Borussia Dortmund (West Ham-ish)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Borussia Dortmund (West Ham-ish)

Post by Kermit »

Having worked in Germany many years ago I've always had an interest in the Bundesliga results and have enjoyed this season because, for the first time in 10 years, it looks as if F C Hollywood (that's what the natives call Bayern Munich) might miss out on the trophies this season.

If Borussia Dortmund, and this is where the West Ham connection comes in, beat Mainz, at their home stadium, on Saturday they will be champions. Imo that would be a fitting way for Sebastien Haller to end the season, after the medical issues he's suffered from this season,and what an achievement for our former coach Edin Terzic in his first season as head coach. The first time he has been the "top dog" at any club.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1070 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Re: Borussia Dortmund (West Ham-ish)

Post by SiamHammer »

Mainz are no pushover though, think they beat "FC Hollywood" 3-1 the other week
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

https://www.transfermarkt.com/sebastien ... ler/181375

Just look at this page.

Season starts off with Haller being out due to cancer.
Ends season with scoring game, after game. Twice in the last two games.

:wolfy:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

That is some comeback story for Haller, go on son!

:crest:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I see that Schalke 04 are about to get relegated.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3052 likes
Total likes: 2693 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

sendô wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:20 am I see that Schalke 04 are about to get relegated.
They're still in with a chance. Had a decent second half of the season under Thomas Reis, who got sacked by fellow relegation strugglers Bochum (my club in Germany) earlier this season.

Schalke will play at Leipzig, who have nothing to play for and might rest some players ahead of their Cup Final next week, whereas Bochum have to play at home vs Leverkusen, who might need a win for European qualification. Stuttgart, who are on points with Bochum at 15th play vs Hoffenheim.

Only two go down directly. Third from bottom plays the stupid Relegation/Promotion Play-Off vs. the third-placed Bundesliga 2 team. Which could/should be the mighty HSV from Hamburg.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

What has happend to Herta, DH?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

szola wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:33 am What has happend to Herta, DH?
Since this thread is definitely West Ham related. I've always regarded Hertha Berlin as the West Ham of the Bundesliga
DusseldorfHammer

szola wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:33 am What has happend to Herta, DH?
Let an investor "ponzi schemer" Lars Windhorst, buy half of the club in 2019. Since then 9 different managers, several different sporting directors, weird big money signings, Jovetic, Guendouzi, Cunha, Piatek, HUGE wages at some point, were targeting CL football, but never made it anywhere near the Top 4. Lost all their identity, several changes at board level forced by the investor, who then got pushed out of the club and sold his shares to the American loan sharks 777, who might also keep Everton afloat. Hertha now are pretty much skint and might not get their license to compete in Bundesliga 2 next season.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

SiamHammer wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:08 am Mainz are no pushover though, think they beat "FC Hollywood" 3-1 the other week
They did indeed. However it is the last game they won. Since then they have played 4 and lost all of them, including being beaten at home 1-4 by relegation strugglers Stuttgart last weekend. Should be some atmosphere at the game this weekend. Particularly if they pull it off.

Games on Sky so I'll be sitting in front of the TV Saturday afternoon.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

sendô wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:20 am I see that Schalke 04 are about to get relegated.
For the second time in 3 seasons. Not too long ago they were fairly regularly seen in the group stages of the Champions League. When I was working out in Germany I was once told they were the best supported team in the country.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

S-H wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:18 am That is some comeback story for Haller, go on son!

:crest:
And still he doesn't smile - even after netting twice :rofl:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:40 am And still he doesn't smile - even after netting twice :rofl:
Love it.
DusseldorfHammer

Kermit wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:39 am For the second time in 3 seasons. Not too long ago they were fairly regularly seen in the group stages of the Champions League. When I was working out in Germany I was once told they were the best supported team in the country.
Worked nearly two years for them in their PR department. They're such a massive club. In Germany and also Holland and Belgium. 100.000 people at their season opening weekend. A real cult following. Real shame what happened to them when they tied themselves up with Russian money and the partnership with Gazprom. They're still sufferinh financially from it. Huge in debt, but their huge following will get them through that drought.

One of the best Acdamies in Europe as well. Neuer, Thilo, Matip, Draxler, Sané, Thiaw, etc. all came through the youth setup from the club from the city of Gelsenkirchen.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:06 am Worked nearly two years for them in their PR department. They're such a massive club. In Germany and also Holland and Belgium. 100.000 people at their season opening weekend. A real cult following. Real shame what happened to them when they tied themselves up with Russian money and the partnership with Gazprom. They're still sufferinh financially from it. Huge in debt, but their huge following will get them through that drought.

One of the best Acdamies in Europe as well. Neuer, Thilo, Matip, Draxler, Sané, Thiaw, etc. all came through the youth setup from the club from the city of Gelsenkirchen.
As you are from Dusseldorf you might find this piece of totally useless information interesting. I was working in Dusseldorf in the 80s and one Saturday Bayern Munich were playing at the Rheinstadion and I was persuaded to go and see what we all expected to be an easy win for Bayern. Fortuna were a very poor side then. However, miracles do happen and, unbelievably, Fortuna won by 4-0. The useless bit of information is that making his debut in goal for Fortuna (at least I think it was his debut) was Jorg Schmadtke who has just been appointed as Sporting Director of Liverpool.

Impressed ? No, I thought not.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Union Berlin have a better story than Hertha.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2896 likes
Total likes: 619 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 am Since this thread is definitely West Ham related. I've always regarded Hertha Berlin as the West Ham of the Bundesliga
Never in a million years. Germany’s biggest city with very little local rivals until the rise of Union Berlin.
Hertha’s support isn’t great, big games sell out but down the years it wasn’t unusual to see crowds of 20,000 rattling around inside the Olympic Stadium.
They aren’t what the Germans call a traditional team, unlike Gladbach or Nuremberg.
Their home ground isn’t great so there is a similarity with us on that score but it’s a lot better than it used to be before it was renovated for the World Cup.
DusseldorfHammer

In terms of club size and pedigree, I would compare us to Borussia Mönchengladbach.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Kermit wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:39 am For the second time in 3 seasons. Not too long ago they were fairly regularly seen in the group stages of the Champions League. When I was working out in Germany I was once told they were the best supported team in the country.
Whoever told you that may well have been a Schalke fan.
Bayern are far and away the best supported team in Germany, Dortmund second and die Koenigsblau, Schalke most probably third.

When I started selling football merchandise over 30 years ago Schalke Fan Club Verband were my first ever customer. Very professionally run and has over 150,000 members now. They got me tickets for the England v Portugal WC quarter final game at the Auf Schalke Arena as it was called then, even though the people running the organisation and the preside Rolf Rojek knew I was a Dortmund fan. I did an a lot of business with them over the years, more than any other team.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Kermit wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:49 am As you are from Dusseldorf you might find this piece of totally useless information interesting. I was working in Dusseldorf in the 80s and one Saturday Bayern Munich were playing at the Rheinstadion and I was persuaded to go and see what we all expected to be an easy win for Bayern. Fortuna were a very poor side then. However, miracles do happen and, unbelievably, Fortuna won by 4-0. The useless bit of information is that making his debut in goal for Fortuna (at least I think it was his debut) was Jorg Schmadtke who has just been appointed as Sporting Director of Liverpool.

Impressed ? No, I thought not.
I was in Düsseldorf when 1FC Kaiserslautern played their last game of the season and would be champions, their fans were everywhere, they came up the Rhine on barges and stayed on them for the weekend, cracking night out in tye Altstadt in Düsseldorf and spannferkel mit bratkartoffel und krauter salat would be my choice as my final meal.