Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2014 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Shabu »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:57 pm He's just a cruserweight version of Wilder. Just hoping that 1 punch does the trick without much boxing ability.
Wilder actually goes for it. He lacks skill & boxing intelligence (although that did improve) but he has giant b*llocks & doesn't give up.

I have a half sneaking suspicion that Okolie 'gave' that fight to Billam-Smith. He knows what's happened to CBS mum & he has that rematch clause. I know that's a ****ing well out there conspiracy & I am 99% certainly wrong but that's just the weird nagging thing in the back of my head.

If he wins the rematch by spectacular KO in the early rounds then I'll claim I'm a genius :crossed:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Weird night of boxing in the UK.

Conlan was convinced he was going to win but Lopez caught him with a great punch. The blokes from a little desert border town about 100 miles east of me (not that far by US standards) but has properly learnt his trade.

Great win for Leigh Wood. Well chuffed for him. Lara looked like his was ****ed from the off. He needs to move up in weight but will he be the monster there he was at Feather?

Obviously we want to see Wood v Lopez but I reckon Eddie will make a Wood v Warrington fight in a football club in a couple of months.

Here's what Carl Froch has to say.....

PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Shabu wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:01 am Wilder actually goes for it. He lacks skill & boxing intelligence (although that did improve) but he has giant b*llocks & doesn't give up.

I have a half sneaking suspicion that Okolie 'gave' that fight to Billam-Smith. He knows what's happened to CBS mum & he has that rematch clause. I know that's a ****ing well out there conspiracy & I am 99% certainly wrong but that's just the weird nagging thing in the back of my head.

If he wins the rematch by spectacular KO in the early rounds then I'll claim I'm a genius :crossed:
I thought the fight stunk of a fix tbh… hate to say that as a boxing fan. 2 dubious knockdowns. Okolie repeatedly holding despite the warnings and knowing he needed a knockout in the last 2 rounds and showing zero urgency…

Really bizarre fight. They’re good mates, there’s a rematch clause… all a bit dodgy… rematch at the o2, make a few quid, Okolie will win then go onto fight Riakphore.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:39 am I thought the fight stunk of a fix tbh… hate to say that as a boxing fan. 2 dubious knockdowns. Okolie repeatedly holding despite the warnings and knowing he needed a knockout in the last 2 rounds and showing zero urgency…

Really bizarre fight. They’re good mates, there’s a rematch clause… all a bit dodgy… rematch at the o2, make a few quid, Okolie will win then go onto fight Riakphore.
Surprised people are surprised or dubious about that Okolie performance, that’s just how he boxes.

I’ve seen him fight 5/6 times and he never wants to engage in anything other than long range, because he’s only comfortable when he has the safety of his reach advantage. He is petrified of boxing at mid or close range so instead he hugs, if you’ve been doing that all your career I’d imagine it’s very hard to stop no matter what the ref or your trainer says.

Why was yesterday any different to his fight Vs Matty Askin where he got docked 3 points? It wasn’t, it was just the CBS handled the hugging better.

I understand the doubts that come from the last two knock-downs but I can see why the ref gave them, particularly the last one and Okolie only has himself to blame. If he’s going to constantly lean in and hug he is making himself prone to those sort of knock-downs, where he’s caught at some point in the exchange and just falls forward like Bambi on ice with his arms flailing everywhere. It’s just another reason why he needs to sort out his style and actually try to box.

With the above in mind there is no way yesterday was a fix, even discounting his previous performances, Okolie is not going to give up his ‘0’ losing a world title and having his reputation further diminished just to help and old stable mate out.
Last edited by stu1 on Sun May 28, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

:crest:
stu1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:17 am Surprised people are surprised or dubious about that Okolie performance, that’s just how he boxes.

I’ve seen him right 5/6 times and he never wants to engage in anything other than long range, because he’s only comfortable when where he has the safety of his reach advantage. He petrified of boxing at mid or close range so instead he hugs, if you’ve been doing that all your career I’d imagine it’s very hard to stop no matter what the ref or your trainer says.

Why was yesterday any different to his fight Vs Marty Askin where he got docked 3 points? It wasn’t, it was just the CBS handled the hugging better.

