Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Takeiteasy »

I had a read of The Ring’s summary and I think it says a lot when they constantly use phrases like “Haney did enough” etc. Reeks of them trying to justify judges’ poor decision.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:36 am As you say it’s not like he ran away from Haney - he controlled the ring, was the aggressor for much of the fight and Haney’s only real weapon was that right hand to the body which didn’t seem to really hurt Loma at all.

Baffling.
Pretty much exactly how I saw it. Robbed.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

My dad and I both watched the Loma fight and we had it like you guys. The best result Haney coud have hoped for was a draw - and that is at a stretch.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

There isn't a worse sport in the world when you can win 12 rounds and still lose, awful at times
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

For those of you calling it a robbery, did you actually score it round by round?

If not, then please stop calling it a robbery. Boxing is scored on a round by round basis. It's 12 x 3 minute rounds. Each one is individual. It's not 1 x 36 minute event - even though it is, but that's not how scoring works*

For the record, I thought Loma edged it but didn't score the fight. I just had the feeling that he'd done better. However, there were LOADS of close rounds. There's only 4 or so rounds you can clearly give to Loma & the same for Haney. That means there's roughly 4 rounds that are open to interpretation.

Other things that definitely influence some of us, consciously or not. Haney was a hefty favourite. Bigger, younger, stronger. Loma was coming off a poor showing & hadn't looked like Loma for a few fights (except maybe the Japanese bloke). That push at the weigh in by Haney was also a dick move. I really wanted Loma to win because of that. Haney won most of the first six rounds & Loma most of the last six. That stays in your mind that he did better.

If you did score the fight please let me know which rounds you scored for each fighter. I'm going to rewatch it & score this Friday.

I watched the boxing news podcast & they talked about two boxing writers who both thought Loma had won but when they looked at their scoring they each had it a draw.

One thing was, it was a brilliant fight between two quality operators. It's a shame Loma didn't get the decision as that would have been an amazing story.

* - it might be time for a new scoring system. 10-9 for the winner of a round might not do justice if fighter A wins 5 rounds narrowly whereas fighter B wins 5 rounds clearly. That gives them 5 rounds each under the current scoring system but everyone watching saw fighter B do much better. So we'll cry robbery but the judges hands are tied. Each fighter won 5 rounds. Maybe implement decimal points so a narrowly edged round is 10-9.5 whereas a clear round is 10-9.

That may have helped Loma on Saturday as his winning rounds seemed bigger than Haney's but Haney did do a lot of good body work which doesn't always get noticed.

Anyway, I look forward to the usual insults because I don't follow the media clickbait outrage :grin:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Three great fights in the UK this Saturday.

Up at Cruiserweight, although down in Bournemouth, local hero Chris Billam-Smith fights for the WBO title against East End boy, Lawrence Okolie. Okolie got slated for his last fight but he is actually pretty good & can bang when he wants to . His record is 19(14)-0. CBS is 17(12)-1 with his only loss coming in a really close fight to South London's Richard Riakporhe - which would have been a draw if not for a knockdown in the 7th. I reckon Okolie wins with the jab in an ok fight.

In Manchester there's a rematch of a good Featherweight fight from February when big punching Mexican Mauricio Lara 26(19)-2-1 tries to stop Nottinghams Leigh Wood 26(16)-3 for the 2nd time for the WBA title. If Lara wins again he'll be in line for some more big money fights with Eddie Hearns gang of Feathers whereas if Wood wins he can probably get a big money bout against Josh Warrington. Unless it's a close decision then the money fight will be a rubber match.

In Belfast, also at 9 stone, Michael Conlan 18(9)-1 goes for the IBF belt against Mexican Luis Lopez 27(15)-2 who won the title from Warrington last December. Conlan was in that fantastic fight against Wood last year. If you haven't seen it, look it up. I'm hoping Conlan can pull it off but he's up against it against Lopez.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Shabu wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:19 am For those of you calling it a robbery, did you actually score it round by round?
Shabu,

I didn’t use the word robbery but I posted that I thought Loma won.

I stand by that, I thought he was a good few rounds up myself.

It’s only a handful of American based media outlets who are suggesting it was even.

The rest of the boxing world seems to think Loma was very hard done by. It’s frustrating, so many brilliant fights end up this way.

Edit - at the very least, I had Loma winning rounds 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10 & 11. Some of the other rounds are up for debate.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Didn’t see the Lomo fight, might watch it back at the weekend.

