West Ham Utd 2 Fulham 1 (23/01/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

neilbob

Post by neilbob »

entertaining game, some good football, some great goals, luverly result, new player in, send off to an old favourite, lots of drama and a couple of handbags.

F*cking great night.

:D
knutknacker

Post by knutknacker »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:KK -5 apparantly :shock:

And C/H from other thread, Anton MOM.
babies. no, to be fair it looked COLD. west ham were always a team which performed better in warmer conditions... :lol: hope the uk doesn't get the russian cold front like we have here... :D

still, good result, even if the football could have been better. only three wins behind spurs for that fourth champions league spot...! :roll: :wink:
mokum hammer

Post by mokum hammer »

err, we won. That'll do for me :?
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

Herts Iron wrote:what the hell happened down the left side tonight? Konch had a bit of a 'mare, Ethers never really got into the game, hardly had a kick second half.

I also think Coleman's Sky interview after the match was very good. He could of gone on about the penalty that never was, but chose to acceot that they were piss poor in the first half. I reckon 75% of mangers would of bitched about that 'till they were blue in the face.
Good on Coleman - don't wish to see Fulham go down. But will we ever kill a team off as we should
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

two sublime goals.

a (foreign) guy i took for his first football match said of etherington "he's not very efficient is he?"

konchesky was diabolical. i'd play clark vs blackburn. seriously, if only to give konchesky a rest.

i thought harewood looked dangerous, i'd play him vs blackburn with ashton, but would rest harewood soon (bench away at the arse?)

katan looked fairly lively when he came on. i'd be tempted to drop etherington on saturday too.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Agree Chip about konch.

Think he had own agenda on his mind with Sven there and indirectly in battle with Bridge under his gaze.
Tried too hard and i feel he won't make it (not just after tonight) but just not quite ready.
Saying that I think Bridge is well overrated. But just gets the nod imo.
otter_of_despair

Post by otter_of_despair »

Didn't think we looked comfortable at any point really tonight, never got much fluency together although give fulham their due they were on top of us the whole match.

Fantastic goals but thought Yossi had a quiet one in general.

Mullins easily man of the match won most of his tackles, hassling fulham players all over the pitch and distribution was class. Thought zamora was looking sharp as well and Harewood never stopped working.

All the best Tommy!
4rc4ngel

Post by 4rc4ngel »

I must say it shocks me to hear some of you saying Reo-Coker had a bad game :shock:

The boy ran his nuts off, and Mullins for me put his foot in and sprayed the ball well, the one thing I noticed different in this game to others this season was the speed and positivity of passing in the first half. I also noticed we played a lot of cheeky balls behind thir defence getting them on the turn, Zamora and Harewood got on the end of balls more than i have seen in a while.

Yes Gabi's error caused a goal, had a bad game? he had a bad 5 seconds imo.

Henry apart what other forward works as hard as Harewood does when he plays like tonight? I for one would be upset to see him leave if he can keep his prem form going and feel he is the muscle and pace to frighten the living daylights out of these slow lumbering CB's top 5 clubs apart.

Overall for me a positive display forgetting about the nervey parts of the 2nd half.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

yeah, all the best tomas! legend for us. the guy is a beast. second half he was right in front of me (like is is for one half every game) and i'm gonna miss that springy - toed running style, tree trunks for legs, crunching tackles, scary face and general tendancy for looking like he's about to nut someone.

love 'im!
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

Won't say too much as it's mostly been said already. After settling we looked very dangerous until about 50 mins. Konch was pre occupied most of the game and Gabs let the mistake get to him.

Always think we look dodgy on corners, something needs to be done. I thought Katan looked useful for the few mins he was on.

And who can forget Super Tom, had a good game, very solid. So we need to get a replacement for him, and I know there have been a lot of names banded about and he's probably not for sale but I thought Rosenior looked very comfortable tonight, and looks to have a bit of class about him if he needed to use it (you can't not look class with an afro like that!!).
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Overall, I'm well happy with that! We havent won at home since the West Brom game and we grinded out a result!

