Everton 2-0 West Ham United

  • by Staff Writer
  • Saturday, 19th October 2019

Manuel Pellegrini has much work to do after watching his side fall to their first away league defeat of the season.

Having been beaten at home by Crystal Palace in their most recent outing, it was imperative that West Ham produced a better performance at Goodison Park against a team that started the game in the bottom three.

However the Hammer were comprehensively outclassed by an Everton side who won the game at a canter thanks to a worryingly inept performance from the Hammers.

Embed from Getty Images

The opening goal of the game came shortly after stand-in goalkeeper Roberto had made a fantastic save from Tom Davies, who was denied by the Spanish stopper from just three yards out.

Yet that stop was to count for little when Everton opened the scoring on 16 minutes, when Bernard managed to squeeze the ball under Roberto from an acute angle having been allowed too much space and time in the box by West Ham's defence.

The Hammers, who went into the game as slight favourites had to wait until the 26th minute before providing a cross - and 35 minutes before creating an effort at goal; a tame header from Pablo Fornals that was easily saved by Jordan Pickford.

Embed from Getty Images

And both of those arrived after Everton were inches away from double their lead when a Richarlison effort beat Roberto but not his post.

Hopes that West Ham would provide a stiffer challenge after the break evaporated less than a minute after the restart, when Everton waltzed through United's defence before Richarlison found the net with a header.

Fortunately for Pellegrini's side, on this occasion the Brazilian was ruled offside - and the 'goal' didn't stand.

West Ham had a great chance to draw level four minutes later when substitute Andriy Yarmolenko - who had been dropped from the starting XI due to concerns over his fitness, following his heroics for Ukraine last week - found Fornals unmarked in the box.

Sadly, the Spaniard - with the goal at his mercy - scuffed his shot, much to the relief of England goalkeeper Pickford who watched it go wide.

As the game wore on, Everton continued to pile on the pressure and had a second effort ruled out for offside 12 minutes from time.

Embed from Getty Images

Alex Iwobi, taking advantage of some ball-watching by West Ham's defence saw a shot brilliantly saved by Roberto before the resulting corner was headed home - only for it to be mysteriously disallowed.

Had West Ham scored at that point, that decision would no doubt have been the cause for much controversy.

Yet in the end, the second and final goal of the game went to the hosts who put the game beyond West Ham deep into injury time. Substitute Gylfi Sigurdsson found the top corner from 20 yards having left Jack Wilshere on the deck with a drop of the shoulder - and that was the end of the game as a contest.

* Something to say about this story? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.

Related News