Nate hungry for more

  • by Staff Writer
  • Wednesday, 27th September 2017

Academy star Nathan Holland says he hopes to be involved more in the first team as the season progresses.

The 19-year-old midfielder moved to West Ham from Everton back in January for a nominal fee, having signed a three-and-a-half year pro contract with the Hammers -a deal considerd as a major coup by Academy Director Terry Westley.

Embed from Getty Images


It took the Wythenshawe-born teenager - who is eligible to play for both England and Barbados - just eight months to break into the Hammers first team, as he made his debut against Bolton in the Carabao Cup last week.

And rather than simply being content with his sole appearance, Holland has the taste for more. "I'm looking at the season now, rather than just breaking straight into the Premier League team," he told West Ham's website.

"It's a big squad and you have to work hard to get your chance. I need to keep working hard with the Under 23s and then hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

"I am training with the first team a lot and the gaffer has shown his faith in me; I can see that he believes in me. He is a great coach."

Holland - who was allowed to leave Goodison Park following Evertoin's decision not to extend his contract - replaced fellow debutant Sead Haksabanovic an hour into last week's Round 2 tie, which West Ham comfortably won 3-0.

Embed from Getty Images


"I was nervous," he admitted. "It was a big crowd, the biggest I've played in front of. When I got on, Nobes pulled me in and said 'just do your thing'.

"As soon as I got a touch on the ball it felt real. I got to do what I love; play football, but on that stage. I really felt comfortable and enjoyed myself after that."

* Something to say about this story? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.

Related News