West Ham 'worst experience ever', says Everton chief

  • by Staff Writer
  • Wednesday, 10th January 2018

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has promised supporters that the club's new stadium will not repeat the mistakes made at the Olympic Stadium.

The 72-year-old, speaking at a supporters' meeting in Liverpool last night criticised West Ham United's current stadium when asked by a fan during a Q&A section whether the proposed Bramley Moore Dock development would "be like West Ham's".

To which Kenwright - who Hammers vice chair Karren Brady has previously described as "delightful" and "a particular chum of mine" - retorted: "No - being sat at West Ham was the worst experience ever."


The Bramley Moore Dock site where Everton's new ground will be built


Two-thirds of the new stadium project are set to be funded by Liverpool City Council. Architect Dan Meis revealed during the meeting that one of the key requirments is for "fans being close to the pitch".

"It's an incredibly exciting time for us,” he said. "2018 is going to be a very exciting time for all of us as the project moves along. It’s become a very unusual, passionate, career-defining project and will create a unique building that will be a model for football the world over."

Everton hope to move into their new stadium by 2022. The club also plan to retain current ground Goodison Park, for the benefit of the local community, much of which will be converted to green space.

* Something to say about this story? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.



More News