ACF Fiorentina

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

ACF Fiorentina

Post by funky chicken »

I just want to it clear this is not a match thread for the Europa Conference Final. This is simply a thread to discuss our opponents for the big day.

You can discuss how they are getting on in their respective games, in the build up to June 7th. Plus, any other facts about the club this season, such as their personal league/European campaign, how they tend to set their team up, potential strengths and weaknesses, key players to look out for, etc.

I see they picked up a 1-1 draw away at Nikola Vlasic’s Torino last night. They are just below Torino in the table, in 11th place, and share the same number of points.

Next up they’ve got another final to look forward to, in the shape of the Coppa Italia, on Wednesday. They’ll be facing Champions League finalists Inter Milan.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Re: ACF Fiorentina

Post by El brooko79 »

I see they have a league game 3 days before our final.
Guess they will rest key players but still a distraction some what.
CharlieO
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by CharlieO »

The bookies seem to be suggesting no clear favourite so could be a decent contest.
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

Mainly only know that they used to have Batistuta and some great shirts (Nintendo & 7up sponsors come to mind).

Oh they've got that Cabral too who we were looking at at one point (they nicked him off Basel, so that defeat must have been extra raw for them). Looks like he hasn't exactly lit the league up but has a good scoring rate in the euro games.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

You can get a replica of that glorious Batistuta Nintendo Fila shirt for about 30 quid on Ebay. I so wanted one to wear during kickabouts, but now it would seem very wrong.
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

From my AC Milan supporting colleague, they play very well this season. Barak and Kouamè are key players but their trainer is good and they run a lot. I think we will hand them a lot of possession.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Well at least they don't still have Battigol up front.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Our old pal Tomas Repka was harvested from them when they were in financial dire straits. From recall his defensive partner Pierini was also tipped to join us in a combined £10 Million deal, but that never happened. The following summer were seemed to be regularly linked to Nuno Gomes, who, a decade later played for Blackburn in the Championship.

They are a phoenix club from the original Fiorentina, although, like Rangers, everything including their history travels with them. However, from a legal standpoint, they are only 20 years old, the Fiorentina name was bought back in 2003. They were promoted two divisions after winning the 4th tier in 2003, and back to Serie A in 2004 after a playoff. However, they found themselves in trouble again as part of the Calciopoli scandal, and were relegated and removed from the Champions League in 2006. On appeal, they avoided relegation. After that they made various appearances in European competitions. Their finances remain a constant source of interest, and selling players at a profit has been key to them sustaining their FFP needs and requirements.

Basically, they are a rather strange club.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

These are no mugs and a different level to who we have played in this competition so far.
They have beaten AC Inter and strapped Sampadoria 5-0 this season also they are also still to play in the Copa Italia final against Inter..
This final will not be a turn up and win for us they are a very good team.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Pob! wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:20 pm These are no mugs and a different level to who we have played in this competition so far.
They have beaten AC Inter and strapped Sampadoria 5-0 this season also they are also still to play in the Copa Italia final against Inter..
This final will not be a turn up and win for us they are a very good team.
Sampdoria are bottom of the league. Our 4-0 win away at Bournemouth is a far bigger win.

Edit: Took a closer look at their league form - average position of the teams they've beaten is 15th. Apart from a really good domestic cup run they've really been no better or worse than us this season. Should be a fun one.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I know it’s not about the final but I was just curious about how well supported they are. Average attendance of 32k this season apparently. Why on earth are Uefa putting these Conference finals in such small stadiums, that’s 4 teams in 2 years that would easily have sold out a 50k+ stadium

Only just noticed they’re in the Coppa Italia final Wednesday too, good cup team it seems
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

They famously had to redesign an away kit one year after it was released, somehow everyone at the club had failed to spot a giant black swastika in the pattern on the chest.

The club and fans are known to be well mannered and more to the left than right so they had a lot of complaints.
Fiorentina is a laid back city full of people who’d usually rather make a cutting remark than engage in violence. The team has traditionally leaned to the middle-left of the political spectrum, where you don’t encounter a lot of hooliganism.
That said, we all have our idiots and there were some pretty bad scenes in Netherlands at the start of the season when they played Twente and around 20 (ironically) Fiorentina fans were in involved in a bit of trouble with a large group of locals pre game. The Italians seemed to be the aggressors as they were hoodied up and had sticks (shock). It did seem to be small scale isolated stuff from a very small group though.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

D C wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:31 pm I know it’s not about the final but I was just curious about how well supported they are. Average attendance of 32k this season apparently. Why on earth are Uefa putting these Conference finals in such small stadiums, that’s 4 teams in 2 years that would easily have sold out a 50k+ stadium
The stadiums that the Europa League Final are usually held in are 45k+ with some exceptions. The idea that a 20k stadium is sufficient for a European Final is ludicrous.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Lazio are 18 points clear of Fiorentina in the league. AZ beat Lazio and we beat AZ.

I know football isn’t that simple but we should be full of confidence going into the game!
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Edmundo was another striker who played for them who I remember.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I believe they’ll be in the Europa League next season anyway, should they win the Coppa Italia. If I am not mistaken? Easier said than done mind, seeing as they’ll be facing the team 4th in the league and just 3 points from 2nd.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Nice thread :thup:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

If we are not at our very best....or pretty close to it. I'm not sure it will go well.

We need to be playing at the top....or towards the top of our levels to win this.

We are favs with the 25 major bookmakers that make up the odds on oddschecker. But not by too much.

And slight odds on to win the competition overall....including extra time..and penalties. But they have had very good results spread around at times to big clubs/teams this season. Obviously very, very capable.

Hopeful obviously, because I suspect our ceiling of performance is probably higher.... but not overly confident.... :fxd:
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

How many players would get into our teams Milenkovic? Amrabt? Anyone else?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It's good to have strong opposition in a final.

If we win it legitimises our success, if we lose, at least it was to a good team.

In 2006 -our last major final - we took the game to Liverpool, played breathtaking football, in the right way, and came within an ace of glory.

Let's just go a bit further this time, but show the world we can play.