Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

aboooooooooo
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by aboooooooooo »

Good Night @ York Hall on Friday. My daughters school pal, Micky Burke Jnr wet 6-0 against a fella who went backwards for 4 rounds. Credit the Croatian for getting in there, but he didn't look up for it from the get go.

Micky is going well, and is managing to get himself on some decent cards. A nice lad as well (apart from being Millwall)

Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

Little backstory about Aussie boy George Kambosos who defends his titles & fights for Devin Haney's title on June 4th.

Well worth a watch.

Especially the part where Teo Lopez's dad storms into the gym where Kambosos is training shouting "You're going to get your arse kicked etc etc" then Kambosos dad just Aussie Rules checks him & Lopez sh!ts himself :lol:

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Canelo GGG III on September 17th (day after Mexican Independence Day).

I'll be in Mexico that week so will be able to watch in a bar there :scarfer:

You have to favour Canelo to beat the 40 year old but maybe the weight jumping takes it out of him. Roy Jones was never the same after moving up to heavyweight.

Golovkin's only career blemishes were against Canelo.

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-vs-g ... pv--166478
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Could be a great fight this weekend when Tank Davis 26(24)-0 defends his WBA Lightweight title against the big punching but relatively untested Rolly Romero (14(12)-0.

Tanks a big favourite but Rolly talks a good game. Bloke cracks me up. Win or lose I hope he puts in a great performance & is around for a while.

On the undercard West Ham supporting Paddy Gary O'Sullivan challenges for the WBA Middleweight title against the excellent Cuban Erislandy Lara.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Kambosos v Haney in Melbourne Oz this weekend.

I think the fight will be about 8amish on Sunday morning UK time.

My initial thought is that Haney will be too skilled for Kambosos. But I thought that Lee Selby would beat him & I also thought he'd get stopped (later on) by Teo Lopez. I was wrong on both counts.

Haney, like Shakur Stevenson, is just one of those very talented fighters who can control the distance & thus control the fight. But Kambosos is just one very determined man.

If Haney wins they'll have another rematch in Oz whereas if Kambosos wins he'll probably be looking for a fight with Lomachenko but if the Ukraine thing drags on he might go for a big money bout against Ryan Garcia. Or there's always Tank Davis who will be a free agent now.

Lopez is probably moving up in weight & wants to fight Josh Taylor. Pitbull Mexican Isaac Cruz is the favourite of 'real' Mexicans & fans of Mexican boxers. There's also the Argie banger Gustavo Lemos & Namibian puncher Jeremia Nakathila available for title fights. Lightweight division is hot right now.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Big fight in Cardiff this weekend when hometown boy & amateur star Joe Cordina, 14(8)-0 challenges Japanese IBF Superfeatherweight Champion Kenichi Ogawa, 26(18)-1-1. Ogawa's only loss was ten years ago & he avenged that with a first round KO.

He first won this title back in 2017 but tested positive for PEDs so got stripped. He eventually won the title last November against decent South African Azinga Fuzile (who had stopped Essex boy Martin Ward to get the shot) & dropped him three times before winning on points.

Should be a tough bout. Cordina boxes brilliantly at times & if he wins might get a unification bout with the excellent American fighter Shakur Stevenson. But the Japanese bloke will be in his face for as long as the fight lasts.

Zelfa Barrett (his uncle was big puncher Pat Barrett from 90s fame) fights in a Euro shot at the same weight on the undercard & will be pushing for a shot at the winner.

Aussie girl Skye Nicolson has her 4th pro bout (in four different countries over 91 days) too & will be looking to step up in class after this.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Mayweather gym predictions Kambosos v Haney

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Fantastic performance from Joe Cordina to win the IBF Superfeatherweight title.

