The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Believer
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

Post by Believer »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:56 pm Apparently Believer's post was about Ironing Board being on board :chin:

:crylol:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 2133 likes
Total likes: 5071 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

My money is on Soule being more of a Paqueta replacement. And a goalscorer in midfield if Soucek's minutes are going down.

Areola
Coufal Mavropanos??? Emerson
Alvarez JWP
Kudus Soule ???
Bowen

Fabianski, Cresswell, CB, Soucek, Downes, Irving, Guilherme, Antonio, Striker
TommyHammer
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 642 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:20 pm My money is on Soule being more of a Paqueta replacement. And a goalscorer in midfield if Soucek's minutes are going down.

Areola
Alvarez JWP
Kudus Soule ???
Bowen

Imagine its one of Wesley/Jota for that LW role.
DublinDave
Has liked: 3055 likes
Total likes: 1967 likes

Post by DublinDave »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:07 pm Why has there been so many negative hypothetical scenarios today :crylol: Ranging from us having no money to selling Kudus!
Boredom.

At least our new Brazilian is eating well...
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 320 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Heaven forbid we sign players outside the first 11 :horror: :crylol:

We had Ben Johnson filling in at LW last season ffs and now we’re losing Paq, we desperately need players there. Both for the first team and to rotate/bring on as Jenny loves a sub. Kudus isn’t going anywhere.
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 441 likes
Total likes: 619 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

TommyHammer wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:23 pm Imagine its one of Wesley/Jota for that LW role.
Could eventually be both if we plan to send Wes back to Brazil until January.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 2133 likes
Total likes: 5071 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Knightsbridge has signed for Oxford United.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 1047 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:20 pm My money is on Soule being more of a Paqueta replacement. And a goalscorer in midfield if Soucek's minutes are going down.

Areola
Alvarez JWP
Kudus Soule ???
Bowen

I hope the new manager doesn’t see Mavropanos as a starting CB.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2201 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Lovejoy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:11 am I hope the new manager doesn’t see Mavropanos as a starting CB.
Have to agree. Really don’t rate him based on what I’ve seen so far.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1834 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by I am Legend »

That's how I see it too. He fits the role of Paqueta perfectly. We'll need the creativity and passing if Lucas is banned, even if he'[s not, those two with Kudus, Bowen around them would be exquisite.

Worth the 30-40m Euros that's for sure.

Soule, Guilherme and Wesley along with Bowen, Kudus, Paqueta would have our attack sorted for a long time and give us more room to breath when Kudus and Lucas are off.
NedN
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by NedN »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:26 am Have to agree. Really don’t rate him based on what I’ve seen so far.
I really rate him for some reason but don’t know why. Last season was a shock to the system for him in some games but I think he will come good and end up as a starter by the end of this next season (after not starting at the beginning). Idk why, he just seems like someone who is going to be a lot better in his second year than first year.
NedN
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by NedN »

My only other prediction is that if we do decide to sell JWP, he will end up scoring a direct free kick in his first game for his new club, in the first game against us, or both
Lovejoy
Has liked: 1047 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:26 am Have to agree. Really don’t rate him based on what I’ve seen so far.
He is ok for 3rd choice, I’d keep him but he can’t be a regular. We’d beat this seasons goals conceded with that defence
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2201 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

NedN wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:48 am I really rate him for some reason but don’t know why. Last season was a shock to the system for him in some games but I think he will come good and end up as a starter by the end of this next season (after not starting at the beginning). Idk why, he just seems like someone who is going to be a lot better in his second year than first year.
To be first choice he really needs to sharpen up his decision making and cut out suicidal passes. Zouma gets stick, but never costs the team in the way Aguerd or Mavropanos have.
Peaches
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 911 likes

Post by Peaches »

Matias Soule would be an out of this world signing. He is going to be a superstar. I rate him higher than Paqueta and Kudus, neither of them were as good as Soule when they were his age. For that reason I think we have no chance of signing him, but if we did, he wouldn’t use a squad space this year.
Aceface
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by Aceface »

The question needs to be asked, if Soule is as good as all that, why are Juventus selling him?
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1652 likes
Total likes: 3456 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

The height and aerial thing at the back is nowhere near as big a deal as it's being made.

We've had Zouma alone back there who has been good (enough) in the air for a good while. Soucek had to supplement it because we just played with Emerson and Coufal, neither tall nor strong in the air, and Aguerd, who started to lack the strength more and more.

Mavropanos is good in the air, but just signing Kilman would be massive. And we could get ourselves a full back with a bit more about them aerially.

The even bigger point is that I am not sure Lopetegui will play to funnel the opponents wide and allow crosses. I would imagine we will face less crosses, will be a little less deep so won't have a midfielder sitting in there as much, and I truly think a combination of Alvarez, Mavropanos and (for example) Kilman is more than enough. If we manage to get some games from Paqueta, he's pretty decent in the air, but I would really think the place to get gains is full back, if it's deemed necessary.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1652 likes
Total likes: 3456 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Also, whilst I like JWP and think he's worth keeping, I am unsure you get what the manager seems to want from the second player in the deeper midfield pair. His accuracy and retention are good, but I don't think he has the progression that is expected.

Ironically, one of his 10 comparable players on FBRef is Aleix Garcia, but they do not match at all for progressive passing (or even carrying). Garcia doubling him, basically, whilst also being a more accurate passer (notable difference in long passes, about 20% better, but marginal in short and medium).

I think JWP works in a Lopetegui three in midfield, I think he works as a press-setting 10. Not sure he's gonna pull the strings at a top half standard.
funky chicken
Has liked: 324 likes
Total likes: 1285 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Perhaps Jules’ plan is to keep Kudus at LAM and potentially make Jarrod first choice CF? Hence why we’ve mostly been looking at players who play at RAM and even the one forward we’ve made a move for hasn’t exactly got the profile of the likes of En-Nesyri, Toney, etc.

- Bowen as a CF last season: 22 appearances, 9 goals, 4 assists.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/32259 ... rrod-Bowen
- Kudus as a LAM: 8 appearances, 3 goals, 2 assists.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/40016 ... mmed-Kudus

That’s 18 goals there before you even worry about the rest of the team.

As for the myth of Kudus being a CAM, he’s supposedly played there around the same amount of times he’s played on the left, in his career:
https://www.footballcritic.com/kudus-mo ... ons/268553
RAM is where he’s played the most.

From what I saw of him last season I thought he looked much better out wide.

We’re also not sure yet on the plans with this Guilherme in terms of his place in the squad. Plus, the position he and Paqueta will play in, if the latter is allowed to play a significant part in next season. Neither may not even play out wide.

I sense Paqueta at least will be moved into the midfield 3 and Jules will try to use him like he used Rakitić in his Sevilla team.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3414 likes
Total likes: 3339 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Aceface wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:21 am The question needs to be asked, if Soule is as good as all that, why are Juventus selling him?
They have to raise funds, up to 120m to sign new players. And they need to get their running costs from €350m down to somewhere around €280/90m. Really bleak financial situation in Turin. getting 10 times the money (they once had paid for Soulé) back, would help a lot, I would guess.