Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

Ryder did alright. Score cards were harsh. Amazes me that after all these years no one’s got him to use his jab more/better though.

He did the same thing all our boys do against Canelo - waited far too long to make it into a scrap. He finished better than he started. He’ll look back and regret that I would imagine.

One day someone’s gonna try and put it on Canelo from the opening bell. If you get ironed out so be it. Surely preferable to getting bashed up for 36 minutes? :D
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Ryder showed guts to hang in there and then win a few rounds towards the end. Never seriously threatened Canelo though. He done better than I thought, but I believe Canelo is now on the decline.

On the Sky Sports card, Buatsi done his best impression of Lawrence Okolie and boxed within himself… perhaps some ring rust though… he’s been out for a while. Some great domestic match ups on the horizon in our light heavyweight division.

Ben Whittaker, the Olympic silver medalist also returned with a stoppage win. He clearly has talent and will have a decent career, I just can’t tolerate his antics and look forward to the day he gets put on his arse. Absolutely zero humility. Proper flash ****.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

I don’t get it with Buatsi. Never have.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Just saw the interview with Ryder. Broken hooter confirmed (first time in 20 years apparantly). Puts a slightly different spin on it. Fair play to him. :newthumb:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:15 am I don’t get it with Buatsi. Never have.
I watched the whole undercard and that fight. It was totally underwhelming and that light heavyweight Prince Nazeem wannabe has already got my ire and I can't wait for him to get bashed up.

AS for Buatsi, he looked pedestrian and boxed ny rote. Did what he had to do, but did it without class and style. On this showing, he's never gonna set the world alight - he's 31 YO as well i believe.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Was you not impressed with the Welsh lass?

I was.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Agree regarding Buatsi. Bored me to tears. Hoping it’s just ring rust as I do believe he is capable of stepping up to world level.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:53 am
Ben Whittaker, the Olympic silver medalist also returned with a stoppage win. He clearly has talent and will have a decent career, I just can’t tolerate his antics and look forward to the day he gets put on his arse. Absolutely zero humility. Proper flash ****.
I loved Naz doing it, but Naz was 18-22. Ben looks a bit of a tit to be honest. He is also gagging for a long sweeping right hand.

I hope he does well & we all end up loving him but I do not see him winning a top title.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Buatsi is a poor mans Howard Eastman.

I also think his trainer Virgil Hunter is very over rated because he struck gold with Andre Ward.

That's not a disrespect to either man, he's still a solid trainer & a fantastic mentor to young men, but he's living off of Wards career.

I would love Buatsi to prove me wrong but he'll probably fail, in a boring way, when he challenges for a title. Unlike Yarde who gives his all & falls short.

I would love to see a 4 man tournament between Callum Smith, Dan Azeez, Anthony Yarde & Joshua Buatsi. My sneaking suspicion would be that Azeez would win the lot.

Which is probably the death knell for his career now :grin:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Devin Haney v Lomachenko preview. This fight is on May 20. Winner faces Shakur Stevenson.

I'd enjoy a Loma win as he's a huge underdog but I can't see anything but a Haney win He's really good. And in reality a couple of weight divisions above Loma. Hopefully he'll hang about for a fight with Shakur but if not he'll move up to fight the winner of Josh Taylor v Teo Lopez.

Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2071 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Exactly the way I see it, Shaba.

I feel for Loma. Covid, injuries and a civil war have disrupted his best years. He’d have been an even bigger star had he been protected in the same way a lot of American fighters are.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Shabu wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:43 am Buatsi is a poor mans Howard Eastman.

I also think his trainer Virgil Hunter is very over rated because he struck gold with Andre Ward.

That's not a disrespect to either man, he's still a solid trainer & a fantastic mentor to young men, but he's living off of Wards career.

I would love Buatsi to prove me wrong but he'll probably fail, in a boring way, when he challenges for a title. Unlike Yarde who gives his all & falls short.

I would love to see a 4 man tournament between Callum Smith, Dan Azeez, Anthony Yarde & Joshua Buatsi. My sneaking suspicion would be that Azeez would win the lot.

Which is probably the death knell for his career now :grin:
Agree with all that. :thup:

Used to love Howard Eastman to be fair.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Buatsi both in and out the ring, seems to have no drive to try and win belts, fight the best,make the most cash, it's like if the boxing pays for him to live to the standard of living he wants that is fine, no risk, easy paydays etc
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Carl Froch now has a boxing channel on youtube & it's not bad.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Predictions for the Haney Loma fight from those in the game....

Only one week away. I'm hoping to find a bar with it on in Mexico.

Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Heart says Loma. Head says Haney.
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Hmm I thought Loma won that myself…
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Lomachenko won that - don’t care what anyone says.

When they called 116 - 112 I thought; ‘yeah that’s about right for Loma’.

I thought he was masterful given the size difference and did more or less what he wanted in there - 12th excepted when he gassed a bit. You could see the confusion and concern on Haney’s face between every single round.

bull**** result. :thumbdn:
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Glad I’m not alone in thinking Loma won.

I am biased but still thought he was the better boxer throughout. Pressured Haney for most of the 12 rounds, controlled the centre of the ring, had an answer for everything Haney threw, wobbled the bigger man in the 10th or 11th.

Boxing continues to disappoint outside the ring.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

As you say it’s not like he ran away from Haney - he controlled the ring, was the aggressor for much of the fight and Haney’s only real weapon was that right hand to the body which didn’t seem to really hurt Loma at all.

Baffling.