I understand the doubts that come from the last two knock-downs but I can see why the ref gave them, particularly the last one and Okolie only has himself to blame. If he’s going to constantly lean in and hug he is making himself prone to those sort of knock-downs, where he’s caught at some point in the exchange and just falls forward like Bambi on ice with his arms flailing everywhere. It’s just another reason why he needs to sort out his style and actually try to box.

With the above in mind there is no way yesterday was a fix, even discounting his previous performances, Okolie is not going to give up his ‘0’ lose a world title and have his reputation further diminished just to help and old stable mate out.
Fair point, and I was a few beers down when watching. It was more the lack of urgency that got me, perhaps he was in auto-pilot mode as you say.

I am pleased for CBS though, seems like a good egg and he’s achieved his dream at the home of his beloved football team.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:47 am :crest:

Fair point, and I was a few beers down when watching. It was more the lack of urgency that got me, perhaps he was in auto-pilot mode as you say.

I am pleased for CBS though, seems like a good egg and he’s achieved his dream at the home of his beloved football team.
There was one round where it seemed to dawn on him that he needed the knockout, possibly round 8? But after that he just went back to the usual one punch and hug or lean by this point. That seemed to be the only adaptation he made, that after two point deductions he went for full on lean rather than hug.

Tbf he was probably knackered after round 8 as all that hugging and leaning must exert a lot of energy, but as you imply it played into CBS’s hands towards the end as they were probably only boxing for 1 minute of the round from round 9 onwards.

I have to say I’m surprised he had such a good amateur career when his boxing style seems so limited, he literally has no mid or inside game. I suppose maybe he just used his reach to score points boxing from the outside but it’s perplexing that someone so limited could be considered one of the best in the world and go to the Olympics.

Looking further forward for Okolie, he’s mentioned before about moving up to heavyweight but if he fights anyone a similar size or someone who is too strong to constantly tie up, I see him getting dismantled quite brutally.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Okolie Billam-Smith fight was a car crash. Okolie needs to find something else to do because he can’t fight. Glad he lost personally and I don’t think it was bent….impossible to pretend to be that bad.

Caught up with all the fights now. Well done to Leigh Wood, I thought he might get banged again but that was a solid, professional and well deserved win. Agree that Lara looked gassed at the weight.

Jack Catterall was my highlight of the evening - Joe Cordina vibes: loads of variety, good going forward or off the back foot, bit of Philly shell going on at times….lovely to watch. The anti-Okolie. :)
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

For me, the ref gave one of THE best reffereeing performances in recent years. Yes he got a knockdown wrong, but I think he was blindsided at the time, and he manged the fight well. If more refs did this points deduction for hugging thing- and I am looking at Wilder and Fury here - IMO we'd have a better standard of boxing throughout the heavier weights.

I for one, am sick of sight of the "punch, hug and clinch" style and if more boxers got points deducted for this style of boxing, we'd have a better boxing scene altogether.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

WHU Independent wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:23 pm For me, the ref gave one of THE best reffereeing performances in recent years. Yes he got a knockdown wrong, but I think he was blindsided at the time, and he manged the fight well. If more refs did this points deduction for hugging thing- and I am looking at Wilder and Fury here - IMO we'd have a better standard of boxing throughout the heavier weights.
Hmmm, not sure about that mate. Think there was a strong case to DQ him.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:45 pm Hmmm, not sure about that mate. Think there was a strong case to DQ him.
I agree MM btw. But he still gave a strong showing and I think some fighters wouldn't want him as a ref.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Really enjoyed this episode...

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Romfords Johnny Fisher's dad, Big John, who has become a celebrity in his own right now with his catchphrase "Bosh" has his own youtube channel & it's actually fairly amusing. They have different boxing guests on each week & talk a load of nonsense. While eating Chinese.

stu1

Post by stu1 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:45 pm Hmmm, not sure about that mate. Think there was a strong case to DQ him.
Rightly or wrongly I think the ref should be considering the wider situation though. It’s a world title fight in a stadium and the main event, he should only disqualify a fighter if he really has to.

