Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by York Ham(mer) »

PlaistowIron wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:55 pm Surely a tune up for something bigger? Seems an odd fight for the stage he’s at…
He’s been out of the ring for a while. It’ll be a warm up for a bigger fight later in the year.
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Joe Joyce in the Usyk KOs Joshua in the rematch camp.

I can see that. If he's more aggressive & coming forward he's more likely to get gassed as well as walk onto Usyk's punches.

https://www.boxingscene.com/joe-joyce-s ... ch--167044
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Shawn Porter, a recently retired Welterweight Champion whose only losses were to Kell Brook, Keith Thurman, Errol Spence & Terence Crawford has a great podcast for those who like some background boxing stories.

He talks about sparring Manny Pacquiao as a young man & other things you don't always hear.

He's a smart bloke who has some interesting views.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePorterWayP ... ips/videos
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Joe Smith is a 9 to 1 underdog tonight. With many saying it will be over in the first few rounds which surprises me.

Beterbievs last three bouts have gone 10, 10 & 9 rounds whereas Smith has only lost by stoppage once & that was with a double fractured jaw TWELVE years ago. And he still struggled on for two rounds after his jaw was broken.

I'm not saying he's going to win (although if I was a betting man I'd have a sneaky tenner at those odds) but I think people are looking at how tough & strong Beterbiev coupled with his 100% KO record & overlooking the Long Island man. It might even be worth looking at the odds for the bout going over 7 rounds.

The biggest problem for Smith is that Beterbiev just keeps on coming. And he works the body a lot so you're worn out, mentally & physically, by the later stages of the fight.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Wow. Brutal from Beterbiev. Over inside 2. Clinical and powerful.

FairPlay to Smith Jnr, certainly came to fight, but perhaps should have gave himself a couple of rounds to settle.

Good stoppage from the ref 👍
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:19 am Wow. Brutal from Beterbiev. Over inside 2. Clinical and powerful.

FairPlay to Smith Jnr, certainly came to fight, but perhaps should have gave himself a couple of rounds to settle.

Good stoppage from the ref 👍
So much for me thinking it would go over six rounds :clown:

Masterclass from Beterbiev. He'd obviously studied Smith & those first two knockdowns were identical. A short clubbing right hook to the top of the head.

Hopefully now we can see an all Russian bout for the undisputed Light Heavy title. There's no one else for Bivol to fight with Canelo going against GGG again.

Yarde is mandatory for Beterbiev's WBO Title but we want Bivol.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

They asked Beterbiev after the fight about a meetup with Usyk & he seemed interested.

I know it sounds far fetched but they did meet three times as amateurs. Usyk won the first two, despite getting knocked down in the first meeting, and Beterbiev won the final meeting.

And there's the Russia Ukraine angle......
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

It's more or less agreed - we're looking to fight the winner in October in London," Warren told BBC Sport.

"Bob and I have agreed we'll do the fight, but they're going to be ordered [to fight Yarde] anyway. It will be a great fight, whoever wins."

If I was Warren, Yarde or any of the other ranked Brits, I would be looking to let the unification with Bivol happen next.
Warren could probably get Yarde a pay day for standing aside, and then achieve another with a decent domestic bout.
All the Brits have time on their sides, because, in my opinion Artur looks unbeatable at the moment.
And although I expect he will still be at 38 next year, he may well have reached his peak.

Whatever happens if these promoters pull their fingers out we should have some decent match ups in the near future.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Usyk v Joshua II set for August 20 in Saudi Arabia.

AJ set to earn 100 million quid :shock:

I think Joshua's best chance if I pick Usyk to win easily :lol:

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Fairly interesting documentary about an interesting white bloke who thought he was Ali reincarnated but led an unorthodox life.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

only1post wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm It's more or less agreed - we're looking to fight the winner in October in London," Warren told BBC Sport.

"Bob and I have agreed we'll do the fight, but they're going to be ordered [to fight Yarde] anyway. It will be a great fight, whoever wins."

If I was Warren, Yarde or any of the other ranked Brits, I would be looking to let the unification with Bivol happen next.
Warren could probably get Yarde a pay day for standing aside, and then achieve another with a decent domestic bout.
All the Brits have time on their sides, because, in my opinion Artur looks unbeatable at the moment.
And although I expect he will still be at 38 next year, he may well have reached his peak.

Whatever happens if these promoters pull their fingers out we should have some decent match ups in the near future.
Yarde & Buatsi (& probably Callum Smith) aside there's some decent UK Light Heavies around who should all fight each other.

Craig Richards, Callum Johnson, Rocky Fielding, Dan Azeez, Lyndon Arthur & Shakan Pitters are all quality operators & a good mixture of boxer, slugger & a bit in between.

Richards performed well in losses to Bivol & Buatsi plus gave Pitters his only loss - who has rebounded well. Callum Johnson went to war with Beterbiev, had a dodgy knockdown against him then heavily decked the Russian before succumbing in the 4th. Dan Azeez has been cleaning out the British title in the last couple of years. Rocky's only losses were to Smith & Canelo & he held a world title at Super Middle. And Lyndon Arthur beat Yarde before losing the rematch.

