Thanks all, says departing Hernandez

  • by Staff Writer
  • Monday, 2nd September 2019

Javier Hernandez says he left West Ham United with nothing but good memories of his second spell in England.

The Mexican international completed an ?8million switch to La Liga side Seville earlier today, but still found time to offer his thanks to everyone involved in the club from Manuel Pellegrini to the supporters.

"Thank you West Ham for granting me the opportunity to be my home during these past two years," he wrote via twitter.

"I leave with the best memories and I wanted to express my total gratefulness to the club, managers, teammates and the fans."

Embed from Getty Images


Earlier in the day Hernandez - who spent just over two seasons at West Ham following his summer 2017 arrival at the club - checked into his new club by saying that he felt "blessed" to have been afforded the opportunity to extend his career in La Liga.

"I have only seen positive things and it is a blessed opportunity that is given to me," he said during his first press conference as a Sevillista.

"I know the responsibility that comes with wearing this shirt. Ambition was what made me come here and I hope to return the trust the club have placed in me.

"Football here is a religion and there is a demand that makes each player make the best of himself. I am going to adapt to what is asked of me. What I am passionate about is playing and I will enjoy it."

Meanwhile a number of Hammers fans have expressed their concern regarding the decision to allow Hernandez to depart, which leaves Manuel Pellegrini with only Sebastien Haller and the untested Albian Ajeti as first choice strikers.

Embed from Getty Images


"People talk about us hanging on till the January transfer window but that's four months away," wrote Colours never run on the KUMB Forum.

"We ain't talking about just a few weeks away, that's a lot of football and points to fight for. The hope will be the two out-and-out strikers remain both fit and in form. If that doesn't happen, we will suffer to function properly going forward."

However not everyone was unhappy to see the 31-year-old Mexican international depart.

"All in all a disappointing two years," wrote fellow KUMB member Het-Field. " He scored, but not to the extent we hoped. He played, but not to the extent he needed to.

"At a visceral commercial level, the deal makes sense as we recoup about ?12-?15million in wages saved and transfer fee - but he risk taken is big, and is contingent on Haller staying fit."

* Something to say about this story? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.

Related News