Sakho sidelined until 2016, says Bilic

  • by Staff Writer
  • Thursday, 3rd December 2015

Slaven Bilic has confirmed that striker Diafra Sakho is unlikely to return until the new year - as exclusively revealed on KUMB earlier this week.

We revealed on Monday how the Senegal international - injured during the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion last weekend - was expecting to face around two months on the sidelines as a result of the thigh injury he sustained late on in the game.

And that story was confirmed by Bilic during his pre-match press conference this morning - in which he admitted that Sakho would be out for some considerable time.

"We are still waiting for the results of the scan, but it's not good," said Bilic. "It will definitely not be a couple of weeks - we're looking at four to eight weeks, maybe longer, but we are waiting for the opinion of a couple of specialists.

"It is a thigh injury and he's got a bit of history with that. It happened in a game when he got the ball and had a chance. He felt it when he was sprinting and because he's a brave guy, he continued - but when he fell down after the shot he felt it again.

"It's a muscle injury, it's not dangerous for long-term or whatever but it's not a light one, unfortunately. We are going to be without him for a few games definitely."

The manager - whose team face Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon - also admitted that Sakho's injury had arrived at the worst possible time - when two of his fellow attacking players are already sidelined.

"Of course it's a big blow,2 he added. "In terms of the quantity of injuries we are not bad, we are ok in that department. Unfortunately those three injuries - Payet, Sakho, Valencia - have happened to our key players, especially on the offensive side of our game. It's a big blow for us."

* Something to say about this story? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.

Related News