KUMB Awards XXVII: Winners revealed (see page 3)!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 3751 likes

KUMB Awards XXVII: Winners revealed (see page 3)!

Post by Up the Junction »

Voting has begun in the 27th annual KUMB Awards!

There are 10 categories for readers to select their favourites in this year, with an 11th category - the KUMB Award of Distinction - to be determined by the KUMB team.

The categories in this year's KUMB Awards are as follows:

1. Player Of The Year
2. Young Player Of The Year
3. Best Signing
4. Most Improved Player
5. Most Memorable Match
6. Goal Of The Season
7. Most Memorable Moment
8. Best Writer
9. Most Missed
10. Hackett Of The Year
11. KUMB Award Of Distinction

To enter your votes, simply complete the voting form here:

https://www.kumb.com/awards_vote.php

To view all previous winners dating back to 1997, visit the KUMB Awards home page:

https://www.kumb.com/awards.php?id=29
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: KUMB Awards XXVII: Vote now!

And feel free to share your nominations below...

:kumbnew:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

1. Player Of The Year: Jarod Bowen for me. We just don't look a threat without him in the side. He seems to give energy to other players and has been the difference in most games.

2. Young Player Of The Year: George Earthy. Its a shame there aren't more in this category given the success of the youth side, but to see the lad score was one of my highlights.

3. Best Signing: I went for Kudos. I think he's a better player than Paquetta and is always looking to do something different with the ball.

4. Most Improved Player: Areola for me. I think he has become much more confident and I dread to think what some scorelines might have been without his heroics.

5. Most Memorable Match The game away at Arsenal. It was sweet

6. Goal Of The Season: Had to be Kudos against Man City for technique and power. A goal to get you off your seat.

7. Most Memorable Moment: George Earthy. A star in the making

8. Best Writer: WIlko. He always manages to capture the match perfectly

9. Most Missed: Fornals. I miss him not only for his work rate, but for the player I think he can be. A new manager might have been his saviour.

10. Hackett Of The Year: That refereeing performance. It was the single most inept piece of officiating I have ever seen and ruined what should have been a spectacle
Yabish
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Yabish »

Can we please add Kudus bicycle kick against Brentford away as goal of the season option (my standout) (just noted its in against Arsenal - typo on the list)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Yabish wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:33 pmCan we please add Kudus bicycle kick against Brentford away as goal of the season option (my standout) (just noted its in against Arsenal - typo on the list)
Nominations thread was open for a week: viewtopic.php?t=188531

Too late to add any more now.
Yabish
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Yabish »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:38 pm
Nominations thread was open for a week: viewtopic.php?t=188531

Too late to add any more now.
wow, can't believe it never got selected!
S-H
Has liked: 5988 likes
Total likes: 10351 likes

Post by S-H »

Signing of the season.

Andy Irving.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 727 likes
Total likes: 652 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Ta for that. I thought it'd gone to 'individual' specifications re. previous threads. They were more difficult to answer.
OFT
Has liked: 3657 likes
Total likes: 2087 likes

Post by OFT »

Player of the Year
Jarrod Bowen, miles ahead of everyone else over the season and and seemingly, a thoroughly decent lad.

Young Player of the Year
George Earthy. looked so comfortable in the moments he was involved.

Best Signing
Mohammed Kudus, Exciting, could have been close to player of the year until AFCON got in the way.

Most Improved Player
Alphonse Areola Stepped up and looked better than I thought he might with at times, a very shaky back line in front of him.

Most Memorable Match
26 Dec: Arsenal 0-2 West Ham Utd (Premier League) A display of effort and discipline that was a joy to behold, a Moyes masterclass

Most Memorable Moment
George Earthy scores his first professional goal. Wow, if a West Ham kid coming on to score didn't get my juices flowing i'd stop watching footy, Wonderful stuff

Goal of the Season
27 Apr: Michail Antonio v Liverpool (2-2) OK not the most glamorous, but a goal of simple beauty, Sir Geoff like movement and power

Best KUMB Writer
Paul Walker. I was torn between two last year so this year I've voted for the other but the standard all across the team is superb.Thanks

Hackett of the Year
Antony Gordon (Newcastle Utd). I detest cheating and this bloke is a cheat, he must practice his 'speciality move' . The decision to pick him made easier when he started moaning about VAR not awarding him a penalty at Manchester United recently. and that if they can't get it right(i.e. award him every dodgy decision) it should be scrapped. .I mean c'mon, try and have a modicum of decency you hypocrite.

Most Missed
Pablo Fornals. I miss him and I believe, unlike other former players, he probably misses us too,
Big George
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Big George »

Splitting Sulii/Brady as Hackett of the Year is tough.