All good fighters & they could make nice money against each other. The winner of that little super six would be in line for a mega money fight.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Amateur boxing cannot shake culture of bout manipulation

Prof. Richard McLaren's report doesn't hold back

International amateur boxing "cannot seem to shake its historical culture of bout manipulation", an independent investigation into the sport has concluded.

Professor Richard McLaren said that boxing "needs to act now" if it is to be included in the Los Angeles Games.

Boxing was not included in an initial programme for the 2028 Olympics.

But it could be added at a later date if it is deemed to have addressed concerns about its governance.

In his final report, Professor McLaren, the head of an investigation commissioned by the sport's world governing body the International Boxing Association (amateur)
- formerly the AIBA - detailed decades of financial mismanagement and deception, rule breaking in the ring, and inadequate training and education programmes for referees, judges and officials.

Last September, his investigation found that a system to manipulate the outcome of boxing matches by officials was in place at the Rio 2016 Olympics, with "suspicious" bouts including defeats for Great Britain's Joe Joyce and Ireland's Michael Conlan.

His investigation team have helped develop a system of vetting referees and officials using artificial intelligence.

This led to 22 high-risk officials being removed from competition in the past year or not being recommended for future appointments.

The "long" list of rule breaches by officials at recent tournaments included peer pressure to manipulate bouts, excessive manual manipulation of the referee and judges draw and the use of mobile phones.

more...
Basically it's as bent as a nine bob note, which came as a surprise to precisely nobody.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Forgot Daniel “dubious” Dubois was fighting the other day - anyone know how he got on? Won in the 4th, but did he get rocked or struggle or anything?
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Dubois fought a slow, flabby, lowly ranked Yank who had only fought twice since 2018. We learnt nothing except Dubois is now the WBA mandatory challenger to the winner of Joshua vs Usyk! Laughable.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

If Joshua beats Usyk he will officially be the best ever at winning Heavyweight title rematches in Saudi Arabia in the history of boxing.

I don't think he will win but IF he does, then his place in Saudi Arabian Heavyweight boxing is secure. 2 fights, 2 wins, 2 Heavyweight title rematches won. Even Ali didn't manage that in Saudi Arabia.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:56 pm Dubois fought a slow, flabby, lowly ranked Yank who had only fought twice since 2018. We learnt nothing except Dubois is now the WBA mandatory challenger to the winner of Joshua vs Usyk! Laughable.
According to Frank Warren, Daniel Dubois beat an unbeaten American World Champion in his own backyard :grin:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Smokin' Joe Frazier.

Love this bloke.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Couple of good bills this Saturday, one in the Midlands & the other in Texas.

Sam Eggington 31(18)-7(2) proves once again that a few losses doesn't mean the end of a career when he goes up against Polands Przemyslaw Zysk 18(6)-0 for some fringe world title at Light Middle. He's been in war after war & you have to wonder how he'll end up in later years. Hopefully OK & with a bit of money in the bank.

OK undercard showcasing a lot of the up & comers Sky & Boxxer have sign including one of Britains brightest young talents, Adam Aziz of Slough. This good (only 20) looks the dogs b*llocks so far so expect to see him heavily hyped on Sky.

In Texas you have a stacked card (it was more stacked but Julio Cesar Martinez - who's fought a few UK fighters - pulled out again in the week of the fight).

At super bantam Murodjon Akhmadaliev 10 0 0 defends against Ronny Rios 33 3 0
Jesse Rodriguez Franco 15 0 0, who looked sensational in winning the Superfly title earlier this year defends against rugged ex champ, Thailands Wisaksil Wangek 50 5 1, who knocked out Chocolotito just a few years ago.
Jessica McCaskill 11 2 0, who's only loss in the last 6 years was to Katie Taylor, defends her title against Alma Ibarra 10 1 0.
Featherweight prospect Raymond Ford 11 0 1 meets fellow unbeaten fighter Richard Medina 13 0 0.
And light middle prospect Nikita Ababiy 11 0 0 fights my neighbour Noe Larios Jr 14 1 0 whose only loss was to Belfasts' London born Caoimhin Agyarko.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:01 pm Couple of good bills this Saturday, one in the Midlands & the other in Texas.

Sam Eggington 31(18)-7(2) proves once again that a few losses doesn't mean the end of a career when he goes up against Polands Przemyslaw Zysk 18(6)-0 for some fringe world title at Light Middle. He's been in war after war & you have to wonder how he'll end up in later years. Hopefully OK & with a bit of money in the bank.

OK undercard showcasing a lot of the up & comers Sky & Boxxer have sign including one of Britains brightest young talents, Adam Aziz of Slough. This good (only 20) looks the dogs b*llocks so far so expect to see him heavily hyped on Sky.
Eggington is always in decent fights, but that’s because he’s not afraid to take a few punches to land a few back. He has taken a lot of unnecessary punishment though. I agree and hope he ends up healthy with a few quid in the bank. Hope he gets the victory tonight. Im sure it’ll finish by KO either way.

Azim is going places. It’s already getting to the stage where it’s difficult to match him.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I wondered where Eggington was. Like you say, you do worry about him in later life.