Borussia Dortmund (West Ham-ish)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Borussia Dortmund (West Ham-ish)

Post by Daniel1895 »

Dortmund are amongst the worst clubs in Germany sympathy-wise with Watzke being one of the most bellend-ish chairman in the country.
I dearly hope they will bottle it.
Plus their so called "legendary atmosphere" being way overrated.
Just available for the really important matches.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2888 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Daniel1895 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:57 am Dortmund are amongst the worst clubs in Germany sympathy-wise with Watzke being one of the most bellend-ish chairman in the country.
I dearly hope they will bottle it.
Plus their so called "legendary atmosphere" being way overrated.
Just available for the really important matches.
I have to disagree but I’m biased obviously. Compared to the management at Bayern, Watzke is fine, he hasn’t served time for tax evasion like the puppet master at Bayern.
I lived 3 stops on the tram from the Westfalen Stadion as it was then in the early to mid 80’s at a time when Dortmund weren’t the power that they are now, the stadium had a capacity of 54,000 at the time, good support then.
I was driving in the area one Saturday and Dortmund had just won the title, as I was nearby I thought I’d go into the city centre to catch the celebrations, an announcement came over the radio, BFBS, asking people not to go into town because they couldn’t physically get any more people in there. I had to go back there on the following Monday, every building and shop was decked out black and yellow, each and every one. This was early 90’s.
D C
Has liked: 1120 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by D C »

Was looking up the title history the other day assuming Bayern had the most. They do of course with 31, I didn’t realise there was such a gulf between them and second place though, Dortmund and one or two others with just 5!

I assume the split etc and other historical things have contributed to that but it’s quite the difference
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3029 likes
Total likes: 2677 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Daniel1895 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:57 am Watzke being one of the most bellend-ish chairman in the country.
Who just turned a club being on the brink of liquidation into one of the best run clubs of Europe within +/- ten years and has kept them at that level since... .
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Kermit »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:27 am In terms of club size and pedigree, I would compare us to Borussia Mönchengladbach.
A bit optimistic I think tbh. Die Fohlen have been in the European Cup/Champions League a few times, something unfortunately we've never managed. I see us as a well supported club who have consistently under achieved. In recent years I'd say a lot like VfB Stuttgart or Werder Bremen.
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Kermit »

D C wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:59 pm Was looking up the title history the other day assuming Bayern had the most. They do of course with 31, I didn’t realise there was such a gulf between them and second place though, Dortmund and one or two others with just 5!

I assume the split etc and other historical things have contributed to that but it’s quite the difference
I still keep in touch with friends from my time working in Germany and Bayern are a bit like Man United in England. If you don't support them you tend to dislike them because of their success. It was funny when Man United played Bayern in the CL final twenty years or so back a majority of English , non Man U supporters, in the pub where I watch the game wanted Bayern to win. Apparentlty it was much the same in Germany with a sizeable number of non Bayern fans going mental when Man Unitred got those two late goals.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

I'd rather go for a club like Mainz or Frankfurt. Werder has won the League I think twice. Well beyond our level of success.
I know you said recently - we've been far more successful than them recently and long may it continue :hamm:

EDIT: Just been corrected by a mate. They won the league four times and have a European title to their name.
Last edited by wasserburg_hammer on Thu May 25, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

I can’t agree about Frankfurt, I never cared for the city or the team apart from when Jay Jay Okocha played for them, the same with Stuttgart, Hansi Muller excepted, bloody Schwaben.
The biggest question is how are Hamburg still in the second division after 3 or 4 seasons? Huge club who have been poorly run for decades, in one of the richest cities in Europe.
Interesting fact, I was the person who gave the club mascot its name, Harry Hummel. I used to supply the club, a guy I knew became the merchandising manager and I was supplying the sublimation print scarves along with other stuff. It was the time when mascots were very popular but most of them didn’t have a name. I said to my man that you couldn’t keep calling it “the bee” it was stupid. He asked me what name could they give it?
I said anything “Harry the Hummel” he looked at me and said “brilliant” I said not really, it was fairly easy “No brilliant, Harry Hummel, HH, the car registration for Hamburg”
That’s how he became Harry Hummel. True story.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3029 likes
Total likes: 2677 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hammer.CA wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:32 pm I can’t agree about Frankfurt, I never cared for the city or the team apart from when Jay Jay Okocha played for them, the same with Stuttgart, Hansi Muller excepted, bloody Schwaben.
The biggest question is how are Hamburg still in the second division after 3 or 4 seasons? Huge club who have been poorly run for decades, in one of the richest cities in Europe.
Interesting fact, I was the person who gave the club mascot its name, Harry Hummel. I used to supply the club, a guy I knew became the merchandising manager and I was supplying the sublimation print scarves along with other stuff. It was the time when mascots were very popular but most of them didn’t have a name. I said to my man that you couldn’t keep calling it “the bee” it was stupid. He asked me what name could they give it?
I said anything “Harry the Hummel” he looked at me and said “brilliant” I said not really, it was fairly easy “No brilliant, Harry Hummel, HH, the car registration for Hamburg”
That’s how he became Harry Hummel. True story.
You'll like those!

Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

And die roten hosen are still pulling in 50,000 every home game.
Unbelievable that such a massive club are still in the second division. I think they beat Schalke in the worst run big clubs competition.
I’ve still got a picture somewhere of the Hummel scarves, I used to drive from Leicester to their offices in Norderstedt to deliver their merchandise.

Interesting fact, a lot of the outdoor filming for Auf Wiedersehen Pet was shot in Norderstedt not Düsseldorf.
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

Welp, they sure are currently bottling it, huh.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

They certainly are. 2-0 down at home and missing a penalty.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1076 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

:five:
SiamHammer wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:08 am Mainz are no pushover though, think they beat "FC Hollywood" 3-1 the other week
No pushover indeed unfortunately
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

I know it's just one game and a nerve-wracking one too, but Dortmund really don't look much better than us as a team or as individuals. They are looking very poor
And Haller looks very slow and static.
Still hope they win
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

They’ve come out in the second half looking completely flaccid. If there’s another goal in this it looks more likely to be Mainz’s.
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 754 likes

Post by brothernero »

Dortmund finally get one back.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Bayern now drawing 1-1.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

A Mainz fan celebrating Koln’s equaliser with Dortmund fans. FC Hollywood disliked by most German football fans with the exception of VFL Bochum supporters maybe.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Bayern now back in front and looking certain champions again.
The Straw
Has liked: 588 likes
Total likes: 1419 likes

Post by The Straw »

Dortmund don't look anything like champions to be honest.