Two cheeks of the same arse.
JLCABA
Has liked: 186 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by JLCABA »

I have to nominate
Michael Salisbury for Hackett if the year based purely on the last two minutes of our January trip to Bramall Lane
I live 10 miles from ground and have to conduct my working and social life around these Kochwombles
2 of the most disgraceful decisions separated by 90 odd seconds
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

JLCABA wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:46 pmI have to nominate
Unfortunately nominations have closed, JL's - the thread was open for a week. :thup:

viewtopic.php?t=188532
JLCABA
Has liked: 186 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:33 pm Unfortunately nominations have closed, JL's - the thread was open for a week. :thup:

viewtopic.php?t=188532
No bother pal
I wasn’t being serious but thought he deserved a mention like at all awards ceremonies when some bore reads out a list of those who “ might have been entitled to be nominated “
And I hate S2 and all that inhabit it
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1652 likes
Total likes: 3456 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Just lost a post with all explanations, so this will be quicker.
1. Player Of The Year
Bowen
2. Young Player Of The Year
Freddie Potts
3. Best Signing
Mo
4. Most Improved Player
Emerson, although Areola is a shout
5. Most Memorable Match
Leverkusen at home
6. Goal Of The Season
Soucek's volley against Everton. It's the harder goal to score.
7. Most Memorable Moment
Doing Arsenal over and costing them the league
8. Best Writer
Rio - important perspective, well written, never preachy, never corny, but heartfelt and important. And a real example of what fan media should be
9. Most Missed
Fornals - Screw Dec, I love want me happy Spaniards who fall in love with my club
10. Hackett Of The Year
Clarent and Booze and all like them
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3881 likes
Total likes: 3090 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

Thank you for including Claret and Booze as an option. It was my absolute delight to vote for them. Fortunately they’re completely normal folk who won’t fly off the handle if they hear about this…

Sadly think most missed is Rice. What a player he is.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 962 likes
Total likes: 1996 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Bowen player of the year and the most improved. He has further developed into a top draw footballer of great character.

Earthy young player and lovely to end the season with his story.

We were blessed with good goals not least our last one, but the Kudus run from deep v Freiburg and the celebrations was my high point of the season.

Bidding ta ra to Moysie was the most memorable moment. We have not had the chance to thank a manager at a live game since 1950.

Leverkusen away was my best game, but it's not on the list so I went for them at home. Europe was like a drug and that was the day we went into cold turkey. 'Best' for me normally means the rawest.

Best signing Kudus. What a fabulous player! I love his effort, his running, his skill and his instantaneousness. With some more coaching and lifting his head up he is just going to get better. I fear he's parked here for one more season mind.

Hackett - so many to choose from and her Ladyship and the Goblin should really be given Life Presidency a la Terry Brown. It has also been the breakout year for West Ham populist fan channels and they fully deserve the nomination, but I think they are best ignored completely, so my award goes to VAR because you can't turn the ****er off.

Most missed should be Rice, but I went for Pablo because of the way he went.

I voted for Paul as the best writer because he always seems to sum up things expertly. I always read Wilko's excellent stuff and it's a tricky category and Mo Kudos to all of them :thup:
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1397 likes
Total likes: 1021 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Leon Rivers stats/assists thread (sorry mate I can't remember the title) should win the ' Labour of Love award '.

Always a good read. So much so I can't recall what it's called. :oops:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2910 likes
Total likes: 2012 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

1. Player Of The Year - I went with Tomas Soucek - to score so many goals playing as a defensive midfielder is remarkable .
2. Young Player Of The Year - young Earthy .
3. Best Signing - Mo Kudus
4. Most Improved Player - I went with Vladimir Coufal here - he has been brilliantly consistent throughout .
5. Most Memorable Match - Arsenal 0 - West Ham United 2
6. Goal Of The Season - Michail's vs Liverpool - had Kudus' overhead kick levelled the game I'd have voted Kudus - Antonio's had more meaning .
7. Most Memorable Moment - David Moyes' Farewell .
8. Best Writer - Gordon Thrower - humorous + informative - love him .
9. Most Missed - had we been allowed 2 choices I'd have selected Pablo and Manu - I went with Manuel Lanzini - so many brilliant goals + memories .
10. Hackett Of The Year - Claret + Booze
11. KUMB Award Of Distinction - The KUMB Posters Past + Present .
Eggchaser
Has liked: 2021 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

1. Player Of The Year - Jarrod Bowen.
2. Young Player Of The Year - George Earthy .
3. Best Signing - Mo Kudus
4. Most Improved Player - Alphonse Areola. (Special mention for both Coufal and Emerson who have both shown improvement from last season.
6. Goal Of The Season - some terrific goals this season, but had to go with Kudus v Freiburg as I couldn't really believe what I was seeing.(although that may have been partly due to awful defending). The goal v Citeh on Saturday was a close 2nd.
7. Most Memorable Moment - tempted to go for David Moyes' Farewell, but the collective celebration for Earthy's goal was something that I don't think I've ever witnessed before.
8. Best Writer - Paul Walker, always enjoy his articles. Special mention to Gordon Thrower as Preview Percy always makes me smile.
9. Most Missed - Pablo.
10. Hackett Of The Year - Arteta.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1388 likes
Total likes: 652 likes

Re: KUMB Awards XXVII: Keep those votes coming!

Post by Pete647580 »

1. Player Of The Year - Bowen, not least because he's rediscovered his fire and stopped throwing himself to be the ground.
2. Young Player Of The Year - Earthy, based on his two late appearances.
3. Best Signing - Kudus. Might have said Alvarez a few months ago.
4. Most Improved Player - Areola, though I'm not sure whether he's improved or just had a chance to show what he's capable of.
6. Goal Of The Season - Soucek against Everton. Made me laugh out loud.
7. Most Memorable Moment - Moyes' goodbye.
8. Best Writer - Wilko. I don't read the articles but I find his posts really interesting.
9. Most Missed - Rice.
10. Hackett Of The Year - MOTD. Lineker et al get on my tits. Much prefer the Sunday night version.