Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Joshua had some success with body punches and went all out in the ninth but he’s a straight down the middle kind of guy, no footwork to speak of, a target for anyone with mobility, and he was knackered in the championship rounds (cos he’s 18 stones, I think he said???). His behaviour afterwards was off, perhaps he had a punch too many to the head. Anyway, move on. Usyk will be looking for the WBC title, whether it’s Fury or someone else. AJ still has some choice matches beckoning.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Full fight now on YouTube if you missed it.

Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

This makes sense. Joshua's trainer thinks Usyk's fantastic tenth round mentally destroyed AJ.

Has to be demoralising.. you have your best two rounds then WALLOP your opponent goes into overdrive.

https://www.boxingscene.com/robert-garc ... ch--168622
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:57 pm Joshua had some success with body punches and went all out in the ninth but he’s a straight down the middle kind of guy, no footwork to speak of, a target for anyone with mobility, and he was knackered in the championship rounds (cos he’s 18 stones, I think he said???). His behaviour afterwards was off, perhaps he had a punch too many to the head. Anyway, move on. Usyk will be looking for the WBC title, whether it’s Fury or someone else. AJ still has some choice matches beckoning.
Fury has a week to decide. If he decides to ditch the belt I hope they make Joyce v Parker for it.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Shabu wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:25 pm This makes sense. Joshua's trainer thinks Usyk's fantastic tenth round mentally destroyed AJ.

Has to be demoralising.. you have your best two rounds then WALLOP your opponent goes into overdrive.

https://www.boxingscene.com/robert-garc ... ch--168622
Exactly what I said during the fight. He was unbelievable in 10.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Good fight in Oklahoma tonight between two veterans at the tail end of their career. Winner stays relevant while the loser possibly becomes a stepping stone.

Puerto Rico's Jose Pedraza 29(14)-4(1) who has only lost to the best meets big punching Richard Comney of Ghana 30(27)-4(1) who lost a couple of close decisions (one of which I thought he won handily & many thought he won both) early on, came back to win a lightweight title then got blasted out in 2 by Teo Lopez & mostly recently lost to Loma on points but it could have been stopped.

The top American Heavyweight prospect Jared Anderson 11(11)-0 fights on the undercard, as does recently beaten Heavy prospect Efe Ajagba in his comeback fight 15(12)-1. If they both win we might see them in a fun match up
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Shabu wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:58 pm Audley is a top bloke and now lives a mellow life in Thousand Oaks, near Malibu, with his hairdresser wife and a few beauty salons.

He coaches football for local kids.

British boxing owes him a great debt.

Shocking to see the vitriol aimed at British boxers on here. Or pathetic. A bunch of cyber warriors screaming into their keyboards :lol:
Audley is probably one of those fellas that is really too nice to be a pro. I always found him quite amusing. Not sure even he believed his spiel.

But calling him Fraudley is not vitriol. It’s just his old nickname.

There have been lots of top class British fighters. My favourite was Nigel Benn and Tony recent favourite was Froch. The likes of Hatton, Calzaghe (arguably the best) and even Naz were excellent.

Joshua just seems more of a paper champion who has been given a lot of help in climbing the tree. His signature victory was beating a well out of prime Wlad who really should have taken him out. Add in his nasty comments behind his “humble” image and he has done himself no favours.

Funnily enough I met Freddie Roach once and he told me his favourite boxer was Ken Buchanan. Talk about a legend.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've come to the conclusion Tyson Fury is the most unlikely looking boxer of all time, flabby round the midrift, with legs like pipe cleaners
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:21 am I've come to the conclusion Tyson Fury is the most unlikely looking boxer of all time, flabby round the midrift, with legs like pipe cleaners
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

This is an excellent match up.

Proper quality. Can't wait to see it. Could be a classic.

Saying that I said the same about Cordina v Ogawa :lol:

https://www.boxingscene.com/joe-cordina ... rd--168739
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

'It's not boxing now. It's fighting. You're supposed to learn your basic defensive moves as a kid. But trainers today don't know their trade, and fighters aren't being properly schooled as amateurs or professionals. They're not learning defensive skills anymore. All their trainers tell them to do is go forward.

There are too many one-sided fights. You have all this hype for thirty minutes. Searchlights, posing in front of the searchlights, lasers, dancing, bands. Then the fight lasts a minute-and-a-half. In the old days, there were one-round fights, but people didn't know which ones they'd be in advance.'

- Sir Henry Cooper
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Fighting talk from Usyk but he wants a rest first.

https://www.boxingscene.com/oleksandr-u ... al--168787

And Fury responds...

https://www.boxingscene.com/fury-challe ... ht--168790
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by PF. »

What do our friends across the pond say of Jared Anderson? I watched a few fights and he looks excellent, albeit against relatively weak opponents.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Decent prospects need decent opposition.

Joke.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

PF. wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:46 am What do our friends across the pond say of Jared Anderson? I watched a few fights and he looks excellent, albeit against relatively weak opponents.
Been following him since he turned pro. I think he's the business but still early days.

Still young so plenty of time but the top fighters are all in the 30's so he can be part of the next gen. He's called out the winner of Ruiz Ortiz although zero chance of that happening as the winner is back in title contention. Would love to see him v Danny Dubois. Loser can still come good.

I haven't heard anyone over here speak of him as only Latinos are really into boxing & they mainly follow Latino fighters until they become big names.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

only1post wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:56 pm Decent prospects need decent opposition.

Joke.
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

I watched a replay of some influencer boxing last night.

Never again.
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Jonas vs Berghault is a belter of a fight! That 8th round was proper vicious.

And Jonas wins by unanimous decision!!
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

simon hammer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:49 pm Jonas vs Berghault is a belter of a fight! That 8th round was proper vicious.

And Jonas wins by unanimous decision!!
Jonas was fantastic. Really pleased for her. Up 3 weight classes and still looks powerful. Unified world champion at the age of 38.

Some odd endings to other fights on the card though, the opponents of both Frazer Clarke and Liam Smith just seem to quit.