🏆 UCLF: ACF Fiorentina 1-2 West Ham Utd (7/6/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Re: ACF Fiorentina vs West Ham Utd: match thread (UEFA Europa Conference League Final)

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Bucksexile wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:21 pm I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed this tournament.
Same. And I think I'd feel the same regardless of our participation.

UEFA get an awful lot wrong, but I think the structure of these three European competitions is a real success. The only bit that's really debatable is teams dropping down from one competition to another, but even that feels like it works pretty well to me. I'm not sure a club Sevilla being bounced out of the Champions League group stages every year would be a better outcome.

Obviously all of this will go to the wall soon with the restructure of the "Champions" League, but never mind...
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Re: ACF Fiorentina vs West Ham Utd: match thread (UEFA Europa Conference League Final)

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:24 pm Has Fornals done enough in recent weeks in order to replace Benrahma on the left side for the final ?

He's given DM a bit of a headache, I hope.
I'd start him but I think Moyes will stick with the front 6 that has been first choice for the 2nd half of the season. He's definitely played well enough that he should be the first change Moyes looks to if we need some impetus going forward.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:35 pm I'd start him but I think Moyes will stick with the front 6 that has been first choice for the 2nd half of the season. He's definitely played well enough that he should be the first change Moyes looks to if we need some impetus going forward.
Whatever Benrahma brings, Fornals has a better engine and that's where it all starts. Workrate.

That said, I agree. I think Said will get the nod and good luck to him.
Last edited by WestHamLyallStyle on Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestHamLyallStyle

I'm assuming Cresswell will start as he's had an Indian summer of sorts.
WestHamLyallStyle

Uptonogood247 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:32 pm The fact we’ve struggled in the league will also be the fuel for other teams fans to say it’s a nothing cup
Yep. Let 'em get on with it. It's a touch of the green-eyed monster.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

There’s no way Benny should be dropped.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:24 pm There’s no way Benny should be dropped.
I'm Fornals' biggest fan, and I agree.

Think he's more dangerous off the bench in a game like this.
BigFatSam

Post by BigFatSam »

BigFatSam

Post by BigFatSam »

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:39 pm Whatever Benrahma brings, Fornals has a better engine and that's where it all starts. Workrate.
Surely we have enough workrate in the side already?

Let's have an ounce of flair in there too. As a treat.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

S-H wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:28 pm I'm Fornals' biggest fan
He knows you're not, as it happens.
WestHamLyallStyle

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:50 pm Surely we have enough workrate in the side already?

Let's have an ounce of flair in there too. As a treat.
As you prefer.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Re Benrahma vs. Fornals, for me it depends on whether the Fiorentina right back is solid or whether a dribbler can get at him. Horses for courses.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Gaz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:17 pm Re Benrahma vs. Fornals, for me it depends on whether the Fiorentina right back is solid or whether a dribbler can get at him. Horses for courses.
They seem to play with vast amounts of space in behind the full backs.

For me, the question is who do I trust the most to find the right pass, pick the right time to shoot and make the right decision if they are given all this space.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:33 pm
The kid in the middle busting a move :crylol:
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:33 pm Same. And I think I'd feel the same regardless of our participation.

UEFA get an awful lot wrong, but I think the structure of these three European competitions is a real success. The only bit that's really debatable is teams dropping down from one competition to another, but even that feels like it works pretty well to me. I'm not sure a club Sevilla being bounced out of the Champions League group stages every year would be a better outcome.

Obviously all of this will go to the wall soon with the restructure of the "Champions" League, but never mind...
If anything it gives clubs like us an, arguably, easier route to Europa League football than trying to finish top 6 in the premier league.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

This may Interest those attending..

https://mapcarta.com/W4882812

Click picture to enlarge...
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Fiorentina play tonight if anyone wants to have a peek.

Vs Sassuolo. I would imagine a heavily rotated squad.
WestHamLyallStyle

I don't know anybody else but I've got bruises all up my arm from where I keep pinching myself that my beloved West Ham United are playing in a EUROPEAN final in five days time.