ACF Fiorentina

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Felixstowesfinest
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Re: ACF Fiorentina

Post by Felixstowesfinest »

SJack wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:54 pm No, we use them to make our trousers look stylish.
😂👏🏻👏🏻
Having seen us play v Roma and Napoli I can concur that them mofos love a belt
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

That was a proper through the eye of a needle pass for Fiorentinas goal. They do seem to play some nice flowing football. If we pack the box and defend deep like we did vs AZ we can prevent that sort of thing.

Everything that I’ve seen and heard about how they play seems to suggest our style would nullify and counter them well.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If Fiorentina play as they did last night, our front boys will get the kind of space they are rarely offered in the PL.

They reminded me of Bielsa's Leeds. Not as high intensity and a bit more physically adept with Milenkovic and Amrabat in particular, but the pressing, waves of attacks creating many reasonable chances along with the vast acres of space to counter into.

In european terms, perhaps Lyon were the closest of our opponents in terms of style and approach.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I’m in two minds with our left hand side, as the pace Fiorentina have down their right hand side concerns me. So as harsh as it sounds as he hasn’t really let us down in Europe so far this season, I am getting tempted to say Emerson should start at left back, instead of Cresswell, as he has more speed.

The only problem there is that means Fornals may have to play in front of him, as Emerson could be caught out being too high up the pitch, like he has before, and I’m not sure having Benny in front of him will work against a team of Fiorentina’s qualities.

Equally with the space they could leave, a Benrahma on a good day would be perfect to run down that side. So I don’t really want to drop him unless we can find the right balance.

It’s a really tough one.

Moyes will probably stick with the exact same team as we played at Alkmaar though. Understandable I guess, as it worked a treat in that game and he’ll probably look to repeat those tactics.
SJack
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by SJack »

Well, now the dust has settled after that and I've had time to process the highlights again and read interviews etc., I'm still feeling pretty much the same about our final. I don't think last night's match really changes anything in terms of determination or psychology. We have to win to get the double-whammy of a long-awaited trophy AND European football for next season.

Yes, the way we play might well fall into your hands, but the margins are tight (as our results testify this season) and it could easily have gone the other way. What if Milenkovic had been 2m further out in line with the rest of the back line? What if Jovic angled his head by 5 more degrees or dinked Handanovic? What if the late onslaught had caused a better break of the ball in the box? Football is all about the details sometimes. We play a dangerous game, sure, but have beaten better teams this season by doing so. It's a bit Bielsa/De Zerbi like and exciting to see swash-buckling play. But it's also nerve-wracking when you realise your last defender has switched off and is about 40 yards away from your own box.

I found this lad's vlog online just now, which gives a better perspective of the atmosphere inside the stadium which you don't get on TV. Our fans were amazing before, during and after and clearly impressed them - describing us as "mental" and "the best in Italy" which they weren't expecting! It made me realise how incredibly proud it can be to be a La Viola fan, even in defeat.

Coppa Italia final Fiorentina v Inter

I hope Prague has an atmosphere close to this and whatever happens, there's always next season to look forward to!
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:01 am If Fiorentina play as they did last night, our front boys will get the kind of space they are rarely offered in the PL.

They reminded me of Bielsa's Leeds. Not as high intensity and a bit more physically adept with Milenkovic and Amrabat in particular, but the pressing, waves of attacks creating many reasonable chances along with the vast acres of space to counter into.

In european terms, perhaps Lyon were the closest of our opponents in terms of style and approach.
We had some dominant performances against Bielsa’s Leeds, last years home games aside.

I always thought they played into our hands. Declan used to win the ball back in midfield and they’d commit so many men forward, we’d be in behind or attacking 4 v 3 every single time.

