Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Shabu »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:01 pm You took umbrage when I was, with some hyperbole, expressing bemusement over AJ’s skillset a while back, and alluded to the thought that I’m a casual boxing fan (kind of true, though I have trained in several martial arts, including boxing, but generally prefer MMA) and that AJ is genuinely a top tier HW. I asked you at that time to explain to me what you perceive in him that I do not, was just wondering if you were able to help me understand what I’m missing.
I wrote a nice lengthy reply & the site crashed & logged me out after I push send :lol:

If it was you that called him a body builder I think that's just lazy stereotyping people use when a boxer has a decent physique.

I don't read the UK press for boxing so miss all the hyperbole. I talk to boxers, ex boxers, journalists, trainers & hard core fans. Not too many went over the top for Joshua. He's a world class fighter by todays standards whereas Usyk is a generational talent who may still have another couple of levels.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

What an incredible fight. I had Kambosos winning 116-111

The judges have it.....

115-111 Kambosos
114-113 Lopez
115-112 Kambosos

And the new.......
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Bloody hell, Fulton v Figueroa was just as good. Two classic fights on one night.

I didn't score it but a draw would have been fair. Fulton won by 114-114 & two cards of 116-112 which was much too wide
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Shabu wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:50 am What an incredible fight. I had Kambosos winning 116-111

The judges have it.....

115-111 Kambosos
114-113 Lopez
115-112 Kambosos

And the new.......
Like I always say, a good chin will take you a long way.

How he rallied himself for the last two rounds I’ll never know. Terrific stuff.

Thankfully two of the judges were brave enough to give the right result.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Highlights from Lopez v Kambosos

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Bloody hell, what a scrap.

Was Lopez struggling to make the weight at all?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

EvilC wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:43 pm Bloody hell, what a scrap.

Was Lopez struggling to make the weight at all?
He's been tight at the weight for years. He was a division bigger than Kambosos & 2 bigger than Loma. He said before the fight he was moving up no matter what.

But he had the wrong gameplan all along. Thought he could just blow Kambosos away.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Saw a clip of Pulev vs Mir. Absolutely disgraceful matchup. Disgraceful.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:38 am Saw a clip of Pulev vs Mir. Absolutely disgraceful matchup. Disgraceful.
Ref was a disgrace too… really dithered rather than just stop the contest. Pulev was kind.
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Kell Brook will fight Amir Khan in Feb, 5 years after anyone stopped giving a flying one about that fight.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Big George wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:23 pm Kell Brook will fight Amir Khan in Feb, 5 years after anyone stopped giving a flying one about that fight.
:lol:

If you have Sky prepare to be inundated with BEEF from this grudge match

https://www.boxingscene.com/amir-khan-v ... er--162380
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Big George wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:23 pm Kell Brook will fight Amir Khan in Feb, 5 years after anyone stopped giving a flying one about that fight.
One last payday for each of them. Would’ve been a great fight with them both at their peak.

Brook by KO for me.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Funny, I'm on twitter mainly for boxing updates & info & today is full of people talking about Brook Khan. Mainly saying that it's too late but still everyone is talking about it.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Such a shame that these two couldn’t have done this five years ago. I’d like to watch it but I’m too much of a **** to be prepared to pay to top up their pensions.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Yeah it’s 5 years later than it should’ve been but it’s still a legit fight if only for the fact that’s it hard to pick a winner. I’ll watch it.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:19 pm Yeah it’s 5 years later than it should’ve been but it’s still a legit fight if only for the fact that’s it hard to pick a winner. I’ll watch it.
I sort of wonder if the battering from Golovkin and continually getting stabbed might have aged Brook a bit. Like you say, it's actually an interesting fight, it is a shame I don't like either of them.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

EvilC wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:13 pm I sort of wonder if the battering from Golovkin and continually getting stabbed might have aged Brook a bit. Like you say, it's actually an interesting fight, it is a shame I don't like either of them.
The fight is made at 149 pounds. Brook has to pay 100,000 quid penalty for every pound he weighs over that.

He was 147 for his last fight against Crawford 13 months ago but he was struggling at the weight.

His three previous weights were 153.75, 150 & 153.5.

I think the going up in weight to Middleweight took as much out of him as the beating from Golovkin. Roy Jones was never the same after bulking up to 193 to beat Ruiz at Heavy then boiling back down to 175.

He'll need a really good nutritionist to make the weight properly. No cutting corners, splash out on someone top notch because the winner of this fight (if they look good) WILL get another big payday.

Of course, if it's a good fight (or controversial ending) we can look forward to Brook Khan II in the Autumn of 2022. Or even later in the year in Qatar in front of 75,000 football fans as a kick off to the World Cup.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

EvilC wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:13 pm I sort of wonder if the battering from Golovkin and continually getting stabbed might have aged Brook a bit..
Re Golovkin definitely. In hindsight he probably wishes he hadn’t taken that fight but it’s easy to forget that back then no one his own size wanted to fight him after the Porter win. He was the Boo Boo Andrade of his day. I think he was actually winning that fight right up until GGG broke his face with one punch.

He’s been a bit unlucky really. At his best he was very very good and would have beaten Khan all day long.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:46 pm Re Golovkin definitely. In hindsight he probably wishes he hadn’t taken that fight but it’s easy to forget that back then no one his own size wanted to fight him after the Porter win. He was the Boo Boo Andrade of his day. I think he was actually winning that fight right up until GGG broke his face with one punch.

He’s been a bit unlucky really. At his best he was very very good and would have beaten Khan all day long.
Not quite sure about that, Mr Mole. Did they put in serious bids to anyone?

At that time Mayweather held the WBC so he would have wanted control of the promotion & Brooks future fight.

Thurman had just won the WBA title. I don't remember if Hearn tried to put them together or not.

Jesse Vargas was WBO champ & had a fight with Pacquiao lined up.

There wasn't much else around at Welter then to be fair.

From what I remember Golovkin was due to fight Eubank Jr, who dropped out (for whatever reason) & Hearn offered it to Brook as that made the most sense from a promotional point of view.

I wouldn't say that no one wanted to fight him was accurate. More that there wasn't any big money fights available at 147.

As for Andrade, he & Charlo should have fought by now. That's the fight that makes the most sense. Despite being 33 and an undefeated 2 weight Champion, Andrade still hasn't beaten a top fighter at either weight. It's a bit like the old Frank Warren WBO Champions back in the 90s. Lots of noise but just ticking along picking up C level wins for B level money.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:46 pm Re Golovkin definitely. In hindsight he probably wishes he hadn’t taken that fight but it’s easy to forget that back then no one his own size wanted to fight him after the Porter win. He was the Boo Boo Andrade of his day. I think he was actually winning that fight right up until GGG broke his face with one punch.

Yeah, I agree he would have beaten Khan at his peak.