My only complaint would be the booing of the football genius.

I personally think he's **** but for the amount of our faithful to boo a player in a claret and blue shirt when we are fighting to keep our lead just isnt on.

Where I sit in the BMU, we were amazed at it. It wont help anyone.

Anyway, little rant over......

5 points behind Arsenal 8-)
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

9th in the league, new 7m striker, happy days!
Rightback

Post by Rightback »

Not sure if it's been said, but a small word about Chris Coleman in his post-match interview on Sky. I thought he was extremely professional. Many would have complained about the penalty and felt hard done by, but he took it on the chin and made no excuses for his team's first half performance. Chris, I admire your honesty.

Happy with the result. Not sure I agree with you Otter that we didn't look comfortable at any stage. To be honest I thought we cruised most of the first half from the Anton goal and passed the ball extremely fluently at times. Second half was a different story. Overall I think we just about deserved the 3 points, but we made hard work of it. Entertaining game to watch though.

Also, I look forward to seeing if Ashton can get on the end of one or two of those crosses this season.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

disagree completely about rosenior.

etherington i like, but he's an old fashioned winger who isn't desparately skillful or quick, and can be made to look fairly ordinary against top class full-backs like half the PL teams have. against rosenior he looked a good player first half, which i reckon reflects badly on rosenior.
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

Anton was my MOTM, was a class act tonight. Thought our front 2 worked hard, constantly closing down, and midfield generally did its job well. Unusual performance from Gabbs and Konch but we got away with it this time. The goals were a sheer joy to watch, Anton looked like Ronaldinho from a distance. What is it about West Ham and Monday night football? It's fantastic! Great to see Deano there, and I hope we get a good look at him on Saturday. Katan only got a few minutes but he looks a very good prospect, has good footwork and looks a good signing. These are happy days again, 3 wins on the trot, with an OK run in. I think we should be looking on towards 45 - 50 points and it would be great to catch the likes of Wigan. Roll on Saturday with Deano, I can see another 2-1 for some strange reason......
4rc4ngel

Post by 4rc4ngel »

Etherington old fashioned winger with no pace or skill lol! :lol:
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Phew!!!!!!

A ground out result tonight.

Konchesky had a mare.

Reo-Coker and Etherington were non-existent.

Gabbidon was great apart from a dodgy 5/10mins, but when he had to cover for Konchesky that can be excused.

We were hels together by our defence (Konchesky excluded) benayoun, Zamora and Harewood. Our front two may not have scored a goal but they harried, ran the channels very well and each played some nice touches.

Two fantastic goals.

I wonder if we should be trying to sign a new left back aswell as the right because Konchesky has not performed for a number of weeks now?
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Rightback wrote:To be honest I thought we cruised most of the first half from the Anton goal and passed the ball extremely fluently at times. Second half was a different story. Overall I think we just about deserved the 3 points, but we made hard work of it. Entertaining game to watch though.
completely agree. Fulham looked stronger in the first 5 or 10 minutes but after that we had a stranglehold on the rest of the first half. Luckily we made our dominance of that period pay with 2 good goals.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

etherington does not have the pace of harewood. he's pretty quick, but to be a top class winger today you need to be scorching. he's not.

as for skills, he's not a patch on harewood or benayoun. again, to be top class you need to have that real ability to beat your man, he does it sometimes, but he makes space rather than leaving someone for dead.

i'm not slagging him off. he's a good winger if your aim is to stay up. if we want to make the step up to european challengers we need to get a left winger who is on the next level up. katan maybe?
4rc4ngel

Post by 4rc4ngel »

Konch did not have the best of gaes from a defensive perspective, but was it me or did he keep a number of moves forward going. and putting in some good crosses.

P.s. the non existent Etherington set up Bennie, and flashed a few good crosses that will be bread and butter for Ashton.