Hopefully that’s how the Fiorentina game plays out.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Like most finals, the time element seems to ebb away quickly - we have been notoriously slow starters against teams that come at us - there is a danger that in trying to sit back hoping for counter attacking opportunities whilst defending wave after wave of attacks against a very good team at that - we could concede and give ourselves an energy sapping mountain to climb.
I don’t agree with waiting for them to dictate with their game plan. There are elements to our plan that they will look to counter too…and identifying our weaknesses in behind.
Other factors to consider- it’s likely to be a warm night and then there is the unpredictability of the referee. Inviting attacks in and around our box is asking for trouble …we know only too well what a mistimed tackle can bring with Refs in Europe.
So let’s go on the front foot- do what we did to Man U and take the game to them; stifle their plan; turn their defenders, employ our frontline press and get in their faces to put them under pressure. We have the better midfield going forward when we utilise space with their defence dropping deep.
Get the first goal and it was noticeable against Inter how they lost their composure. Our PL brand of football would be overwhelming to them, especially when our tails are up going for the throat.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Agree that we need to be on the front foot and press. Win the ball back in midfield, not on the edge of our box, and then attack with speed and numbers!
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

SJack wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am Yes, the way we play might well fall into your hands
Have to say I feel pretty encouraged having watched the game last night mate. I couldn't believe how open you were at times. Surely starting Castrovili and Bonaventura alongside the two attacking mids is just too many non-defensive bods on the pitch?

Was speaking to Aztec and we both independently came to the conclusion that this could be a real cultural switch in terms of tactical approach. Usually its the English side playing on the front foot and into the Italians hands.

I suspect it'll be a good game anyway. If your approach last night is typical it lends itself to a very open game. Good fun for neutrals at least.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

After a poor season overall, we have saved our peak form for now.

We are scoring again and have a spring in our step.

We will take some stopping in this final.

It’s going to be a lovely summer

:hamm:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

West Ham coach David Moyes attended the Coppa Italia final between Fiorentina and Inter, keeping a close eye on the team he will face in the Conference League final.
@footballitalia

https://twitter.com/westham_central/sta ... rB8L-lMeA
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

SJack wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am We have to win to get the double-whammy of a long-awaited trophy AND European football for next season.
That makes two of us Stuart, 43 years without a trophy for us.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

I'm expecting Italian levels of shithousery.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Apart from Fiorentina getting off to a fast start by Gonzalez who is a decent Forward, I saw little to fear Fiorentina on that display. We are more than capable of beating them. Their defence may improve further with Igor reinstated at the back but the way they get forward a fair amount, they do leave plenty of space in behind to exploit.
Gazmundo
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 425 likes

Post by Gazmundo »

SJack wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am
I hope Prague has an atmosphere close to this and whatever happens, there's always next season to look forward to!
Hi Stuart,

What would you expect Fiorentina to do if they take a 1-0 lead in the final? Will they try and protect that lead or will they continue to play the same way and push for another goal?

Also, which British team do you support or have a soft spot for?
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by DenziMart »

Colours never run wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:08 am Apart from Fiorentina getting off to a fast start by Gonzalez who is a decent Forward, I saw little to fear Fiorentina on that display. We are more than capable of beating them. Their defence may improve further with Igor reinstated at the back but the way they get forward a fair amount, they do leave plenty of space in behind to exploit.
We're more than capable of beating anyone. Unfortunately, this season I think we have lost many games, not due to the ability of the opposition, but because we simply haven't shown up or because lapses in concentration have resulted in stupid goals conceded. I think we tend to beat ourselves rather than the opposition beat us in some games. So while we are more than capable of beating Fiorentina, we are just as capable of shooting ourselves in the foot. Let's hope we show up and give a real good go of it.
SJack

Post by SJack »

DenziMart wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:38 pm We're more than capable of beating anyone. Unfortunately, this season I think we have lost many games, not due to the ability of the opposition, but because we simply haven't shown up or because lapses in concentration have resulted in stupid goals conceded. I think we tend to beat ourselves rather than the opposition beat us in some games. So while we are more than capable of beating Fiorentina, we are just as capable of shooting ourselves in the foot. Let's hope we show up and give a real good go of it.
Ditto. That's why I think the match will be really interesting and probably a close call either way. Fiorentina have a habit of being on the front foot, dominating possession in spells and creating a lot of promising situations but then the final ball and/or poor finishing lets us down. Over the whole season, we've never been pegged back or outplayed. In fact, we dominated each of Napoli, Juve, Milan and Inter this season, yet still contrived to lose by a goal due to stupid mistakes or not concentrating.

