The search for Madeline McCann

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Re: The search for Madeline McCann

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:51 pm That might be the case, but you do not commit a murder and then keep the case alive. I listened to a science program recently about crime scenes, and the biggest point raised is the difficulty in disposing of a body.

So even if under the scrutiny of the police and media (they highlighted the disappearance immediately) they somehow hid the body, the chances of hiding that body in such a secure way are nigh on impossible.

And having got away with that, to then keep the case alive, more programmes, more forensic searches, you just wouldn't do it.

After a few years you'd say she's gone, it breaks your heart but you have to move on. Not keep increasing the chances of the burial spot being found.

I don’t believe they murdered Madeleine

Again the documentary will explain this and the possibilities
An accidental death and at least 1-2 days before reported . Basically a huge cover up

It’ll explain so much you have to watch it as most of the information has been suppressed by the British media
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I've seen the entire Netflix doc. There is no mention of death days before.

I get that people dont like the couple, but the reality is their child was taken and murdered by a stranger after they did a stupid thing and assumed being on holiday meant thy could switch off all sensible logic.
Larrakeyah Hammer

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:35 pm I've seen the entire Netflix doc. There is no mention of death days before.

I get that people dont like the couple, but the reality is their child was taken and murdered by a stranger after they did a stupid thing and assumed being on holiday meant thy could switch off all sensible logic.

Sorry mate but the Netflix documentary is absolute rubbish

I’m repeating myself but if you watch the documentary by Richard D Hall the research and information is so in depth and your left with a completely different perspective

You won’t just believe the narrative you’ve been fed
Bend it like Repka

Larrakeyah Hammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:13 pm You won’t just believe the narrative you’ve been fed
Sorry, when I start reading lines like this, and talk of press cover up, I just go all Covid denier cover up conspiracy alert.

There are multiple very convincing films on Kennedy's assasination. Each one has a different theory but built a very strong case. It is possible to interpret facts in many different ways.

The parents did not kill their child.
Larrakeyah Hammer

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:06 am Sorry, when I start reading lines like this, and talk of press cover up, I just go all Covid denier cover up conspiracy alert.

There are multiple very convincing films on Kennedy's assasination. Each one has a different theory but built a very strong case. It is possible to interpret facts in many different ways.

Mate your not understanding what I’m saying

I’m not into conspiracy theories and the 4 hours of documentary and information on the case isn’t conspiracy theory

It just talks about the police, statements the investigation & facts of the case which believe it it not a lot is not widely known

Certain aspects are fed to the public 95% of the narrative you get

There is far to much information for me to write & try to explain that’s covered in 4 hours
Larrakeyah Hammer

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:06 am Sorry, when I start reading lines like this, and talk of press cover up, I just go all Covid denier cover up conspiracy alert.

Apologies if I came across arsy
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1642 likes

Post by last.caress »

Agree on all three paragraphs there, with no disrespect meant to you, Larrakeyah Hammer. I'm not even saying I'm right; maybe I'm wrong and Bendy's wrong and they really did off their own kid. But I don't believe I'm wrong. And, like Bendy, when an alternative explanation for something (anything, not just this story) starts to sound to me even vaguely like a crackpot internet theory, that's what I start to think that it is. You know the saying: If it looks like a lemon, smells a lemon, tastes like a lemon... it's probably a lemon. And a four-hour documentary is a massive ask for all but the most dedicated to this particular story, in which I'm not personally invested enough. Sorry.

The McCanns were quite astonishingly stupid and negligent but, for me, that's the extent of their culpability (and I'll certainly grant you that it's a pretty ****ing large portion of the all-round responsibility for what happened, whatever actually happened). If it transpires they killed their own daughter, I'll be first in the queue to see them swing for it, and I'll be glad to tell the world that I was way off-base.
Larrakeyah Hammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:50 pm Apologies if I came across arsy
You didn't. :newthumb: And don't worry about upsetting Bendy. Upsetting Bendy is one of life's great pleasures. :)
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I think what sticks in my craw most is the suspicion that if they had been Bob and Sarah Smith from the council estate, the press would have gone full steam on them and Bob and Sarah's daughter would have been a long-forgotten footnote in history.

