Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by York Ham(mer) »

This Bridgerweight thing had passed me by! None of the other boxing organisations have such a thing, do they?
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:24 am This Bridgerweight thing had passed me by! None of the other boxing organisations have such a thing, do they?
Not yet, but they will.

I can see why they're doing it. But we don't need more weight divisions. We need less.

10 or 12 would be ideal. Lightest weight under 50 kilos, heavyweight over 100 kilos, 8 or 10 divisions in between.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

So it looks like the fight will be at the 200 pound limit.

Canelo several levels above Makabu talentwise but the African did deck Tony Bellew who decked David Haye who beat Nikolai Valuev who is the largest Heavyweight Champion in history at 333 pounds & over 7 feet tall.

In Canelo's early bouts he weighed 139 pounds :grin:

That's how I'd spin it if I was the promoter. Bring in Bellew, Haye & Valuev & have them stand next to Canelo :lol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Preview thingy of the upcoming Tank Davis v Issac Cruz bout on December 5th in LA.

I'm a big fan of Davis, who is currently 25(24)-0 & won belts at 130, 135 & 140 pounds. He's a vicious heavy handed little b*stard.

Cruz is a tough Mexican with a 22(15)-1-1 record. His one loss was UD8 in his 6th fight when he was about 18.

taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

Who are you going for on the terence Crawford v Shawn porter fight later
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

taust68 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm Who are you going for on the terence Crawford v Shawn porter fight later
I think Crawford easy unless Father Time has got to him.

He's a special all time talent whereas Porter is a decent right now fighter. A bit like Usyk & Joshua but without the size advantage :grin:

Since moving up to Welter I believe Crawford has stopped every opponent. He's doing the opposite of Floyd Mayweather :lol:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Remember when Kell Brook outboxed Porter?

Seems yonks ago now.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:13 pm Remember when Kell Brook outboxed Porter?

Seems yonks ago now.
I’m sure he got handsomely paid for landing a few punches on Golovkin before having his face smashed in, but it has been a strange career. He spent years fighting cans, beat Porter, fought some more crap, lost to Golovkin and probably wasn’t the same after that. All this with two stabbings thrown into the mix.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

George Groves has put on a few pounds, Christ.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

EvilC wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:18 pm George Groves has put on a few pounds, Christ.
I thought that. Shocking barnet too… :D
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Great win for Crawford, who stops Porter in the 10th. Hope he KO’s Spence Jnr next.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:38 am Great win for Crawford, who stops Porter in the 10th. Hope he KO’s Spence Jnr next.
That fight should have happened in Autumn 2019 after Spence outboxed Garcia & Crawford beat Khan.

Now, with the crash & detached retina, and both getting older, it's just not quite that fight anymore.

Anyway, here's the end of tonights bout

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

This is the mark of a special fighter.

Here's the exchange in the corner before the final round. Crawford is asked who he thinks is winning & he says "Me".

"It ain't you" says his trainer.

15 seconds later he decks Porter & then stops him (for the first time in his career) a minute after that.

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Shabu wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:27 am This is the mark of a special fighter.
Agreed. If in doubt, take him out!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Porter makes me smile. Fights like Rocky Balboa…. Image
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Two big fights in the USA this weekend.

In New York, the very talented but unlikable Teo Lopez defends his Lightweight titles against undefeated Aussie George Kambosos. Lopez is 16(12)-0 & won the titles off of Lomachenko a year ago. Kambosos is 19(10)-0 & beat Lee Selby in his last fight. He has quick hands but not much power. I'm expecting Lopez to win before the halfway mark although I do have suspicions he's struggling at the weight.

Their two dads have have run ins this week which has been amusing :lol: Lopez's dad is a ****ing idiot.

The lesser fight but MUCH better fight is in Vegas & involves Philly Boxer Stephen Fulton 19(8)-0 who holds the WBO Super Bantam belt against Brandon Figueroa of Texas who is 22(17)-0-1 & has the WBA & WBC belts.

In his last bout Figueroa unified titles when he beat the ferocious Luis Nery 31(24)-0 who I (& everyone) had as a big favourite & expected him to walk thru Figueroa but the young Texan finished him with a lovely body shot.

Fulton is a classy boxer who's usually a little taller than his opponents but is a couple of inches shorter than Figueroa who doesn't fight like his body type at all. He could box rangy & use his height & length but he likes to get inside & trade punches.

This could be a very interesting bout with the two contrasting styles. Both undefeated young fighters.

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:29 pm Porter makes me smile. Fights like Rocky Balboa…. Image
Hands down, chin in the air, blocking punches with his face?
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

BTW Shabu - you never answered my question. What is it that you see in AJ that I patently do not? You seem completely certain I've got him completely wrong, and that he's a legitimate top tier fighter. All I see is a bloke who carries too much of the wrong type of muscle, and has the style of someone who didn't start training for proper until he was close to his twenties. Clearly he's far from a can, but there's just something I find very unconvincing about him, and I'd like to understand what it is that I'm getting wrong in my assessment.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 pm BTW Shabu - you never answered my question. What is it that you see in AJ that I patently do not? You seem completely certain I've got him completely wrong, and that he's a legitimate top tier fighter. All I see is a bloke who carries too much of the wrong type of muscle, and has the style of someone who didn't start training for proper until he was close to his twenties. Clearly he's far from a can, but there's just something I find very unconvincing about him, and I'd like to understand what it is that I'm getting wrong in my assessment.
I'm not sure what your question is, mate?
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Shabu wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:31 pm I'm not sure what your question is, mate?
You took umbrage when I was, with some hyperbole, expressing bemusement over AJ’s skillset a while back, and alluded to the thought that I’m a casual boxing fan (kind of true, though I have trained in several martial arts, including boxing, but generally prefer MMA) and that AJ is genuinely a top tier HW. I asked you at that time to explain to me what you perceive in him that I do not, was just wondering if you were able to help me understand what I’m missing.