Instead he gave him two point deductions, plenty of warnings which won’t have looked good to the judges (well two of them anyway). He also gave two knock-downs which were dubious but I think they may have been given as the ref thought if you are going to fight like that I’m not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

If every ref Okolie had was that tough on him, I doubt he’d still be hugging and leaning to the same extent after 20 pro fights.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Shabu wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:01 am Romfords Johnny Fisher's dad, Big John, who has become a celebrity in his own right now with his catchphrase "Bosh" has his own youtube channel & it's actually fairly amusing. They have different boxing guests on each week & talk a load of nonsense. While eating Chinese.

Strange how he become a bit of a celeb. They both go down my gym…..not that he looks like he spends much time in there! Johnny seems pretty sweet though, got stuck on a delayed train with him once and had an interesting chat about Hearn’s move from sky to DAZN.

As for his boxing, I thought he looked pretty decent in his last fight. It will be difficult for him to get right to the top as it really is the land of the giants in the heavyweight division, but he seems to be making good progress so far.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

stu1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:12 pm Strange how he become a bit of a celeb. They both go down my gym…..not that he looks like he spends much time in there! Johnny seems pretty sweet though, got stuck on a delayed train with him once and had an interesting chat about Hearn’s move from sky to DAZN.

As for his boxing, I thought he looked pretty decent in his last fight. It will be difficult for him to get right to the top as it really is the land of the giants in the heavyweight division, but he seems to be making good progress so far.
When he turned pro I sent him a message wishing him luck & he sent me a load of voice messages back. Really nice bloke.

Fights again in 10 days. Don't see him as a world beater but if managed carefully he make a loads of money from the game and maybe go into something on the media side afterwards.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

In the upcoming battle to see who's the best of the least liked fighters in boxing, Teo Lopez has thrown a few verbal bombs in by claiming he wants to kill Josh Taylor.

Both fighters came through with wins in their last bouts that the majority of people had them losing.

Lopez got dropped by light punching Spaniard Sandor Martin. I thought he lost a close bout. Afterwards he was heard asking his dad "Do I still got it?"

I really Taylor gives him a good battering over a few rounds before stopping him midway.

https://www.boxingscene.com/teofimo-lop ... 10--175012

Meanwhile at the same weight, Ohara Davies will be getting a title shot against Rolly Romero for the WBA belt. Romero is a funny dude with a big punch but not that good. As long as he doesn't get caught I think Davies wins this. Rolly doesn't want the fight though. He wants a big money bout against Ryan Garcia to see who's the best of recent Tank victims. And Garcia has accepted. So then they can either offer Davies step aside money or relinquish the belt. That's when things get murky. Romero won the vacant title with a very dubious stoppage of Ismael Barroso, who was leading & had dropped Rolly. Barroso is know to UK fans for beating Kevin Mitchell in Mitchells final bout 8 years ago. Then he lost to Anthony Crolla. He's now 40 but looks much older. In the bout before that Alberto Puello won the vacant belt in a cracker against Botirzhon Akhmedov, then he failed a drugs test.So would Davies fight for the vacant again belt against Barroso?

And after all that, if he does win I reckon he'll be offered big money by Sky to fight Adam Azim, assuming Azim come through his big test in a couple of weeks.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Am I seeing stuff about AJ fighting Whyte in August and Wilder in December? Is that legit?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:06 pm Am I seeing stuff about AJ fighting Whyte in August and Wilder in December? Is that legit?
Who knows with that lot.

I see Danny Dubois is fighting Usyk by the Ukrainian border on Ukrainian independence day.

If he wins I'd consider that the greatest British boxing upset of all time.

https://www.boxingscene.com/usyk-dubois ... ay--175076
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

This could be a classic along the lines of Barrera Morales

https://www.boxingscene.com/emanuel-nav ... na--175195
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

What's everybody's pick for Taylor v Lopez this weekend?

The Taylor of 2019-2021 beats Lopez but his one performance in the last two years wasn't impressive.

But Lopez looked poor last time out against Martin although he was a defensive fighter whereas Taylor will be right in front of him.

It's a genuine 50-50 fight in my humble opinion