I imagine that the resources used on this one case over the years by police forces in about six countries could have been used to investigate 100 missing kids, not just one tragic little tot.
Bend it like Repka

last.caress wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:04 pm You didn't. :newthumb: And don't worry about upsetting Bendy. Upsetting Bendy is one of life's great pleasures. :)
:thup: That did make me laugh.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

last.caress wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:04 pm The McCanns were quite astonishingly stupid and negligent but, for me, that's the extent of their culpability (and I'll certainly grant you that it's a pretty ****ing large portion of the all-round responsibility for what happened, whatever actually happened).
Why were they never charged with child neglect?
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

jastons wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:54 am Why were they never charged with child neglect?
Seems that there was a mistaken belief on the part of the Portuguese police that it was considered quite normal among English people to leave their kids and go off for a meal, which was then compounded by a decision to be sensitive and respectful of that mistaken English peculiarity rather than charge them with abandonment, which the cops apparently would've done had the McCanns been Portuguese:

https://closeronline.co.uk/real-life/ne ... niversary/
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've never understood why Portuguese plod never seeled off the crime scene, allowing the maids and cleaners to enter the apartment, which might've destroyed any clues and further contaminated the scene. I believe the chambermaids even removed the bed linen and put fresh on. I know that's their job, but in this situation, it was a bit daft
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

EvilC wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:00 pm I may have to apologise to ToMoS for telling him that I wasn’t going to watch his 70 minute Professor’s talk on Ukraine. Four hours?

Break it up into 10 minute episodes , you'll get through it eventually . :grin:

You've got 2 hours until the game starts , what else you gonna do ? :grin:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

last.caress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:22 am Seems that there was a mistaken belief on the part of the Portuguese police that it was considered quite normal among English people to leave their kids and go off for a meal.
Mistaken belief? I'm not so sure.
In the old Butlins holidays camps parents always left their kids unattended whilst Butlins staff (no doubt unvetted) patrolled the camps and reported back to the main theatre via a sign that said 'child crying in chalet 547'.
It all seemed quite normal at the time.
Is there a lot of difference in what the Mccans did?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

mushy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:18 pm Mistaken belief? I'm not so sure.
In the old Butlins holidays camps parents always left their kids unattended whilst Butlins staff (no doubt unvetted) patrolled the camps and reported back to the main theatre via a sign that said 'child crying in chalet 547'.
we had that growing up (bear in mind im 36) at haven on the IOW.. it was only for the first couple years.. you had something on the door the indicate kids were inside and the security patrolled .. they had this speaker system in the rooms where you could press the button to contact someone and they would page your parents type thing

mum reminds me that I turned up in the ball room in my dressing gown at a young age saying I was hungry .. somethings dont change

so as you said back in day was prob the done thing

I would never do it with my kids now

for example we went away for the weekend with the inlaws 2 caravans next to each other.. wouldnt have even left them and gone next door personally
Bend it like Repka

I said this at the time. There is no way I'd go out an leave my kids like that, but the notion that the McCanns were some crazy outliers who did something no one else would do was ridiculous.

People go on holiday and do not obey the rules they would follow at home for many many things. Just a fact of human behavior for some.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Larrakeyah Hammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:14 pm

Anyone interested should watch this
It’s 4 hours long and very comprehensive research

All I’ll say is something odd happened and the parents are very much in the frame
Richard D Hall is a conspiracy theorist who claimed that the Manchester Arena bombing was f aked, that the survivors were lying about their injuries, stalked and spied on the survivors, and is being sued for defamation and harassment. You should have nothing to do with him or the stuff he produces. You certainly shouldn’t send him money.
Larrakeyah Hammer

York Ham(mer) wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:52 am Richard D Hall is a conspiracy theorist who claimed that the Manchester Arena bombing was f aked, that the survivors were lying about their injuries, stalked and spied on the survivors, and is being sued for defamation and harassment. You should have nothing to do with him or the stuff he produces. You certainly shouldn’t send him money.

Clearly disappeared up his own arse

No I’d never give money to anything like that

The McCann documentary is balanced it’s a few years old now

👍
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

No doubt leaving your kid at the mercy of unqualified Butlins staff while the grown ups all did the jitterbug at the Ally Pally for thruppence ha'penny before fetching the trolley to Shitsbury Park was a thing back in the fifties, but was seasonal child abandonment still a grand old British tradition in 2007?
Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:24 pm There is no way I'd go out an leave my kids like that, but...
No, no. No "buts". As you've just said: There's no way you'd go out and leave your kids like that. And quite right too. Neither would I. Neither would more-or-less anyone in 2007. So it probably wasn't an act which required the Portuguese police to consider it to be something us Brits just did, as par for the course.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Macca1973 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:48 pm I don’t believe her parents killed her or anything else so sinister. However, I remember when my son was a toddler, I never let him out of my sight when out in public and always held his hand, I could never imagine ‘gambling’ with my child’s safety the way they did.
This point is spot on. I’d never let my kids out of my sight when they were young.

Now I love tapas as much as anyone, but I wouldn’t swap one my kids for a nice portion of patatas bravas and a glass of crisp white wine.

But the McCann’s made that terrible decision and they’ve got to live with consequences of that for the rest of their lives. I pity them. They are haunted by that decision every day.