Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not a boxing fan per se.

HOWEVER

talkSPORT (I know but they do do some GREAT stuff)

listening every Saturday night they do

THE FIGHT OF MY LIFE

absolutely fantastic listening..

couple of things tonight, am listening to Ricky Hatton right now..

his struggles with mental health etc..how he/they had to adjust to life after fighting etc.....I cannot recommend this programme enough...

unbelievable listening and not so much from the fighting sport..

think it was Tim Witherspoon before maybe ?

have heard lots of them now, and from the point of view how the fighter in question got screwed for money etc. etc. etc. and they broadcast the fights round by round.....incredible...

it is absolutely compulsive listening....
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Hopefully you can see this tweet.

In LA tonight 21 year old Ernesto Mercado fought grizzled veteran Hank Lundy who's fought a who's who of the Light & Light Welter divisions in the last 15 years. He's a good operator & even though a gatekeeper now nearly always goes the distance.

Mercado went in with a 9(9)-0 record - Lundy was 31(14)-12(3)-1 - & demolished Lundy in the 1st round - his 6th 1st round KO.

This kid could be another big entrant into the already crowded Light Welter or Welterweight divisions. This was a statement.

PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Awful defence from Joyce - Zhang couldn’t miss with that left. First time he’s come up against someone with real power and he’s come unstuck.

For me, he needs to take the rematch and show us it was an off night, although I’m not convinced it was.

I’ve said on here in the past that I thought Joyce was too slow, even so, I didn’t expect such a one sided bout in Zhangs favour.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’d avoid that rematch like the plague if I was Joyce - only consider it after he’s got his career back on track.
I can see Zhang being a problem for most although I reckon Fury would quite fancy the task. He’s probably the only one out or wilder and aj that could defend himself against those shots and also adapt to fight a southpaw. Usyk too would haVe the skill but could struggle with the power. If I was a British promoter I’d try and slow Zhang down with fights against Whyte or Parker but he’s leapfrogged them now and is looking for for a title shot.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

And that’s why I love heavyweight boxing and always bet on the long odds boxer in a 2 horse race

Zhangs left jab is exceptional, clever boxer as well
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:24 am I’d avoid that rematch like the plague if I was Joyce - only consider it after he’s got his career back on track.
I can see Zhang being a problem for most although I reckon Fury would quite fancy the task. He’s probably the only one out or wilder and aj that could defend himself against those shots and also adapt to fight a southpaw. Usyk too would haVe the skill but could struggle with the power. If I was a British promoter I’d try and slow Zhang down with fights against Whyte or Parker but he’s leapfrogged them now and is looking for for a title shot.
I just think that at 37, if Joyce wants a realistic chance of getting a shot at a major title before he’s in his forties, he needs to take and win the rematch.

All of a sudden he’s miles away again. A fight against a Dillian Whyte does nothing for him.

I can’t see him adjusting enough to win though.

I can’t see Zhang wasting his time with a fight against Whyte nor Parker. If he’s not forced into the rematch, I think he holds out for Usyk after the proposed Dubois fight.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

I’d like to add it was a good stoppage. Gave Joyce a fair chance, but pulled it at the right moment.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Ozza wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:00 am And that’s why I love heavyweight boxing and always bet on the long odds boxer in a 2 horse race

Zhangs left jab is exceptional, clever boxer as well
He's a southpaw, mate. So it was right jab, straight left all night long.

Just watched the fight. Didn't Joyce train for a lefty? He was clueless. He did he just think that his toughness would get him through - which it may have done if the eye wasn't messed up but that's no strategy to have in a top level fight.

I also don't think he's used to fighting a taller opponent than him.

I'd love to see Zhang v Fury this summer. I don't think he'd beat Fury at all but that's the fight to be made right now.

Not sure where Joyce goes. I thought he was a better boxer than that. He just kept plodding forward with no real plan. He's going to need a break to heal & he'll be 38 in September so he has to jump straight back in. Maybe one little tune up but I don't really see the point. His trainer needs to find a tall southpaw for him to work against in sparring.

Meanwhile, Denzil Bentley had shades of a young Nigel Benn in his British title defence against Keiron Smith last night.

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Genuinely stunning display of skill and power from Zhang.

Joyce couldn’t work out those big straight left hand leads. I guess he was expecting the jab but the big fella didn’t really use the jab that much just big straight clumps down the pipe! Bosh.

Tore up the script and put himself right in the mix. Fair play to him.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Two top quality lighter weight fights this weekend.

In Wales Joe Cordina 16(9)-0 fights fights Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov 17(14)-0-1 of Tajikstan for the IBF Super Featherweight belt. Both fighters had very good amateur careers. Both fighters have looked quality as pros. I have no idea who's going to win.

In Vegas there's a modern day superfight between Gervonta Davis 28(26)-0, who is a multi weight champion from Baltimore who came from a very rough background (abandoned by junkie parents etc) fights Ryan Garcia 23(19)-0 from a nice town outside LA, who comes from a middle class background but has fantastic speed & decent skills.

Davis won his 1st title, coincidentally the IBF Superfeather, over 6 years ago & has since won belts at Lightweight & Light Welter although he's more naturally a Lightweight. Garcia was a Lightweight but his last two bouts have been at Light Welter. This bout is at 136 pounds which is one pound above Lightweight. Davis has also insisted on a rehydration clause meaning that Garcia can't put on too much weight between the weigh in on Friday & the fight on Saturday.

Garcia is a pretty boy with almost 10,000,000 followers on Instagram, many of them young girls. He made a believer out of me in the Luke Campbell fight when he got decked by a good punch but got up to be the aggressor that same round. He showed a fighters heart & mentality that day.

Davis is a 2/1 favourite. Most people, including me, think he'll stop Garcia somewhere between the 6th & 10th rounds. Davis is one of those natural fighters who takes a few rounds sizing people up then takes over 2nd half.

But nothing would surprise me in this fight. An early stoppage could be on the cards. Garcia can punch as well although I've never seen Davis that hurt.

The undercard isn't too bad either.

Here's what the pros think.

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

AJ talking up a fight with Wilder. Hmm.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:36 pm AJ talking up a fight with Wilder. Hmm.
I can see AJ taking him apart & stopping him after 6 or 7 rounds.

Or getting blown out with the first punch Wilder lands.

Both vunerable in their own ways.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Joe Cordina fighting really well tonight. 8 rounds in and I’d have him at least a couple rounds up. Landed the cleaner shots so far, most of Rakhimov’s shots have hit arm or glove.
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Tough world title fight, Cordina wins by split decision. Just edged it imo. Well done, Joe. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏆
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Is there a better fighter to watch than Joe Cordina? So exciting, so much skill and variety.

Terrific fight. Rakhimov was relentless but Cordina was the better boxer and deserved the W. You only got to look at the respective boats at the end.

Really enjoyed Sunny Edwards commentary as well.

Davis/Garcia fight showed how hard it can be for a tall guy to punch down on a smaller bloke. Thought Garcia was a bit wild and novicey as it turned out. Tank is no joke though.
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:11 pm
Really enjoyed Sunny Edwards commentary as well.
Edwards and Cordina are two of the most underrated boxers on the planet, for me.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Smith v Eubank rematch in ON!!!

Manchester Arena on June 17th Chris Eubank Jr gets a chance for revenge. Not sure if this will be a big event after the conclusive ending to their first bout.

I have a feeling Eubank will now try to use his speed for a points decision. Now that he, and everybody else, knows his chin ain't quite what his old mans was.

I hope Liam is getting well compensated because, with Golovkin taking a step back from boxing, there's a couple of vacant belts at MIddleweight, unlike Lightmiddle where they are all held by Charlo. The winner of this bout will be in line for a title shot in the Autumn

https://www.boxingscene.com/liam-smith- ... na--174145
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Andy Ruiz talking up a fight with Tyson Fury. 22 July.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Hopefully this post goes through. It's taken me about 20 minutes just to get this far.

This is a brilliant video where Bethnal Green boy John H Stracey chats with John The Gorilla Ryder about his win over the great Jose Napoles in Mexico City back in 1975 ahead of Ryders challenge with Canelo this weekend in Guadalajara.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Nice little fluff piece on the Canelo Ryder bout this weekend.