FA Cup Final

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

FA Cup Final

Post by prophet:marginal »

Hope City win, personally, but that's by and large down to the fact that I cannot abide Fernandes.

I actually back City to repeat 1999 and their rival's famous treble.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Re: FA Cup Final

Post by dodger »

There’s only one cup final and it’s on Wednesday night.

I hope City win too
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I don't think this will be the foregone conclusion the media are making it out to be

Shame I won't be able to watch it as think it will be a good game

I imagine this thread will he full of people claiming to have no interest in it but taking the time to post in the thread
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm glad it's the only game on today, feels a little more significant/important than in recent years, a main event.

I used to love Cup Final day.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

S-H wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:53 am I'm glad it's the only game on today, feels a little more significant/important than in recent years, a main event.

Celtic vs Inverness Caley Thistle is another game being played today - Scottish Cup Final .

This will be the first time Manchester United have played Manchester City in a Cup Final .

I don't particularly like either club and what they've become but on balance I think I'd prefer that Manchester United won .
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Manchester United's impact on the prestige of the FA Cup cannot be understated. The decision to go to Brazil (not exclusively on them) in 2000 irreparably damaged the reputation of the cup, as it became secondary to corporate goals. In 1999 they were able to rest a few key players for the final, as they had the Champions League Final the following Wednesday (even lost Roy Keane after 10 minutes), and still beat Newcastle without breaking a sweat. After that, well, the final itself has been a big deal for the teams involved, but less and less for the wider footballing community that had loved cup final day, as a form of highlight to end the season (even if the game was rubbish). Moving to Cardiff for five years changed the dynamic, and then the decision to move the kick off from 3pm (thankfully re-instated this year).

Its hard to want City to win, but United's impact on the cup really makes me preference them not lifting it ever.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

S-H wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:53 am I'm glad it's the only game on today, feels a little more significant/important than in recent years, a main event.

Yes, I was born on cup final day. I've always enjoyed watching it. First final with a 3pm Saturday kick off in 12 years !
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:06 am Celtic vs Inverness Caley Thistle is another game being played today - Scottish Cup Final .
I wonder if they have the banner headline ready just in case lightning strikes twice ?

Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious

Unlikely, but you never know……………
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:49 amI imagine this thread will he full of people claiming to have no interest in it but taking the time to post in the thread
Starting with me, Crouchy! :D

This must be the least bothered I’ve ever felt about an FA Cup final the competition for me is that dead these days.

I can’t remember when was the last time I enjoyed watching the final since our loss in 2006. Probably the famous Wigan win is about as exciting as it’s got. It was what the competition used to be.

I miss the good ol’ days when it was completely different teams in the final every year, let alone different winners. I guess in some ways it was kind of like our equivalent of the Superbowl.

There, there’s my grumpy old man rant out the way for the day!

Having said all that I’ll probably be a hypocrite and will still watch it later. Well, it’s a game of football!
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Really looking forward to this. One team wanting to cement themselves in history with a treble, the other side aiming to ensure only they remain the club with the record.
WestHamLyallStyle

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:06 am Celtic vs Inverness Caley Thistle is another game being played today - Scottish Cup Final .

This will be the first time Manchester United have played Manchester City in a Cup Final .

I don't particularly like either club and what they've become but on balance I think I'd prefer that Manchester United won .
Morning TOMoS. ICT won't have a prayer will they ? Celtic must be about 1/20 in the betting markets.

You never know of course.

I used to like it when the BBC showed highlights of what was happening north of the border during half time.

(I don't mean the Robertson family out and about in Forfar shopping - the game) :crossed:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Of course, sorry Tomos I was referring back to the time when they inexplicably played it on the same day as some premier League games.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:08 am Yes, I was born on cup final day.
Happy birthday mate!!
WestHamLyallStyle

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:37 am Happy birthday mate!!
You stupid boy Pike.

:smiler:
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Mnnnn the cup final between two of the richest clubs in the world both from Manchester both High in the SkyTV suck up club, Eamon Holmes , Noel Gallagher..
. Might watch it or might smear my eyes with cat **** and sit in the sun baking....

I'm gonna watch it :grin:
Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

Not a fan of either club

Despise City and their financial cheating but prior to that had no issue with them really

But I’ve hated Man Utd with a passion since about 1983

So 40 years of hate takes over

So I actually hope City humiliate Man Utd

Be nice to see Inverness win , to me in Scottish football anyone but Rangers or Celtic

Currently watching the A League Grand Final here in Australia between Central Coast Mariners & Melbourne City

Currently half time and 2-1 to Central Coast the underdogs , hope they win as Melbourne City are owned by guess who, yes Manchester City
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

When is it? Who's in it?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I’m hoping City prevail today and against Internazionale in the Champions League Final. I don’t like either club, but at least then the red half can stop bleating about being the only side ever to have won the Treble.

FWIW, I would love to be see Inverness Caledonian Thistle win the Scottish Cup today against Celtic. It will be a great story for the second tier team to win, twas only last season when I watched them beat the mighty Arbroath on penalties in the playoffs, only to lose to St Johnstone in the Final, thereby remaining in the second tier.
Celtic have won the cup 40 times, they don’t need another surely?
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

I really can't have Fernandes winning anything...bloke drives me nuts to watch...would always want City over The Red Lot anyway..

I'm on City at 6/4 with more than 2 goals in game,make it a bit interesting..
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I have a feeling United will edge this