Another excellent performance from Stephen Fulton of Philly in defending his Superbantam weight belts

And Devin Haney became the undefeated Lightweight champion by winning 10 or so of the rounds against George Kambosos in Australia. Hopefully I'll have highlights in the morning.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

This is a weird and quite scary end to a fight in South Africa. Not even sure how to describe it other than the bloke has no idea where he is and it's not the one you think!

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:37 pm This is a weird and quite scary end to a fight in South Africa. Not even sure how to describe it other than the bloke has no idea where he is and it's not the one you think!

That was weird.

Reminded me of when Simon Brown got kayoed by Vincent Pettway back in the 90's. He was unconscious on his back but still throwing punches...

PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Really pleased for Cordina. You won’t see a better KO this year, and with the trouble he’s had with hand injuries, that could really give him the belief again to take on some other big names on the division.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Derek Chisora (38) takes on Kubrat Pulev (41) next month. It’s time the pair of them packed it in.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:37 pm This is a weird and quite scary end to a fight in South Africa. Not even sure how to describe it other than the bloke has no idea where he is and it's not the one you think!

The guy died in hospital today. Awful situation.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

South East Londons Danny Dubois travels to Miami this weekend to challenge for the WBA Heavy title (well, one of the many versions of it) when he challenges undefeated American Trevor Bryan 22(15)-0.

Dubois 17(16)-1 is a favourite in this but Bryan is undefeated so has that confidence.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Anyone rate Daniel Dubois at all? It’s all very well shooting out lowly ranked boxers but he got found out against Joe Joyce who jabbed him mercilessly.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:42 pm Anyone rate Daniel Dubois at all? It’s all very well shooting out lowly ranked boxers but he got found out against Joe Joyce who jabbed him mercilessly.
Not particularly. I don’t rate Joe Joyce either, but he dealt with Dubois easily.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Richard Riakphore is back in action tonight. If he gets passed Turchi, he’ll most likely end up with a shot at the world title held by Ilunga Makabu, who is most famous for being sparked out by Tony Bellew at Goodison Park.

Riakphore carries real power, although his fights can be dull. I expect he’ll win by stoppage in Rounds 6-8 tonight.

If he does get through tonight and ends up beating Makabu, it’s very possible we could see a unification fight against Lawrence Okolie. That potential fight has the makings of a real snooze fest, although it’s always good to see British fighters competing at world level. Especially Londoners :thup:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:56 pm Richard Riakphore is back in action tonight. If he gets passed Turchi, he’ll most likely end up with a shot at the world title held by Ilunga Makabu, who is most famous for being sparked out by Tony Bellew at Goodison Park.

Riakphore carries real power, although his fights can be dull. I expect he’ll win by stoppage in Rounds 6-8 tonight.

If he does get through tonight and ends up beating Makabu, it’s very possible we could see a unification fight against Lawrence Okolie. That potential fight has the makings of a real snooze fest, although it’s always good to see British fighters competing at world level. Especially Londoners :thup:
Okolie was really f*cking boring early doors but his last few fights (well maybe not so much the last one) have been better. He's trying to take people out. But he's fighting a lot of unbeaten Eastern Euro types who are there not to lose rather than to win.

Riakporhe took up boxing very late so he's stuck between his natural tendency of having a tear up & listening to his trainers. He's up against a tough fighter tonight.

Would love to see another all London clash.

Funnily enough the height difference between Okolie or Riakporhe and Rocky Marciano is bigger than the height difference between Rocky & Prince Naz :lol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:56 am Not particularly. I don’t rate Joe Joyce either, but he dealt with Dubois easily.
I love Joe Joyce. He's underrated in the ring (isn't that right Frank :lol: ) as a boxer & underrated out of it as a funny bloke. Shame he turned pro so late but there you go.

Dubois will be around for a few years on the fringe. He's been groomed to be a heavyweight boxer by his dad from a young age. Not sure if he really has that fire. Maybe his sister does.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I was interested in seeing Joyce up against Joe Parker but that fight seems to be off. That would have been a good test for him.