I haven't seen much of West Ham this season, especially the Conference as our games were often on at the same time, but it did strike me that there are weaknesses to exploit too and a lot of the goals against Gent and AZ seemed to be from defensive mistakes. Bowen and Paqueta are a danger it seems. That was some goal by your boy Rice against AZ but imagine Amrabat will ear-mark him for close attention! Equally, when Rice or someone else (can't remember name) lost possession in midfield, you too left a lot of space.

Maybe it will end up being an epic goal-fest thriller for the neutral?!!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Here's an interesting one, whatever the result of the game, itself. Since there is not a match thread for this yet. Both Finalists will, of course, receive and receive 40 medals each. It is entirely down to the clubs, whom they distribute the medals to. Obviously the players and subs on the day will receive one each, but any player who has represented the club in earlier rounds, irrespective if he is no longee at the club, is also entitled to receive a medal. This would include Craig Dawson. Whether we decide to include him, or not, is a different matter entirely, but we can. Other medal recipients, would include Divin Mubama and Ollie Scarles, but unless Fab plays in the final itself, would lose out entirely
SJack

Post by SJack »

Gazmundo wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:37 pm Hi Stuart,

What would you expect Fiorentina to do if they take a 1-0 lead in the final? Will they try and protect that lead or will they continue to play the same way and push for another goal?

Also, which British team do you support or have a soft spot for?
I think it depends more on the timing if that happened. If it's early or even in 1st half, it's not in our style to sit on it as we're not a defensive team. Although fans have been frustrated with Italiano for not being more pragmatic or dropping deeper when this has happened before. Even last night, it could have done with adjusting before Inter came at us. If it's late on, we have been a bit better at game management and seeing it out or using a counter-attacking threat. Reckon in-game tactics might be crucial in a final with the added pressure and possibility of using 5 subs strategically too if it goes to extra time.

As for British teams, I suppose it'd be Motherwell due to a family connection and I got taken to the famous 1991 cup run including semi and final when they beat Dundee Utd 4-3. I've always supported Scotland internationally but my family moved around the UK a lot due to work, so I never settled anywhere to really have a connection or affinity with a particular domestic team. I just loved football and like a lot of others have said on here, it was Gazzetta/Channel 4 games in the 90's that hooked me - always Fiorentina since then. But the difference for me was how it grew further.....met an Italian family about 1994 - went on holiday to see them and got taken to a game, then started following them weekly (from Ceefax days to social media). It grew to the point where I learnt a bit of the language, more holidays + games in Florence, made fan-friends, met players including Sebastien Frey & legend Giancarlo Antognoni, collected shirts/merch, briefly lived and worked in Florence and have attended their pre-season training camp where I got interviewed for a Tuscan TV and radio station! It's a proper love affair!
Julien Snow Bear
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Julien Snow Bear »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:28 pm Here's an interesting one, whatever the result of the game, itself. Since there is not a match thread for this yet. Both Finalists will, of course, receive and receive 40 medals each. It is entirely down to the clubs, whom they distribute the medals to. Obviously the players and subs on the day will receive one each, but any player who has represented the club in earlier rounds, irrespective if he is no longee at the club, is also entitled to receive a medal. This would include Craig Dawson. Whether we decide to include him, or not, is a different matter entirely, but we can. Other medal recipients, would include Divin Mubama and Ollie Scarles, but unless Fab plays in the final itself, would lose out entirely
Hang on - you say it's completely down to the club as to who would receive a medal.

And you say that obviously the players and subs on the day will receive one each.

Then say that Fab would miss out unless he plays in the final.

So which is it? :chin: