Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Shabu »

Cracking fight. Could be anyone's after 9 rounds
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Final round. No idea how the judges are going to score this.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

116-112 Pulev
116-112 Chisora
116-114 - Chisora

Congratulations Del Boy.

Brilliant stuff.

That last score seems about right to me. 6 rounds to 4 with 2 even.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Good scrap. Del Boy deservedly edged it.

Pulev’s got some whiskers on him and it shows just how hard AJ whacks that he knocked him out.

Random irritation: that David Diamanté. I’m sure he’s a lovely fella and all that but he proper annoys the piss out of me. Why the f*** does he always repeat the fighters surnames???? :fsake:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:39 am
Random irritation: that David Diamanté. I’m sure he’s a lovely fella and all that but he proper annoys the piss out of me. Why the **** does he always repeat the fighters surnames???? :fsake:
Don't like the bloke. He's like an angry stepdad shouting at a scared child

"I SAID THE FIGHT STARTS NOW!"
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The red hot Featherweight division got a new Champion tonight when Mexico's Rey Vargas, 36(22)-0, became a two weight Champion with a points win over previously undefeated Filipino Mark Magsayo 24(16)-1 - who had beaten boxings longest reigning champion Gary Russell in his last bout.

Other notable fighters at 126 include......

Mexico's Emmanuel Navarrete 35(29)-1, also a 2 weight champ & I'm going to watch him here in San Diego on the same day Joshua challenges Usyk. In the very arena that Muhammad Ali fought Ken Norton in. Ali's grandson will have his 6th pro bout on the undercard.

Texas native Brandon Figueroa 23(18)-1-1 who lost his Super Bantamweight title last year in a fight many thought he'd won.

Mauricio Lara from Mexico, 24(17)-2-1, the crazy little powerhouse who smashed up Josh Warrington at the start of last year.

Leeds Josh Warrington 31(8)-1-1 who recently won the IBF title but suffered a broken jaw for the 2nd time in 3 fights.

Leigh Wood 26(16)-2 from Nottingham who is in the form of his life & recently defended his title against excellent Irish boxer Michael Conlon in one of the best bouts on UK soil in the last 30 years. Conlon himself is 16(8)-1 & has his comeback next month.

British raised, Ghanaian born but US based Isaac Dogboe 23(15)-2 (only losses were to Navarrete) fights Joet Gonzalez, 25(15)-2 of LA later this month with the winner being back in contention.

Cuban 2 time Olympic Gold medal winner Robeisy Ramirez 10(6)-1 now of Florida is looking red hot after losing his pro debut (since avenged).

Las Vegas native Jesse Magdelano 29(18)-1, who beat Nonito Donaire then lost to Dogboe is still buzzing about.

There's another 10 or so really good fighters at the weight too so I'm hoping we'll see some good clashes over the next 12 months.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

It sounds like Chris Eubank Jr v Conor Benn has been made & they'll fight each other later in the year.

I was at their dads 2nd fight. Wonder if I should come home for this one :grin:

I can see the financial reasons why but it's an odd fight considering their weight differences & what's in it for Eubank?

If he loses to Benn he's lost to a man 2 or 3 weight divisions down from him. If he wins he's beaten a man 2 or 3 weight divisions down from him.

Eubank has been at Super-middleweight for eight of his last ten fights. He's weighed over 167 pounds in six of them.

Benn has weighed in at 147 or less in fourteen of his 21 fights. There's pretty much a 20 pound weight difference between them.

Eubank is 5'10" with a 73 inch reach. Benn is 5'8" with a 68 inch reach.

I wonder if they'll wheel out their Old Men for an exhibition prior.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Couple of decent bills this weekend. One at the Copper Box in 'ackney & the other up the road from me in LA.

There's a British & Commonwealth Supermiddle bout between Lennox Clarke & Mark Heffron. Clarke lost to Lerrone Richards but bounced back to stop highly touted Scot Willy Hutchinson. Heffron, who was stopped by both Liam Williams & Denzel Bentley at Middleweight, reckons the higher weight suits him.

Scouse Featherweight, Nick Ball 15-0 meets Namibian Nathanael Kakololo and Middleweight prospect Hamzah Sheeraz 15(11)-0, of Ilford, meets tough Argentinean Francisco Torres. After going the distance in 4 of his first 6 bouts, Sheeraz has stopped his last 9 opponents. Torres has been stopped once (3 losses) but hasn't lost in 5 years & is coming off a great draw against very good American fight Jose Benavidez.

Frank Warrens big hope, Dennis McCann 12(6)-0 who is from Maidstone but sounds like Mickey O'Neill from Snatch, has moved up to Featherweight & takes on light punching James Beech Jr who is 14-2 but never been stopped. McCann, who stopped 5 of his first 7 opponents has now gone to points three times in a row.