In other news, Smith v. Eubank is postponed till later in the year.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I didn't score the Loma fight by giving points, but did score with my dad on a round by round basis, as we do on all fights. We gave Loma the majority of the rounds with a few draws and a few rounds to his opponent. In our opinion, Loma won it quite clearly, landing the cleaner, more powerul shots and more of them

One thing both my father and I noiced is that whilst Loma still has amazing hand speed, his footwork and mobility have slowed considerably. He just can't seem to generate those fantastic angles often enough.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Takeiteasy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:25 pm Shabu,

I didn’t use the word robbery but I posted that I thought Loma won.

I stand by that, I thought he was a good few rounds up myself.

It’s only a handful of American based media outlets who are suggesting it was even.

The rest of the boxing world seems to think Loma was very hard done by. It’s frustrating, so many brilliant fights end up this way.

Edit - at the very least, I had Loma winning rounds 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10 & 11. Some of the other rounds are up for debate.
Mate,

if you have Loma winning AT LEAST seven rounds then that is a robbery as far as you're concerned. And the other five rounds are "up for debate".

So you didn't even have it 7-5 to Loma. You had it 7 (possibly more) to Loma. That is definitely a robbery, & if that's how you scored it I respect that. And I ain't disagreeing with you. When I watch it back I may feel the same as you.

As I said, I felt they won about four each with another four very close rounds. So if someone scores it 8-4 either way I'm not going to argue. I'll get back with my score this weekend.

My point is that if you DON'T score the rounds you can't really complain about the scoring. it's TWELVE separate components, not one big one.

Thanks for replying.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:07 pm

One thing both my father and I noiced is that whilst Loma still has amazing hand speed, his footwork and mobility have slowed considerably. He just can't seem to generate those fantastic angles often enough.
Add in the fact that Haney is no slouch himself, a decade younger & 2 or 3 weight divisions bigger.

I'd LOVE to see Loma v Tank.
The Straw
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

'Fury offers Joshua fight at Wembley in September'.

What's the point.

They're just mugging everyone off at this point.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

The Straw wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:04 pm 'Fury offers Joshua fight at Wembley in September'.

What's the point.

Knollsy can step in :grin:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Before he even turned pro I said Johnny Fisher would be a hit. Maybe not a world champion but just a charismatic boxer with a following.

He's getting there... funny bloke.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The Straw wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:04 pm 'Fury offers Joshua fight at Wembley in September'.

What's the point.

25 million each, winner by KO gets the rest but if it goes to points the money goes to charity.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Shabu wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:41 pm Mate,

if you have Loma winning AT LEAST seven rounds then that is a robbery as far as you're concerned. And the other five rounds are "up for debate".

So you didn't even have it 7-5 to Loma. You had it 7 (possibly more) to Loma. That is definitely a robbery, & if that's how you scored it I respect that. And I ain't disagreeing with you. When I watch it back I may feel the same as you.

As I said, I felt they won about four each with another four very close rounds. So if someone scores it 8-4 either way I'm not going to argue. I'll get back with my score this weekend.

My point is that if you DON'T score the rounds you can't really complain about the scoring. it's TWELVE separate components, not one big one.

Thanks for replying.
I always try and score a fight as I watch for the very reason you say. If I’m not too pissed anyway.

I don’t write it down though so I can’t give you a break down but fwiw i had it 7 to 4 with one round even I think (might have been the first, can’t remember).

Three different cards on three different channels tonight. That will be annoying.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1120 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Absolutely bizarre performance from Okolie :?
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Macca1973 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:01 pm Absolutely bizarre performance from Okolie :?
Absolutely...

Very strange approach to such an important fight,
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Macca1973 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:01 pm Absolutely bizarre performance from Okolie :?
He's just a cruserweight version of Wilder. Just hoping that 1 punch does the trick without much boxing ability.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Isn’t that how he always performed though, it’s just CBS was able to deal with all the hugging.

I saw Okolie vs Chamberlain live and was shocked how bad the fight was but that’s what Okolie does, he tries to box at range using his reach and then rushes in to hug because he can’t fight at mid or close range.

It’s a shame he’s so terrible to watch as he should be commended for taking risks, wanting to be active and giving a very good interview after his first lost, but every fight he spends 80% of it trying to hug.

As for the fight, possibly two questionable knock-downs but if Okolie’s natural reaction wasn’t to fall forward a grab his opponent those knock downs don’t get given. The two point deductions were fully deserved and tbh the ref probably would have gave him a third if it wouldn’t have meant a pre-mature end to the fight.

I’m not sure how one judge scored it a draw but fortunately the other scorecards were more reflective of the fight, you can’t reward someone for throwing one decent punch and then lunging forward and hugging.