern? It squeaks as it finds.