VAR effecting clubs league positions this season

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

VAR effecting clubs league positions this season

Post by kitthehammer »

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport/f ... ry-4166480

A somewhat blunt article but have one guess as to which team is affected by the most league positions lost.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: VAR effecting clubs league positions this season

Post by stu1 »

The real question would be how did incorrect VAR decisions affect the table, if a VAR decision is correct and goes against you then you can't really grumble.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If all of those VAR calls were correct though, we don't really have too much to complain about do we?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:05 am If all of those VAR calls were correct though, we don't really have too much to complain about do we?
We of course know they weren't, but the only incorrect ones I can think of off the top of my head that cost us points are Forest, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Though I'd argue that the Forest one probably cost us a win as I think we'd have gone on to batter them, even then that's only 5 points.

We'd have been 11th.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:08 am We of course know they weren't, but the only incorrect ones I can think of off the top of my head that cost us points are Forest, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Though I'd argue that the Forest one probably cost us a win as I think we'd have gone on to batter them, even then that's only 5 points.

We'd have been 11th.
Which is where the article says we'd have been if VAR didn't exist.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:08 am We of course know they weren't, but the only incorrect ones I can think of off the top of my head that cost us points are Forest, Chelsea and Liverpool.

We'd have been 11th.
Then you have to take away the clear handball by Soucek vs Chelsea, which effectively cancels out the VAR decision against Bowen in the reverse fixture. We were also quite lucky to get all 3 VAR decisions against Fulham at home, whilst Aguerd was very lucky not to give a penalty away towards the end of the season (forget which game).

Overall I'd say VAR probably cost us more than we gained but not materially versus the other sides around us.
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

In summary, Top 4 un affected by VAR as they performed better. Bottom three, same as they were that bad. Exception for a couple of clubs, most would had gain or lost one place so was VAR that bad?
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

The_Dead_Ball wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:32 am In summary, Top 4 un affected by VAR as they performed better. Bottom three, same as they were that bad. Exception for a couple of clubs, most would had gain or lost one place so was VAR that bad?
If the argument is that VAR has little effect, I'd say bin it. What none of these tables take into account is the extent to which it's sucked the lifeblood out of football. It kills the excitement and joy completely.

That's the biggest sin associated with VAR.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I think the Bowen one hurt because it was the last minute and we were 2-1 down away at a Super Six club. That's when I smell a rat.

There is a difference between getting a bad decision in the 17th minute at home to, say, Aston Villa, and the above.
QLDHammer
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by QLDHammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:57 am If the argument is that VAR has little effect, I'd say bin it. What none of these tables take into account is the extent to which it's sucked the lifeblood out of football. It kills the excitement and joy completely.

That's the biggest sin associated with VAR.
Bang on the money here! Can’t ever celebrate a goal properly these days.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

QLDHammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:35 pmCan’t ever celebrate a goal properly these days.
Can't have sex without condoms thesedays. It kills really kills the excitement :newharry:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

The time it really mattered to us was two years ago.

We were blatanly robbed in at least three games so we would have had about 7-9 more points.

We lost out on the champions league by ONE point.

That could have been the difference to us kicking on from there attracting better players and keeping Rice.

How many millions has that cost us.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:27 pm The time it really mattered to us was two years ago.

We were blatanly robbed in at least three games so we would have had about 7-9 more points.

………..
You think that’s bad? We lived three in a shoe box for 15 years and that cost us 15 points………for the old gits who can remember the descending conditions joke.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:08 ameven then that's only 5 points.

We'd have been 11th.
And therefore 6.6m Quid better off, as the article says.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

stu1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:23 am Then you have to take away the clear handball by Soucek vs Chelsea, which effectively cancels out the VAR decision against Bowen in the reverse fixture. We were also quite lucky to get all 3 VAR decisions against Fulham at home, whilst Aguerd was very lucky not to give a penalty away towards the end of the season (forget which game).

Overall I'd say VAR probably cost us more than we gained but not materially versus the other sides around us.
But then I feel that gets cancelled out by Reece James' "push" on Rice to make him off-side which ruled out our goal.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

stu1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:23 am Then you have to take away the clear handball by Soucek vs Chelsea, which effectively cancels out the VAR decision against Bowen in the reverse fixture. We were also quite lucky to get all 3 VAR decisions against Fulham at home, whilst Aguerd was very lucky not to give a penalty away towards the end of the season (forget which game).
Umm, that's some spin you've put on that. How about: the alleged Soucek 'clear handball' was the equivalent of one not awarded for us later in the season (the arm going down to support a falling player), and was consistent with all other similar incidents this season. Antonio conceding a penalty was inconsistent with LotG and with the rest of the handball decisions around that time (iirc a similar incident wasn't awarded to us the following week), and the goal disallowed due to the ball hitting Mubama's arm as crashed into the goalpost also went against the revised handball Law that has been in use all season - not to mention he was pushed into the post yet VAR didn't award a penalty for that. Not sure why you feel the three decisions v Fulham were lucky, if it's the game I'm thinking of we got three correct decisions, and the Aguerd incident wasn't clearcut, you could argue he would have been unlucky if a penalty had been awarded against him, there was a little contact and a lot of going down easily involved - Bowen and Antonio have been refused penalties (and free-kicks) for much more contact.

So we got a couple of favourable decsions (by the ref, that VAR didn't overturn) that weren't necessarily the wrong decisions anyway, but a whole run of inconsistent decsions not going for us - we had a run of three or four games at the start of the season with pretty big decsions not working out for us (including the Chelsea and Forest games), and then three or four games near the end where just handball decisions kept being awarded against our favour.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Hard to know the overall effect, but the Forest and Chelsea ones feel like they were particularly costly as they were early in the season - confidence sapped away and probably wouldn’t have done if we had 4 more points on the board.

Difficult to imagine we’d have challenged for Europe though, but it would have made the season far less stressful and maybe a push for a top 10 finish.