Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Georgee Paris »

My favourite fight ever.
(Hagler vs Hearns)
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

Check this one out, hearns literally took duran of his feet with the upper cut
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

Fury v Whyte this weekend.

Will be interesting to see their plans.

Fury moved from boxer to brawler in last two Wilder fights whereas Whyte has been boxing more and using a surprisingly good jab to set things up.

What's everyone's predictions?
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Saw a clip of Fury at an open training session. A lot of wobbling flesh on display. Oh and he did the whole session in a southpaw stance.

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think Whyte has been hugely underrated same as fury has been overrated- especially since beating Wilder. I think watching Whyte vs Chisora gives the best indication as to how this goes especially when you watch Fury vs Chisora. But I really can’t shake the feeling Whyte is better than Wilder. There I’ve said it. I really rate Wilder lower than most of our boxers. Fury is good - no doubt. But Wilder was a bit rubbish.
I reckon Whyte could batter Fury. He’s a naturally bigger man than Wilder and won’t get ragdolled. He might get picked off at long range but he’s also got a decent jab and he’s not called the body snatcher for nothing. And looking at fury the last place he wants to take some pounding is his body - and we all know he’s a bit chinny. I think Whytes problem is he isn’t the best at finishing off fighters and if he clips fury I’m not sure he’ll know what to do.
I’m looking forward to it tho and would be tempted to put a few quid on Whyte at 100-1
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:59 pm My favourite fight ever.
(Hagler vs Hearns)
One of mine too, golden generation of boxing for me.

I wasn't that fussed about Saturday but mates got tickets so looking forward to it now. Looking forward to the undercard more in truth :D
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Georgee Paris wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:18 am I think Whyte has been hugely underrated same as fury has been overrated- especially since beating Wilder. I think watching Whyte vs Chisora gives the best indication as to how this goes especially when you watch Fury vs Chisora. But I really can’t shake the feeling Whyte is better than Wilder. There I’ve said it. I really rate Wilder lower than most of our boxers. Fury is good - no doubt. But Wilder was a bit rubbish.
I reckon Whyte could batter Fury. He’s a naturally bigger man than Wilder and won’t get ragdolled. He might get picked off at long range but he’s also got a decent jab and he’s not called the body snatcher for nothing. And looking at fury the last place he wants to take some pounding is his body - and we all know he’s a bit chinny. I think Whytes problem is he isn’t the best at finishing off fighters and if he clips fury I’m not sure he’ll know what to do.
I’m looking forward to it tho and would be tempted to put a few quid on Whyte at 100-1
Wilder's a strange case. Incredibly athletic, massive punch, tough as f*ck, but as much boxing skill as a two week novice.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Whyte is better than Wilder. No doubt. He’s stronger and with his mma background will not let Fury lean on him and grind him down in the clinches. He’s got short hooks and upper cuts and won’t be bullied. Fury won’t walk through him like he did Wilder who’s only weapon was looping haymakers. He won’t even try. Fury will control the distance and jab Whyte’s face off until he either wears him down or takes a point decision.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2749 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Fury v Whyte will be a great fight & one I'm eagerly anticipating, I do feel though that if both are still standing after round 6, Fury will win. Don't think he'll knock Dillian out as the boys a warrior but Fury will win on points...
In other news, an aberration of a fight has been announced:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/61172683

Why..? Just why...
DublinDave
Has liked: 2749 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by DublinDave »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:07 am Saw a clip of Fury at an open training session. A lot of wobbling flesh on display. Oh and he did the whole session in a southpaw stance.
Fury had operations on both elbows after the last Wilder fight & had to have injections in both arms just to fight it, I'd say that was just smoke & mirrors from his camp to keep Dillian's team guessing...
Looks like most of the fat is over his kidneys, probably expecting Dillian to work the body hard in the early rounds & extra shock absorption might come in handy... (or he may just be a fat fecker... ) 🤣
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Fury weighs in at 18st 12lb, 12lb lighter than against The Dosser last time out. Whyte comes in at 18st 1lb, 6lb heavier than against Povetkin.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Meanwhile, in the US, an airline passenger threw a bottle at ex World Heavyweight Boxing champ, Mike Tyson during a flight from San Francisco to Miami. That's not the cleverest move for anybody to make, is it ?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

DublinDave wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:53 pm Fury v Whyte will be a great fight & one I'm eagerly anticipating, I do feel though that if both are still standing after round 6, Fury will win. Don't think he'll knock Dillian out as the boys a warrior but Fury will win on points...
In other news, an aberration of a fight has been announced:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/61172683

Why..? Just why...
There's been a few exhibitions involving Mexican ex fighters lately.

Not something I'd pay to watch
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Whyte looked very small at the weigh in. The **** is 6’5 :)

Fury is bigger, and he’s better. Hard to make a case for the other fella.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Fury looked very relaxed and if anything they both looked more up for the after party rather than a fight. I think they are genuine friends. Usually when friends fight it gets messy. I think this will be a proper fight. Still wouldn’t be surprised if Fury gets beaten but also wouldn’t be surprised if he jabs Whytes head off. I’ve usually made my mind up by now. The weigh in has pushed me more to Fury although I’ve still got this nagging feeling.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Fury looks a bit flabby for a boxer. I mean, where are the bulging muscles ?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I'm going with Fury on points, 8 rounds to 4.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

From Spike O'Sullivan, a very funny Irish boxer and fellow Hammer, I think.

jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

Looking forward to watching this tonight but I won't be paying £25...
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by War Pony »

Undercard is shocking.