⚽ Leicester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (28/5/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:10 pm Totally agree with this lineup. Antonio can't be risked. He might not be our best player, but he's the one whose absence would make the biggest difference to how we're able to play against Fiorentina.
Antonio can't have not played for three weeks.

He needs to start and come off at half time regardless of the result.
Bubbles Fortuna

Re: ⚽ Leicester City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Areola
Kehrer Zouma Aguerd Cresswell
Rice Soucek
Bowen Paqueta Benrahma
Antonio.

Fornals, Ings and Coufal on at half time, Ings to give Antonio a rest, the other two to give them a chance to play their way into the starting line up for the final.
Liam
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Liam »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:23 pm I'm surprised so many of you want Everton down. I don't mind them at all as a team.
I’m happy for Everton to stay up this year, then have points deduction next year….
Bubbles the monkey
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Bubbles the monkey »

Scamacca done for the season with that injury?
IronRhino
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by IronRhino »

I feel sorry for any club that gets relegated, devastating for them and their fans, but I wouldn’t change the system, it’s equally great for the teams and fans of those coming up.

From a selfish point of view as a hammer who has moved North the more Northern teams in the premier league the more opportunity there is for me to get to a match. Purely on that basis I hope we beat Leicester, not least because winning becomes a habit as we gather momentum before the BIG match.

Strongest possible team please
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Strongest possible team please. For 2 reasons, 1. Respect the league and 2. We can’t go nearly 3 weeks without our first team having a game.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Many on here saying lets go full strength.How are they going to feel if any of our best players get injured in what is in all fairness a meaningless game for us and miss the final.
The clever thing for moyes to do is announce we have a few "minor " injuries and a few are struggling etc at his press conference Friday.

Then come Sunday when the team sheet goes out and some of our best players are not in the squad no one will be shocked and you cover yourself with the premier league.

We have to look after ourselves in a situation of this magnitude where we are hoping to win a European trophy for the 1st time in 43 years !!
For those who may disagree with me how will you feel come Sunday evening and the likes of Rice,Paqueta,Bowen,Antonio are injured
I remember back in 2006/7 going Liverpool played a team of virtually reserves against Fulham on the penultimate game of the season which Fulham won 1-0 and saved them from going down.For the record Liverpool had a champions league final a few weeks later.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 589 likes

Post by Coops »

w6hammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:00 pm Many on here saying lets go full strength.How are they going to feel if any of our best players get injured in what is in all fairness a meaningless game for us and miss the final.
The problem with that is the length of time between the last game some of those players would have played (last Sunday/last Thursday) to the final.
As it is it will be 10 days between games. It's no good wrapping them in cotton wool if they are going to lose that match sharpness as a result.
I reckon go full strength and build on what we have seen over the last couple of matches.
Bubbles Fortuna

Our cup final team needs to be match fit, so they need to play.

It's ten days between the Leicester game and the final, and the Leeds game was a week before that, we can't have players having gone 17 days without a game.
simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:05 pm A return to our counter attacking Ethos Simon? Where you been for the last 2 years :D
Watching us successfully counter attack, and finishing 6th and 7th.

Like to see a bit of that against Leicester...and against Fiorentina too please!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

w6hammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:00 pm Many on here saying lets go full strength.How are they going to feel if any of our best players get injured in what is in all fairness a meaningless game for us and miss the final.
They could just as easily get injured in training. We need to keep them in peak form and that is by playing matches. Antonio especially.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Albie Beck wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:26 pm They could just as easily get injured in training. We need to keep them in peak form and that is by playing matches. Antonio especially.
True.But there is a greater chance of a player getting injured during a game against a team desperate to avoid relegation than on a training pitch.The players are fit they just need to tick over.
It's only a week ago the manager was saying the players were fatigued. Keep them fresh for the final I say.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I’d go:

Fabianski

Coufal
Kehrer
Aguerd
Cresswell

Rice
Soucek

Bowen
Paqueta
Fornals

Antonio

I’d then be taking Antonio, Bowen, Rice, Paqueta and Aguerd off by the 60th minute if not before.

Ings, Cornet, Downes, Lanzini and Ogbonna to come on.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I reckon Dean Smith will follow his newcastle system for an hour or so, knowing we like to sit back and counter. Will it work? Who knows, They'll be gutted if Leeds win and Everton lose and they only get a point
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1076 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Have we ever lost to a Dean Smith team? I know we've had some great results against Villa while he was in charge and was he in charge when we did Norwich 4-0?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The opportunity to rest most of them has now gone for me. We can't go so long without playing close to our strongest against Leicester, so it's pretty much same again.

Zouma had to go off at half time after picking up a knock. Soucek, Rice and Paqueta all had full games off the back of the Semi Final ties, as well as Bowen playing almost an entire game himself. Coufal didn't need to play a full game either after just coming back from a hamstring injury. Ideally I wanted to see more of the squad used to rest weary bodies after their recent excursions in both Semi's.
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 287 likes
Total likes: 391 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

Getting injured is a risk, but a much bigger risk is that the whole team turns up to the final undercooked and lacking match sharpness. It happens quite often in football. The team that has had the longest amount of rest just doesn't seem to turn up to the all-important game. For example, if Antonio doesn't play against Leicester, then he will have had a three week break between Alkmaar and Fiorentina. If none of our first team play against Leicester, they'll have had a two week break. At some point, if they last long enough, breaks start to become counterproductive.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Billydinho wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 am I’d go
So you’re not giving Benrahma any minutes ahead of a final he may start?

Agree with most of your team but Benrahma and Fornals get a half each for me.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

Players need to play. Momentum needs to be kept. Under cookery is a huge problem in these circumstances. With 10 days after this game. You just basically pick your best team ....injuries are a risk naturally. But resting up is also a switch off for the players....and that is a risk too. Routine lost and changed....and good form lost when we have just rediscovered it. Moyes won't be far off his first team in this game imo.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Areola
Coufal kehrer augerd Emerson
Rice paqueta soucek
Bowen Antonio benrahma

3 on fir front 3 , Cornet ings fornals
Downes on for soucek
Johnson for coufal