Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by PlaistowIron »

Azim blows away another one. He looks different class. Ridiculously quick, and clearly carries power.

If his chin holds up when eventually tested, then he’ll certainly be a multiple weight world champion.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Eggington wins against an unexpectedly durable opponent via UD. Decent fight.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

I keep mis writing his name as Adam Aziz, when it's Azim. Had a childhood mate named Aziz. I'm blaming him.

Anyway, here's the highlights & an interview...... I felt Loffets corner was wrong to throw in the towel but I'm not friendly with him.....

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Fantastic performance from Bam Rodriguez. Two excellent fights in a row now for the 22 year old in which he has dismantled an experienced ex world champion. This kid looks the business.

Hopefully he has another couple of wins then meets the winner of the rubber match between Chocolatito & Estrada (if they manage to meet again).

After that if he keeps looking this good I'm sure they can hype up a mega matchup between him & The Monster Naoya Inoue - who manyh have as P4P No.1 after Canelo's recent loss.

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:48 am I keep mis writing his name as Adam Aziz, when it's Azim. Had a childhood mate named Aziz. I'm blaming him.
No wonder I couldn’t find out anything about him on boxrec! :crossed:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

There were two Heavyweight fighters named Mike Tyson fighting in the late 80's.

This one didn't become as famous.

1991-10-12 Lon Liebergen L TKO 1
1989-02-02 Dicky Ryan L KO 2
1988-05-21 Kimmuel Odum L TKO 3
1988-03-25 Bobby Hitz L UD6
1987-08-22 Andre Smith L TKO 3
1987-06-05 Lionel Washington L TKO 1
1987-03-24 Jerry Halstead L KO 5
1986-12-22 Chuck Gardner L UD 6

8 fights, 8 losses, 6 by KO.

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/22474
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Mikey Garcia (younger brother of new Joshua trainer) has just retired.

Finished with a record of 40(30)-2 & won a version of the world title in four different divisions.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Happy 56th birthday to Mike Tyson. I remember standing in Covent Garden at about 3am watching one of his fights on a big screen in the chilly drizzle with several thousand other idiots.

Here's a photo of him dancing with some mates, probably celebrating one of his earlier birthdays. Fun times...

York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I hadn’t seen this one before - a double knockdown!

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Hardest punching boxing in history in my humble opinion....

York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Joyce wins in the 4th. Easy work.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

On the undercard Tommy Fletcher made his pro debut with a 1st round ko.

20 years old and 6 feet 7 he reckons he can make lightheavy but I doubt it.

Frank has high hopes for this kid.

https://www.boxingscene.com/tommy-fletc ... en--164871
Last edited by Shabu on Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrapIronHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ScrapIronHammer »

Joe Joyce, a big rough, tough pressure fighter, great engine but takes far too many punches for me. When you work your way to your Furys and your Usyks your going to get poggered fighting like that, especially Usyk with the angles he creates. What a fight from Zolani Tete last night, great jab.

Far better than the Warren card though was the Breidis card. Hardman vs Hartas is a possible KO of the year for me and Breidis vs Opetaia FOTY the contender for sure.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Still not impressed by Joyce. Was far too easy to hit last night, no matter how good your chin is, if you’re taking shots like that from a half decent puncher, you’re bang in trouble.

I still think a Wilder/Ruiz Jnr/Fury takes him out.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I think Joyce fights to the level of the opposition. He didn't feel he had anything to worry about with Hammer & just went for it.

Against a better fighter he'd be a bit more cagey.

He's definitely a bit of an enigma. Talks a bit dopey but he's a smart bloke. Looks a bit ponderous in the ring but has fought better opposition than Fury (in non title fights).

I have no idea how he'll look when he steps up. I picked him to lose against Dubois & he looked fantastic.

Anyway, here's his fight against Usyk when he was still a relative novice in boxing & Usyk was already an Olympic champion.

By the way, anyone saying Joshua should just go all out attack on Usyk should watch this. He's a puzzle but also a tough b@st@rd.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Chisora v Pulev this weekend.

I can understand why people still want to see Dereck, despite his 12 losses. Pulev is dull as f*** & will probably outbox Del Boy again. I hope not but I'll be at work so not watching.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Interesting.

The divisions biggest puncher versus the divisions toughest chin.

Frank Warren Interested in Exploring Deontay Wilder vs. Joe Joyce Clash

BY BOXINGSCENE STAFF
Published Tue Jul 05, 2022, 12:29 PM EDT
Frank Warren, promoter for heavyweight contender Joe Joyce, would love to match his boxer against former WBC world champion Deontay Wilder.

Wilder has been out of the ring since getting knocked out in the eleventh round of his trilogy fight with Tyson Fury in October of last year.

Joyce saw action last Saturday night, when he battered and stopped veteran Christian Hammer in four rounds.

The Olympic silver medal winner is looking for a major fight in the fall - and Warren likes the idea of getting him in the ring with someone like Wilder.

It's unlikely Wilder would face an opponent as dangerous as Joyce in a comeback fight.

“I’ve got no problem making that fight. Absolutely, no problem if it’s there and can be done, I’d love to do it. Why wouldn’t we try and do that fight? It would be a great fight. No problem," Warren told IFL TV.

“Of course, if it landed, but can you imagine Joe landing his [shots] on his chin. It’s not a problem. I may speak to [Wilder's manager] Shelly [Finkel] about it."

Joyce is being lined up to fight again on a date in September. The unbeaten puncher is currently the mandatory challenger under the WBO. The current WBO champion is Oleksandr Usyk, who faces Anthony Joshua in a rematch on August 20 in Saudi Arabia.

“Joe fights on the 24th of September. We are working on opponents. We have been working on prior to the fight, hoping he was coming through, which he has done. We want to be in a position where we’re announcing something early next week for him, and get it and on sale. That’s what we’re looking to try and do," Warren said.

https://www.boxingscene.com/frank-warre ... sh--167436
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

That’d be a cracker. Ideal test for Joyce.

On another note, I see Sky have announced the Savannah Marshall vs Claressa Shields bout. I personally hate Claressa’s attitude and all this self proclaimed ‘GWOAT’ tripe.

Hope the hard hitting Marshall flattens her.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

PlaistowIron wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:56 pm That’d be a cracker. Ideal test for Joyce.

On another note, I see Sky have announced the Savannah Marshall vs Claressa Shields bout. I personally hate Claressa’s attitude and all this self proclaimed ‘GWOAT’ tripe.

Hope the hard hitting Marshall flattens her.
Me too. Shields is an excellent boxer though & I expect her to win on points with a safety first performance. Hopefully I'm wrong as usual :grin:

A few years back Shields brother decked an old trainer of her opponent because (he claimed) he called him the N word. The other bloke was also black & they were all jawing at each other. Shields came out & accused everyone of racism. It was well over the top.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Great first round for Chisora.

He mauled Pulev, who was mainly holding, then landed a cracking right just before the bell.

Keep it up Del