In America, Ryan Garcia 22(18)-0 who has 9 million followers on Instagram (mainly teenage girls) meets 2 weight ex World Champ (well WBA) Javier Fortuna who is a top fighter who has only lost 3 times in 43 bouts. He can whack too. Should be a great bout. Garcia improved immensely under Canelo's trainer but they had a falling out. He also took time off to deal with mental health issues. On his game he is excellent. He ended the career of Luke Campbell & really impressed me in that fight. If he wins this he's really pushing hard for a fight with Tank Davis - although he is promoted by Mayweather who likes a safety first approach (much like his latter career).
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Shabu wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:13 pm It sounds like Chris Eubank Jr v Conor Benn has been made & they'll fight each other later in the year.

I was at their dads 2nd fight. Wonder if I should come home for this one :grin:

I can see the financial reasons why but it's an odd fight considering their weight differences & what's in it for Eubank?

If he loses to Benn he's lost to a man 2 or 3 weight divisions down from him. If he wins he's beaten a man 2 or 3 weight divisions down from him.

Eubank has been at Super-middleweight for eight of his last ten fights. He's weighed over 167 pounds in six of them.

Benn has weighed in at 147 or less in fourteen of his 21 fights. There's pretty much a 20 pound weight difference between them.

Eubank is 5'10" with a 73 inch reach. Benn is 5'8" with a 68 inch reach.

I wonder if they'll wheel out their Old Men for an exhibition prior.
I thought this was odd too. Not sure what Benn’s natural ‘non-fighting’ weight is, but he doesn’t seem to struggle to make weight usually.

This all depends on how much boiling down to the catch weight takes out of Eubank. Wonder if there is one of those rehydration clauses too? Surely if Eubank bulks up between the weigh in and the fight to anything near his natural size, he’ll be too big for Benn to cope with?

If I was in the Benn camp, I’d steer clear of this fight for a few more years yet. He’s been ticking along nicely and doesn’t need this right now in my eyes.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

It's looking increasingly likely that Terence Crawford v Errol Spence Jr is going to be made for Vegas in November.

A couple of years too late (they'll be 35 & 32 by then. Leonard & Hearns were 25 & 22 when they fought at Welter) but better late than nev er.

Crawford, WBO Champion, is 38(29)-0 & a three weight World Champion. Funnily enough his KO percentage has increased as he's moved up in weight, stopping his last 9 opponents (or 12 out of the last 13). In my humble opinion, he's up there with the greats. His record might not reflect (in regards to very top level opposition) this but watching him in the ring he can do it all. In his last bout, against the very good ex Champ Shawn Porter, who lost in a split decision to Spence, Crawfords corner told him he was down after nine rounds. Crawford thought he was winning but his trainer said "Nope, get him out of there". Porter had never been stopped in his previous three losses - all against hard punching Champions.

Spence, WBC, IBF & WBA Champion, started off his career by stopping 21 of his 24 opponents, including Kell Brook who he won the title from. But in his last four bouts he's gone the distance three times with the other ending in the 10th, showing better than expected boxing skills in the process to bring his record to 28(21)-0. Back in 2019 Spence was a silly boy & crashed his Ferrari while drunk. He was lucky not to die & suffered some eye injuries & still has PTSD. In the ring he hasn't shown any signs of it being a problem though. Here's the crash. It's a bad one.

As for the fight I do see Spence winning most of the early rounds so it'll be a matter of what Crawford does down the stretch. I doubt if he'll knock Spence out (although anything is possible) so I can see it going to a close points decision with someone crying robbery either way.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

McCann Beech highlights

Clarke Heffron highlights

Sheerz Torres highlights
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Thirty six years ago today British hearts were broken when Frank Bruno got stopped in a valiant effort against Tim Witherspoon for the WBA Heavyweight title.

A few months later Witherspoon got stopped in one round in a huge upset by James Bonecrusher Smith. The same boxer who had inflicted Bruno's only other loss at that time in his career. Also the same Smith Witherspoon easily beat on points 18 months earlier. After beating Bruno (by stoppage in the last round) Smith lost 4 of his next 5 fights with the one win being a really close decision. And AFTER beating Witherspoon Smith went on to lose to Mike Tyson in his next bout.

Boxing's a funny old game, innit.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

If you really like boxing, this is a great Youtube channel to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RichtheFightHistorian
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

3 knockdown in under one minute.

They'd fought 10 months before with the Colombian coming from behind from a ko win.

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Cruiserweight fight tonight. Chris Billam-Smith vs Isaac Chamberlain. On Sky, I think. Might give that one a go.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:22 pm Cruiserweight fight tonight. Chris Billam-Smith vs Isaac Chamberlain. On Sky, I think. Might give that one a go.
Josh Kelly fight is free on YouTube at the moment.

Pat McCormack on the undercard. Big things being predicted for him.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:22 pm Cruiserweight fight tonight. Chris Billam-Smith vs Isaac Chamberlain. On Sky, I think. Might give that one a go.
I hope everyone is watching this, it’s an absolute cracker!
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Great fight, great atmosphere.

Round 2 was up there as a contender for round of the year.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Heard Ben Whittaker described as the Jesse Lingard of boxing :lol:
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:49 am Heard Ben Whittaker described as the Jesse Lingard of boxing :lol:
Clearly got talent, but clearly an absolute dick. Not for me.

Hope to see him change his attitude, completely disrespectful. Either that or hope he gets flattened sooner rather than later to bring him down a peg or two…